Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Well it does raise the question of whether the problem wasn't actually motion vectors but a bug in DLSS that is now fixed.
Honestly, particles without motion vectors is a thing that has to be fixed on render engine side because there are way more solutions to this problem that can be done by renderer's means (masks, separate passes, motion vectors, etc) rather than trying to fix the ill-posed problem in post-processing.
TAA, for example, fixes the issue by simply removing too much of details across the whole screen with color clamping, that's a pretty poor solution for image detalization, but it works well for ghosting removal on particles, etc.
DLSS, TSR are the opposite, they are trying to preserve as much details as possible with neural nets or more complex heuristics, but these heuristics can break hence they need additional implementation effort from devs.

Not exactly sure about the procedure, but some people claim reduced artifacts in other games through a "hack" process. So sounds like combo driver and game patch update.
Cyberpunk 2077 DLSS 2.1 vs 2.2 : nvidia (reddit.com)
Driver is mostly irrelevant. You can swap the NGX DLSS DLL in the game's folder to a newer one and it may work. But this is basically the same "patching" which the devs should do.

i forget what the internal resolution % of dlss quality or balanced is. Tsr 100% is native resolution.

Assuming the percent given is the percent along either the horizontal or vertical axis rather than the total pixels then:

DLSS Quality = TSR 66% = 1440p
DLSS Balanced = TSR 58% = 1253p (not sure this is what DLSS Balanced uses but I'm assuming it to be the case)
DLSS Quality = TSR 50% = 1080p

I took screen shots of the stills for direct comparison and a Performance and Balanced DLSS has a clear advantage while at Quality DLSS seems to have a very slight advantage. I noted that closer to the camera TSR does relatively better to the point where in Quality/66% TSR looks better very close to the camera but DLSS still looks better for the majority of the screen.

DLSSQ.png

TSR66.png

z.png

DLSSB.png

TSR58.png

DLSSP.png

TSR50.png

Imo stills are not going to be the way to judge this, rather motion. Temporally accumulating to make a high res Image with no movement is old hat, even a basic checkerboard with no rejection over two frames does that. What happens when the screen moves is most important.

Imo stills are not going to be the way to judge this, rather motion. Temporally accumulating to make a high res Image with no movement is old hat, even a basic checkerboard with no rejection over two frames does that. What happens when the screen moves is most important.
Stills are still important to judge the detail retention/reconstruction capabilities. Motion for temporal accumulation, ghosting and other artifacts.

edit: / instead of 7

Last edited:
Back