Windows 10 [2018]

Ugh, I don't like it. I hope there's an option for the taskbar to be the more traditional look with it being left justified. I hate that centered look. I hate that the start menu will move around depending on how many windows/applications you have open.

Regards,
SB

Dev build 21996 was leaked - so far the new Start Menu UI looks exactly like the earlier Windows10X 'Sun Valley' screenshots, everything else looks like the current 'Cobalt' Dev build. But there's probably a full year of development ahead until the final release...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/251941/windows-11-first-impressions

In essense, live tiles have been removed from the Start Menu. 'App tiles ('Pin to Start' command) have been converted to Pinned icons in the Start menu. 'News and Interests' has a new place in the 'Widgets' sidebar, launched with a separate Taskbar button.

The Maximize button has new window snapping controls:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

Setup experience is updated as well:

https://www.neowin.net/news/hands-o...ild-new-setup-experience-ui-changes-and-more/

NB the Taskbar / Start can be aligned to the left corner, if you prefer so:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/251954/windows-11-a-few-more-screenshots
went to Windows Update, and this appeared to me a few minutes ago.

NGXYlYx.jpg

This is standard text for preview builds, 'for Windows 10 Version Next' is replaced with 'for Windows 10 Version 2004', 'Version 20H2', 'Version 21H1' etc. after moving to the release channel. Look under Update history - Quality Updates.

Last edited:
This is standard text for Dev channel builds, 'Windows 10 Version Next' would be replaced with 'Version 2004' or 'Version 21H1' on RTM.
tbh, it's the first time I see the Next word on all the updates I made. The latest being 21390 dev channel, an update I installed 2 days ago.

finally updated to this latest version, restarted the computer and I see no change at all. Everything looks/feels the same for me.

The Maximize button has new window snapping controls:
This I very much like.
Loooooong overdue to have some user-friendly easily discoverable windows snapping features.

Most of the rest pretty much meh.
I dub thee idOwS XP

They need to up the requirements for the hardware. Windows 10 will run on 20 year old machines. I hope they don't do upgrades and you actually have to go out and purchase it. It will be a slower up take but I think in the end it be better for the ecco system

If they absolutely insist on going this "free to play" route then at least provide a version we can purchase that allows you to turn off tracking and advertising crap. I really don't want MS going the way of Google/Facebook for their consumer business model.

So Windows 11 changed his fan curves and boost limits for temperatures and thus let the CPU run much faster but at the cost of much higher temps and ludicrous fan noise. I'm not sure how that is a good thing at all and doesn't indicate the OS itself is faster for that particular test but just that it let the CPU run hotter and faster.

Yes at the point he noticed there is a new power profile he should have checked into the details of that & re-jigged his test to either try to match power settings or renamed it 'Win11 new turbo power mode is fast'

Ugh, I don't like it. I hope there's an option for the taskbar to be the more traditional look with it being left justified. I hate that centered look. I hate that the start menu will move around depending on how many windows/applications you have open.

Regards,
SB
There's a setting to left align and turn the old start menu back on, at least in the leaked isos.
They need to up the requirements for the hardware. Windows 10 will run on 20 year old machines. I hope they don't do upgrades and you actually have to go out and purchase it. It will be a slower up take but I think in the end it be better for the ecco system
Not doing upgrades would massively screw over desktop enthusiasts and custom system builders.

So Windows 11 changed his fan curves and boost limits for temperatures and thus let the CPU run much faster but at the cost of much higher temps and ludicrous fan noise. I'm not sure how that is a good thing at all and doesn't indicate the OS itself is faster for that particular test but just that it let the CPU run hotter and faster.
If you watch there is a second test where windows 11 comes in at the cpu running higher speeds but lower temps

There's a setting to left align and turn the old start menu back on, at least in the leaked isos.

Not doing upgrades would massively screw over desktop enthusiasts and custom system builders.

How would not allowing upgrades screw them over ? Windows is a one time cost . Windows 10 is going to be 6 years old in July. $100-200 for an optional purchase is not the end of the world

If you watch there is a second test where windows 11 comes in at the cpu running higher speeds but lower temps
Different workloads? I'm referring to the 3dMark test, comparing the same test on both OS.

Hopefully this new power profile will be smart enough to automatically budget the powered according to needs.

Non issue on desktop but a huge benefit for laptops where the cooking system is basically shared between cpu ang gpu even for those that didn't use APU.

Different workloads? I'm referring to the 3dMark test, comparing the same test on both OS.

And geek bench was

Windows 10 Windows 11

Single Core 1138 1251
Multi Core 6284 7444
clock speed 4.8ghz 4.9ghz
Temp 97c 93c

So same test on both and windows 11 is faster and runs cooler.

Also the cystalmark tests were faster on windows 11.

I am sure this is also not a final version

Back