Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

It looks nice. The main issue for me is the graphics are meant to scale from Xbox One to Xbox Series X and will continue for "years" according to the video above.

Will there be a stage two years down the line where the graphics and streaming tech get overhauled once people get over using the Xbox One or will the hardware of the XSX always be underutilised throughout the course of this game being available?

It looks nice. The main issue for me is the graphics are meant to scale from Xbox One to Xbox Series X and will continue for "years" according to the video above.

Will there be a stage two years down the line where the graphics and streaming tech get overhauled once people get over using the Xbox One or will the hardware of the XSX always be underutilised throughout the course of this game being available?

I'd expect it to get overhauled over time if they really do plan on having this be a constantly evolving engine/game where you're just buying Battle Passes (for PVP) and campaigns (for single player).

So, if we look at other similar games that do this kind of thing (Warframe, Mechwarrior Online, World of Tanks, etc.), they all have their graphics (including game engine) regularly updated to keep up with technology advances. This includes updating older art assets.

For example, Warframe I think took a year or two to update all older textures to PBR textures with higher resolution. And they've recently redone all art assets using Oodle (this might still be in progress, as they were doing them in phases to prevent players from having to download 30+ GB of data in one update), which required an engine upgrade in addition to replacing all existing art assets. I fully expect that sometime in the next 1-2 years they'll start adding RT as well. As it is, they now do yearly updates to the graphics rendering engine.

Presumably Halo will have a significantly larger budget, so these types of things should happen more quickly.

Regards,
SB

Another (extreme) example is star citizen, its adopting to new hardware all the time, still not beaten visually, although its more of a tech demo than a game.

For a game that is probably expected to last the whole of this generation, it's less about overhauling the graphics but everything else that may be tied to last gen.

It will be Intresting if at some point last gen gets dropped for any future updates.
Especially as I said last year, they can support it via streaming which it sounds like they may be doing for current gen games on XO anyway.

Anybody else want a Craig plushie? LOL

Sacred Icon Podcast said:
Bonnie, the focus on Big Team Battle was perfect. Awesome, seriously great stuff.

On a scale of 1-10 what is your influence on
@HaloGear
to sell some Baby Cortana & Craig plushies to hang from our rear view mirror?

seriously though

Bonnie Ross said:
Thanks, Craig holds a special place in our 343 hearts as well. A Craig plushie would be nice...

Tommy McClain

Someone did a compare of the Assault Rifle...

0xk83evia9571.jpg

Tommy McClain

It was worth it to delay the game imo, the latest footage really does look good, very good. Also, i think Infinite was going to be native 4k/60fps on XSX right?

IMO it looks fine it’s not exceptional by any means but it looks clean.

Looks pretty good, IMO. Not among the best, but pretty good.

The one major drawback, and this will be shared by many many games for a few years still, is that after seeing the UE5 demos, the world geometry is quite noticeably low.

If developers can fully leverage nanite in UE5, that's going to be a far more noticeable graphical improvement in game graphics than anything RT has done til now, IMO. That says a lot considering how I really like the RT lighting in Metro: EE (even with the drawbacks that I've posted about before). I'm so so happy that RT means that the death of AO is just a matter of time now. But even that just doesn't hold a candle to the much more detailed environments that nanite has the potential to enable.

So, basically what I'm saying is that the world geometry is disappointing, but only because UE5's demos make the world geometry in all games look low poly now. And it just makes displacement mapping look sooo sooooooooo bad in comparison.

Regards,
SB

Looks pretty good, IMO. Not among the best, but pretty good.

The one major drawback, and this will be shared by many many games for a few years still, is that after seeing the UE5 demos, the world geometry is quite noticeably low.

If developers can fully leverage nanite in UE5, that's going to be a far more noticeable graphical improvement in game graphics than anything RT has done til now, IMO. That says a lot considering how I really like the RT lighting in Metro: EE (even with the drawbacks that I've posted about before). I'm so so happy that RT means that the death of AO is just a matter of time now. But even that just doesn't hold a candle to the much more detailed environments that nanite has the potential to enable.

So, basically what I'm saying is that the world geometry is disappointing, but only because UE5's demos make the world geometry in all games look low poly now. And it just makes displacement mapping look sooo sooooooooo bad in comparison.

Regards,
SB
geometry is the way it is because that was the aim here. Not sure if that's an excuse to try less, but that's certainly written about. They wanted easy, clean, no clutter, open wide. I would have preferred what they had in the Halo Infinite engine demo imo.

Given that some developers have reported on the trouble with this game's engine, does it seem likely this engine will be used for the next Halo game, or will it be scrapped in favour of another?

To my mind, it would make sense to make another Halo ~3-5 years down the line, and really turn some heads. This entry ought to sustain interest and remain profitable for a long enough time for MS to be able to take some time for the next entry.

If someone was going to play the multiplayer what questions would you ask that person or want them to be on the look out for

If someone was going to play the multiplayer what questions would you ask that person or want them to be on the look out for
I think from a technical perspective, Halo is pretty good for arena. I think one area i wanted to excel at more is the combat design. How do the guns feel when you shoot them, how they feel when you connect/headshot. Satisfaction of killing your opponent etc.

The issue I found with Halo is that at times, it can be sterile in MP from time to time. Battle Rifle specifically can be among the most sterile guns I can think of.

Other than that, pacing and environment control. Leveraging map strengths, being able to find a way to play the way the player likes to play.

I think one thing that is going to help is that there won't be the same pressure to make a new Halo as often as in the past due to the studio acquisitions. Over the last 20 years there have been 7 Halo games.

MS owns: Halo, Gears, Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein. Wow. They can take their time now. :)

sharlene-lin-camp.jpg

Decent look at the campaign from someone's artstation. It looks fine, I was worried more about the bizarre super stylized stuff with cartoony proportions art style from last year, rather than hoping Halo was going to be brought back to some sort of great forerunner of modern game tech. Halo hasn't been the latter since Halo 3 14 years ago, frankly bringing back a good campaign and art style are enough for me.

Though I definitely won't be touching the multiplayer. I don't trust "free to play" games one iota, the entire financial structure for them encourages the design of "engagement skinner boxes" that get people addicted but without any feeling of enjoyment, rather than "being actually fun to play". At least BF looks fun and is sticking with "pay up front". TF2 going downhill with neverending unbalanced items and hats and shit should've been more than enough for anyone.

I don't care what anyone says. This game looks amazing to me. I love Chief's design, I love the new "Cortana" design, I love Gareth Coker's music and the OST sounds amazing. I love the cutscene direction. Steve Downes *bow*, and I love the gameplay I've seen so far both campaign and MP. It looks like the Halo game I've wanted for a long time.

haloinfinite_campaign01_3840x2160-wm-15719f94c8794f90ac3618f74d99a7b8.png

haloinfinite_campaign02_3840x2160-wm-52b73c9956e14488be803f6f4c2a9074.png

haloinfinite_campaign03_3840x2160-wm-49ef9110969a48a39cdddfb203aefcea.png

haloinfinite_campaign04_3840x2160-wm-7e23f1364cd949d9ba3aec97c7590a00.png

"The missions change.... they always do"

I got chills :love:

Last edited:
Back