Apple is an existential threat to the PC

Its for many a reason to go with an iphone/ipad, due to the many OS updates. Thing is, compared to Android its kinda hard to compare like for like, as Android is modular, software (even core) is usually updated via the playstore, while IOS updates usually everything with a whole new OS update. Android phones might see fewer OS revisions but also need fewer.

Sure but you are talking about features. An Android phone can get new features for years but might not recieve anymore security updates after 2 years. Regardless non tech people cant be bothered with updates, they arent the ones that will push to install iOS 15 when it releases

people buy iPhones because its a strong brand, easy to use and reliable and often lasts many years without slowing down. Apple might cheap out on 4K screens and 120 Hz but their chips are 2 gens ahead. And that matters for smoothness

Sure but you are talking about features. An Android phone can get new features for years but might not recieve anymore security updates after 2 years. Regardless non tech people cant be bothered with updates, they arent the ones that will push to install iOS 15 when it releases

Thats not entirely true. Samsung phones get three full OS updates and after that some years of security updates aswell. My S7 got two full OS updates, and the last security update november 2020. Thats almost five years of updates total, not that bad i think. Beginning with the S10 line of phones, samsung extended its OS updates to three years, ontop of the security updates ofcourse. With in mind that android doesnt need as much full OS updates as IOS does, their quite even to me.
Bring in custom roms for the more popular phone ranges and your quite golding with an android i think aswell.

people buy iPhones because its a strong brand, easy to use and reliable and often lasts many years without slowing down. Apple might cheap out on 4K screens and 120 Hz but their chips are 2 gens ahead. And that matters for smoothness

It sure is and Apple/IOS devices do entertain a stronger 3rd party support for apps, aswell as a more solid integration of software features and ecosystem. Though i have to say the differences arent that big anymore between android and IOS, big name 3rd party apps are mostly equal, software and integration is getting closer aswell.

Today is the next Apple event with M1Pro (upto 10 CPU cores, 16 GPU cores, upto 200 GB/s memory bandwidth ) and M1Max (10 CPU cores and 32 GPU cores, upto 400 GB/s bandwidth). But no word if it can run Crysis.

I'm watching this now and the specs do seem crazy for the power draw. Just utterly bonkers. I'd like to be a fly in the wall at Intel R&D right now.

I'm watching this now and the specs do seem crazy for the power draw. Just utterly bonkers. I'd like to be a fly in the wall at Intel R&D right now.
that 4339 CAD pricing for the base model Max though. It's definitely going to ride higher from there. That's gotta be one hell of a job to get some good ROI out of the max.

To what AMD/NV gpu's does this compare to? 10.4TF for sure doesnt sound it'd be competing with anything AMD or NV has to offer other than low end range.

To what AMD/NV gpu's does this compare to? 10.4TF for sure doesnt sound it'd be competing with anything AMD or NV has to offer other than low end range.
It is faster than AMD 6600m But also it has 4096 shader vs 1792 from AMD. I think Clock speed is 1,3 GHz vs 2.2 GHz AMD

if the power benchmarks are to be believed and there is no throttling under regular loads, then this would be extremely high end by the numbers. Performance per watt is insane. Performance per $ is astronomically bad.

if the power benchmarks are to be believed and there is no throttling under regular loads, then this would be extremely high end by the numbers. Performance per watt is insane. Performance per $ is astronomically bad.

So still no chance (or better said risks) of Apple powering our next consoles and pc's? :p

According to Apples own benchmarks M1 Max performance drops in between RTX 3080 in Razer Blade 15 Advanced and RTX 3080 in MSI GE76 Raider, while M1 Pro beats RTX 3050 Ti in Lenovo Legion 5

Meanwhile competition still even doesn't have access to 7nm EUV. TSMC has become kingmaker and AMD doesn't have the pockets to play, Intel was late to the party but they threw some major money at 3nm at least but not for consumer ICs. I wonder whether there was some under the table negotiations there with Apple "yeah you can sell a little bit of space, but only if it's not consumer".

According to Apples own benchmarks M1 Max performance drops in between RTX 3080 in Razer Blade 15 Advanced and RTX 3080 in MSI GE76 Raider, while M1 Pro beats RTX 3050 Ti in Lenovo Legion 5

While that looks like very nice performance at first glance, seeing the pricings, im not seeing Apple taking over our next consoles and pc's.

While that looks like very nice performance at first glance, seeing the pricings, im not seeing Apple taking over our next consoles and pc's.
And they wouldn't want to. To Apple, other platforms aren't relevant. Everyone should only be using Apple products and their ecosystem.

And they wouldn't want to. To Apple, other platforms aren't relevant. Everyone should only be using Apple products and their ecosystem.

Makes sense. They'd release a home video console of some sorts for example. Anyway, theres a rather huge notch on those mac pro's.

Today is the next Apple event with M1Pro (upto 10 CPU cores, 16 GPU cores, upto 200 GB/s memory bandwidth ) and M1Max (10 CPU cores and 32 GPU cores, upto 400 GB/s bandwidth). But no word if it can run Crysis.

So it's 6/8+2 14/16 GPU cores (M1Pro) and 8+2 and 24/32 GPU cores (Max). The new MacBook Pro seems to be heavier and thicker.

In Crysis Trilogy remastered?

And Apple has killed the touch bar.

Last edited:
Back