Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. I mean I was only responding to the words the math is wrong :). The formula looked right but yes, bias/spin will change the value to be a % of a value, or a % more of a value
I just didn't want to slip back into that argument because people can't understand that 25% and 33% can mean exactly the same thing depending on how the sentence is written. Not calling anyone out specifically.

tbh I just misread rabbits equation and missed the `*1,777`, and when I did the math I got the 'different' result, his explanation clarified it great without the extra page of follow on posts :p

One thing i wish alex mentioned was how games look when compared to the native resolution they are being upscaled from rather than native 4k. Is the improvement noticeable with fsr upscaling from 1612p versus a native 1612p? What are the performance trade offs of that ect

I didnt go in expecting fsr to be as good as native 4k but i was expecting comparisons from basic 1440p to fsr upscaled from 1440p ect.

One thing i wish alex mentioned was how games look when compared to the native resolution they are being upscaled from rather than native 4k. Is the improvement noticeable with fsr upscaling from 1612p versus a native 1612p? What are the performance trade offs of that ect

I didnt go in expecting fsr to be as good as native 4k but i was expecting comparisons from basic 1440p to fsr upscaled from 1440p ect.
But didn't he do just that (from 10m20s onwards in the video)? He is comparing FSR to simple upscale to Unreal Engine TAA.

Yeah but only for fsr performance vs 1080, I would like to see comparison for fsr ultra quality
1440pupscaler9jvj.png

I made one with Quality mode in the end for comparison as I was going to make more, but the game required an internet connexion to their server to test - and halfway through our testing FSR, the game stopped working and did not connect to the server. In the end I limited my comparison to the 1080p result in the video because it proves the point that TAA U is superior to FSR at a similar cost - something the screenshot above also shows for a higher quality mode if you just look at it.

1440pupscaler9jvj.png

I made one with Quality mode in the end for comparison as I was going to make more, but the game required an internet connexion to their server to test - and halfway through our testing FSR, the game stopped working and did not connect to the server. In the end I limited my comparison to the 1080p result in the video because it proves the point that TAA U is superior to FSR at a similar cost - something the screenshot above also shows for a higher quality mode if you just look at it.

Why does the FSR screenshot seem to have temporal artifacts? Was the camera moving?

Look at the left glove, to the left of her butt and the sky next to the tree trunk. All sorts of weird splotches that can’t be the result of upscaling.

1440pupscaler9jvj.png

thx, disappointing results here

Why does the FSR screenshot seem to have temporal artifacts? Was the camera moving?

Look at the left glove, to the left of her butt and the sky next to the tree trunk. All sorts of weird splotches that can’t be the result of upscaling.
Because she is moving (moving in both screens mind you, I linked up the animation so that the screenshot occurs at the exact same moment in the animation cycle)
TAA is on in the FSR side - because this game uses TAA. FSR applies after TAA.

Saw similar artifact in the DF GodFall video where falling leaves floating across the metal disk the character is standing on ... like a comet trail appearing behind leaf. Timestamped below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back