Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Considering the PSVR's very low resolution for VR, to the point of limiting the type of games that are playable on the platform, I really hope the resolution improvement well above slight.
960*1080 per eye is really bad for VR, nowadays. Sony really shouldn't launch anything below 2K*2K per eye IMO.

Can you provide any examples of it limiting game design? I know that text was a problem (and navigating the menus in Skyrim VR was a bloody nightmare) but I thought text was an issue across all headsets due to their fixed focal length?

I seem to recall someone from Oculus giving a presentation some years ago discussing proposed solutions. Given Sony's expertise in cameras and lenses, this should be quite doable for them. Although maybe cost is prohibitive?

I know this is fanciful and won't happen, but I think it'd be quite cool if they took a modular approach. Swappable screens, swappable lenses (fixed IPD, adjustable IPD, maybe even prescription lenses) optional wireless + battery pack. A means of keeping it cheap for the mass market but of optional high quality for those willing to pay. That also has the side effect of keeping it pretty straightforward to repair.

Can you provide any examples of it limiting game design?
Me trying to discern anything past 10 meters away from my viewpoint, even in games rendering at 4K and then downscaled to the headset's 1080p.

The X-Wing VR demo on Battlefront 2 was great to see the details in the cockpit, but once you get to actual dogfights you're literally chasing pixelated blobs.

Playing Squadrons on my 1440×1400 / eye WMR headset was much better, but it's still lacking resolution.

You realise if they increase the resolution everything will get smaller

Did you gets confused with how higher resolution in monitor = more view area in most apps and games?

The game and apps can be designed for a high dpi display and everything will be the. Same size

High resolution in VR is more like "render resolution scaling" slider. Where you can slide below. / above 100% and the size and view area stays the same

Reactions: snc
Nope did you not realise a 50 pixel wide object will look smaller on a display that has smaller pixels

thats the misconception i meant.

the 50pixels wide object in higher resolution display will be displayed at more than 50pixels to keep the size the same*.

You can test this yourself by sliding up/down the "render resolution" slider in steam VR overlay. Destiny 2 and cyberpunk 2077 also got render resolution slider.

*assuming the same display physical size, optics, etc

he 50pixels wide object in higher resolution display will be displayed at more than 50pixels to keep the size the same
then why do my desktop icons get smaller when I increase the resolution ?
and in games when I lower the resolution objects get bigger and in rts games i see more of the map as the resolution increases

Last edited:
then why do my desktop icons get smaller when I increase the resolution ?
and in games when I lower the resolution objects get bigger and in rts games i see more of the map as the resolution increases

in desktop, more resolution = more view area. Because the icons, etc are defined in pixels. You can use the windows scaling to make them larger.
in the RTS game you mentioned, it also uses more resolution for more view area.

VR games use more resolution to provide more detail / smoother image. So you can play a game at 1440x1600 per eye in Quest 1, but play at 1832x1600 per eye in Quest 2... the view area will be the same.

Because Quest 1 and Quest 2 have the same view area specification.
Also because its in VR, if the game camera use higher FoV in higher resolution, it will result in weird visuals despite it shows more view area. Because the FoV no longer in-spec with the lenses.

Think of it this way. You have 2 - 27" monitors. One has a native resolution of 1920x1080 and the other has a native resolution of 2560x1440.

Start up just about any game like Flight simulator, for example, and configure them to render at the displays native resolution.

You'll see the exact same thing on both displays. The only difference is that the higher resolution display will be sharper due to the higher rendering resolution, but what is rendered will be the same on both screens.

Basically what is rendered is independent of what resolution it is rendered at.

Regards,
SB

One has a native resolution of 1920x1080 and the other has a native resolution of 2560x1440.
This.

And in the specific case of PSVR, you have the equivalent of a 1280*800p monitor per eye in pixel amount. Put that 800p monitor one inch from your eye and you can discern the individual pixels when the screen is white.

It's still great for a 1st-gen headset introduced 5 years ago, but for PSVR the resolution is definitely the most important low-hanging fruit to take care of.

110 is a little more than the Index, which is best in-class for a headset that doesn't look more ridiculous than Black Mantis.

From that video, Sony is apparently wants a focus on AAA titles than release on flat screen and VR. That's a rather interesting approach, given what tends to work well in VR. Maybe their head rumble does amazing things for VR sickness!

Encouraging remasters for PSVR1 titles sounds ominous for back compatablity.

110 is a little more than the Index, which is best in-class for a headset that doesn't look more ridiculous than Black Mantis.

From that video, Sony is apparently wants a focus on AAA titles than release on flat screen and VR. That's a rather interesting approach, given what tends to work well in VR. Maybe their head rumble does amazing things for VR sickness!

Encouraging remasters for PSVR1 titles sounds ominous for back compatablity.

I didn't expect backwards compatibility for titles which use the move controller to be honest. Too much of a difference there to make it viable without a specific patch or new code for a lot of games I imagine.

Eye tracked foveated rendering confirmed? Extremely impressive if so. Also duel 2kx2k OLED screens is very nice. And if the head rumble can really help motion sickness that would be a massive advantage over other headsets. Hell this could convince me to get a PS5 rather than a new gen PC headset although I'll wait to see how they compare around launch time.

maybe the decision of bringing more PS titles to the PC would mean they could make the PSVR2 PC compatible.

Probably Sony will do what they usually do. Not blocking pc but also not releasing the proper software for pc. Letting the community make the proper software.

The headset will also use standard USB c right?

Back