Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

"- The PC version runs at 2160p using DLSS in quality mode with an RTX 3080.
- SeriesX and PS5 run at a dynamic resolution of 1080p~2160p, but SeriesX maintains a higher average resolution. SeriesS runs at dynamic 576p~1080p resolution.
- Loading times are faster on Series S|X.
- The 3 console versions maintain a good rate of 60FPS. Series S|X suffer random drops of one or two frames, but they are practically imperceptible.
- All versions use Ray-Tracing in global lighting, although it is more limited on consoles. SeriesS in some areas does not seem to render light bounces well.
- Regarding shading, the PS5 / SeriesX versions have a somewhat lower quality than the PC. The SeriesS version must settle for a lower quality and the absence of shadows as in certain vegetation.
- The PC version still has a clear advantage in texturing, especially due to the use of tessellation. Series S has a somewhat lower quality than PS5/SeriesX.
- On PC, the drawing distance and shading in distance are higher compared to SeriesX / PS5. SeriesS, in this case, has a fairly limited draw distance in open areas.
- It would have been interesting to offer a version without RT in SeriesS to obtain a higher resolution, but it's a great work on all platforms."

Higher avarage res on xsx, slightly better perf on ps5 so quite normal tough strange that ps5 has slowest loding times, devs didn’t spend much time to utilize ps5 io probably

Higher avarage res on xsx, slightly better perf on ps5 so quite normal tough strange that ps5 has slowest loding times, devs didn’t spend much time to utilize ps5 io probably

yeah on neighter console, it seems they used what is availabe in the api
"...There's a lot of that is handled natively, or pretty much all of that is handled natively on the platform API side. And the fact is that those SSDs are just super fast..."

intresting bit here

"
[Wccftech] Did you evaluate the implementation of other DirectX 12 features like Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback when developing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? Are you planning to use them in future titles?

Ben Archard: As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project.

Sampler Feedback, again, it's something we'll look into. I like the look of it, but it needs to be experimented on. In Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition we do have Variable Rate Shading, a Tier 1 implementation that we use to reduce the actual number of pixels drawn for our transparent effects. That helps performance a little bit, but we haven't gone fully into Tier 2 VRS yet."

source:
https://wccftech.com/metro-exodus-e...are-much-more-powerful-than-we-first-thought/

But having in mind that development was probably hell due to constant sdk updates that break a lot of things we have to be happy that it looks and runs as it does today.
I am sure if the tools were better/more mature they would have more time to implement more features.

yeah on neighter console, it seems they used what is availabe in the api
"...There's a lot of that is handled natively, or pretty much all of that is handled natively on the platform API side. And the fact is that those SSDs are just super fast..."

intresting bit here

"
[Wccftech] Did you evaluate the implementation of other DirectX 12 features like Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback when developing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? Are you planning to use them in future titles?

Ben Archard: As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project.

Sampler Feedback, again, it's something we'll look into. I like the look of it, but it needs to be experimented on. In Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition we do have Variable Rate Shading, a Tier 1 implementation that we use to reduce the actual number of pixels drawn for our transparent effects. That helps performance a little bit, but we haven't gone fully into Tier 2 VRS yet."

source:
https://wccftech.com/metro-exodus-e...are-much-more-powerful-than-we-first-thought/

But having in mind that development was probably hell due to constant sdk updates that break a lot of things we have to be happy that it looks and runs as it does today.
I am sure if the tools were better/more mature they would have more time to implement more features.
In the end its just free update

From the 4a breakdown on their site:
Speaking of async compute, our typical 16ms frame has about 12ms of work on async-queue.
-- not a surprising resolution differential considering.

Bummer about the loading times on both consoles.

I wonder what is going on with resolution ranges. Why the hell devs chose higher bounds on XSX at cost of unstable frame rates? Do they don’t have any tools to check how it affects performance? Are they being over optimistic in case of XSX and over pessimistic in case of ps5?

I wonder what is going on with resolution ranges. Why the hell devs chose higher bounds on XSX at cost of unstable frame rates? Do they don’t have any tools to check how it affects performance? Are they being over optimistic in case of XSX and over pessimistic in case of ps5?
What johnny awesome said -- plus, the ps5s clocks are probably to its benefit when avoiding the occasional dropped frame.

good point, I think they could make slightly more aggressive dynamic res, resolution would be still slightly higher than on ps5 but same perf tough on the other hand is not that there are often drops so maybe whatever ;d

Agree. But it still makes me wonder If DF easily can spot places when performance drops devs surely have better performance tools and could iron out those drops. Don’t get me wrong I still think those few frame drops occasionally are not a big deal. Just purchased the game it looks and runs fantastic.

bottleneck differences between the two systems. Dynamic resolution is higher because but frame rate worse because the algorithm that determines what size the frame should be detects (based on the inputs) it should be at that frame buffer size. So the bottleneck is elsewhere for them.

Changing resolution may not necessarily resolve the issues, if it does, there is an input into their DRS system that they missed.

Thank you very much @iroboto and thanks for always putting so much effort in your responses. Great to have access to such knowledge. Much appreciated. If you ever visit Sweden beer is on me

Thank you very much @iroboto and thanks for always putting so much effort in your responses. Great to have access to such knowledge. Much appreciated. If you ever visit Sweden beer is on me
Oh I have no knowledge. No one knows how their DRS is setup, whether it be based on the last frame, or inputs for next frame, etc. No clue.

LOL. Every one of my comments should have an asterisk or considered wrong.

Typically my assumption here is in a perfect world with resolution changing based on last frame, you shouldn’t have consistent stuttering or dips. That’s a sign either something else is at play or the aggressiveness of DRS needs to be much more rapid.

the reason I wrote what I did is because it’s become somewhat a pattern here for XSX to be like this, more resolution vs less frame dips. And I think the idea that this is becoming a pattern it probably a signal here that they are comfortable pushing XSX to its limits where some dips are acceptable for the overall gain because the dips are either not numerous enough to matter or not significant enough to hurt. And pushing PS5 may not have a similar consistent performance behaviour when they push it to the limit, perhaps it’s a little more wild as a result of that clock frequency going up and down so they need to be a little more conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back