Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with the trailer format. It looks like Rich & company didn't know about this other presentation scheduled for Thursday? Wonder if they will look at any of the ID@Xbox demos launched today? Please review Tunic!

Tommy McClain
MS didn’t announce it until much later.
They needed to plan this better than this

maybe next year. Most people can only handle so much change.

Night and day!

GORGEOUSSSSSS.

Great video @Dictator !!

unfortunate performance for Series S, so the 1080p marketed did not hold. But simultaneously still holding on more than enough to be considered shippable (see Cyberpunk). Quite an interesting scale down here, and worth a larger debate of whether or not this is what players want? or would rather forgo RT and stick with something without.

Hard to say, I think I recall a lot of people saying that they would prefer lower resolution but with graphics approaching lifelike than higher resolution and not. Resolution does not trump graphical quality - so now that the piper has arrived, how do people feel about this now? Does resolution trump graphical fidelity? Curious to see where people stand on this, because there was a very strong opinions that resolution didn't matter in the face of graphical quality.

I think it's acceptable (considering it's also 60fps) and a step in the right direction. I think it's successful, you're playing a next gen game, that is functionally next gen, at 60fps, with scaled down settings. I would have been interested to see if there was a 30fps option here for Series S.

I don't know if an AI upscaler here would have better response than TAA (I have my doubts) but if such a thing were possible that would really help out Series S here. Still impressed by how well it performed given the available power on the Series S.

Last edited:
So, XBSX internal render around 1728p to 1080p minimum, with 4K reconstruction. And XBSS internal render around 1080p to 512p minimum, with 1080p reconstruction.

So, XBSX internal render around 1728p to 1080p minimum, with 4K reconstruction. And XBSS internal render around 1080p to 512p minimum.
Yup. Other reduced items on Series S like draw distance etc. But yea those are the raw numbers. Pretty solid 60fps for the most part, some dips, VRR here is desirable for a perfect experience.

I remember some debate (not here) that PS5/XBSX ME: Enhance Editions was supposedly native 4K @60fps. Whoever believed that was smoking crack... :yep2:
I don’t recall anyone thinking it would be native. But upscaled or dynamic 4K. I can’t imagine a post saying it would be native, traditional titles aren’t often native at 4K60 as it is.

I don’t recall anyone thinking it would be native. But upscaled or dynamic 4K. I can’t imagine a post saying it would be native, traditional titles aren’t often native at 4K60 as it is.

*cough* Gaf *cough*

I was being somewhat diplomatic, but some believed that the original announcement of ME:ED running native @4K/60fps with RT on next-generation consoles. That 4K reconstruction was never mentioned. But some folks have blinders when it comes to their favorite hardware.

Edit:
https://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/...-for-playstation-5-and-xbox-series-xs-upgrade
Metro Exodus will run at 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

We’re targeting 1080p on Xbox Series S, but the other benefits above will apply, including 60 FPS and full Ray Traced lighting throughout.

*cough* Gaf *cough*

I was being somewhat diplomatic, but some believed that the original announcement of ME:ED running native @4K/60fps with RT on next-generation consoles. That 4K reconstruction was never mentioned. But some folks have blinders when it comes to their favorite hardware.

Edit:
https://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/...-for-playstation-5-and-xbox-series-xs-upgrade
yea that's unfortunate. I think I would have given them the benefit of the doubt if we didn't have as many data points as we do now. Now that we have all this data where games land approximately, people should really be pulling back extraordinary expectations. I feel like what we see with Insomaniac's latest titles are more or less pushing the limits here. There would have to be new innovations on the software side developed to push ahead further. There's a limit to how far 'wizardry' can go with RT, real-time RT requires calculation, and that eats budget no matter what you do.

I don't know if an AI upscaler here would have better response than TAA (I have my doubts) but if such a thing were possible that would really help out Series S here.

Certainly the comparison here paints quite a stark contrast between DLSS and the TAA upscaler. Although it sounds like the base resolution on the XSX in this scene it somewhere between 1080p-1296p whereas on the PC it's 1440p so not a fair comparison. Still, I doubt DLSS performance mode (base res 1080p) would look anywhere near as bad as the XSX image here.

yea that's unfortunate. I think I would have given them the benefit of the doubt if we didn't have as many data points as we do now. Now that we have all this data where games land approximately, people should really be pulling back extraordinary expectations. I feel like what we see with Insomaniac's latest titles are more or less pushing the limits here. There would have to be new innovations on the software side developed to push ahead further. There's a limit to how far 'wizardry' can go with RT, real-time RT requires calculation, and that eats budget no matter what you do.
I guess they used 60fps because of the temporal component on their RT solution. Wouldn't work that good with 30 fps e.g. even at 60 fps you can see the the flashlight lagging behind the movement.

ME:ED video side-stepped comparison with PC version.

The turned-off tessellation is horribly glaring in my opinion, especially as the game was originally designed with tessellation as an intrinsic part of its rendering.

Still it's fun to see that ray tracing on the consoles is rapidly evolving to quality far beyond pre-next-gen expectations.

No RT reflections on consoles is a big disappointement. I think in current engines the most visible problem is screenspace reflections and not GI that can be really well done even without RT (and without lag).

Because I really didn't like the very noticeable lag (20 frames) sometimes displayed by their RT GI tech on the PC version. Is that lag still there? Because he didn't talk about it in the video (well the written article) and it seemed to me like a big flaw of their tech.

No RT reflections on consoles is a big disappointement. I think in current engines the most visible problem is screenspace reflections and not GI that can be really well done even without RT (and without lag).

Because I really didn't like the very noticeable lag (20 frames) sometimes displayed by their RT GI tech on the PC version. Is that lag still there? Because he didn't talk about it in the video (well the written article) and it seemed to me like a big flaw of their tech.
if I recall correctly, temporal RT-GI has been employed here and a few other titles trying to replicate the RT GI ness. It keeps performance high while delivering the results, but as you said, it's noticeable at times.

The turned-off tessellation is horribly glaring in my opinion, especially as the game was originally designed with tessellation as an intrinsic part of its rendering.
No tessellations, lesser draw distance, less accurate shadows, missing screen space reflections on many materials, Variable Rate shading set to 4X, and most importantly, using less RT than the lowest RT option on PC (several objects discarded from the BVH, artifacts .. etc), all while upscaling from 1080p in busy scenes.
New ME:ED video side-stepped comparison with PC version.
I am guessing for comparison, a RTX 2060 super will give higher performance at similar settings.

I'm guessing the opposite. But DF decided to duck the comparison.

He didnt duck the comparison, you cant compare them 1:1. The consoles use a mix of various settings from all over the place which you cant replicate on PC. All the PC Metro games lack the granularity in settings we usually get in other games. Metro Exodus runs worse on amd than nvidia in every benchmark done on PC's, so it would make sense it would run even worse than Legion did on the same hardware, as Legion doesnt have that kind of discrepancy between vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back