Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Dude,... Concussions from haptics, new level of FUD achieved. That would be something else if it was plausible. I doubt this could ever even happen even if someone tried. Some government instance would forbid importing/selling such device.

Football, boxing, mma,... The hits there are "just a little bit harder" than for example ps5 controller can provide. I doubt they would put a sledgehammer into headset. Apparently mma has less concussion issues than football. There is something real bad happening in football. It's pretty insane considering explicit mma knockout video in spoiler (Dude gets hit fcking hard, head bounces from canvas and extra fist to face to finish the job. Crazily enough mma is more safe than football and boxing based on cte statistics.

And that was low power Ngannou :runaway:

I question the feature on any head gear. Like I said I am not the only one.

It also wouldn't be the first time someone released a product for consumers that was later found to be bad for their health

If someone suffers measurable brain damage from the vibration motor of a DualSense.... they were never long for this world. They'd have migraines whenever a butterfly flitted by, suffer nosebleeds whenever caught in rain, and wince at whispers.

For me, the more pressing question is: could this be as annoying as tits on a horse?

Having never heard that expression, I'm trying to work out why a horse with tits would be annoying. I suppose it would be rubbish for show jumping.

I think the main reason is that they'd be impossible to enjoy. A bit like that photoshopped picture of Putin (NSFW.)

They'd be terrible for jump racing, as they'd run the risk of getting torn off. Pretty annoying. I suppose a horse bleeding to death while surrounded by disembodied jubblies might not be considered annoying by some, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

Even for the more humane hurdle-less races, a spectacular set of norks would warrant a horse sports bra/sports horse bra. And ever since I got kicked in the head by a horse when I was a child (true story! :D ) I've been left somewhat dubious of attempting to dress horses in human clothes. That's what dressage is, right?

Tbh I was reaching for an expression and it was late, so I went with whatever was mellifluous :D

I think the main reason is that they'd be impossible to enjoy. A bit like that photoshopped picture of Putin (NSFW.)

They'd be terrible for jump racing, as they'd run the risk of getting torn off. Pretty annoying. I suppose a horse bleeding to death while surrounded by disembodied jubblies might not be considered annoying by some, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

Even for the more humane hurdle-less races, a spectacular set of norks would warrant a horse sports bra/sports horse bra. And ever since I got kicked in the head by a horse when I was a child (true story! :D ) I've been left somewhat dubious of attempting to dress horses in human clothes. That's what dressage is, right?

Tbh I was reaching for an expression and it was late, so I went with whatever was mellifluous :D

Thread derailment in spoiler. Horse sports bra made me remember this old stuff

not really a fan of either. I am just pointing out that its not just concussive hits to the head but non concussive and the more frequent the worse it is . I am not saying the vibrations will cause damage from the head set. I am just asking if its safe. I have never had anything on my head for hours a day that vibrates.

I will be interested to see how its implemented and what comes out of it
The problems with repeated blows to the head is still similar to the problem of full on concussions - it is caused by impacts. Some haptic sensory information is absolutely nothing like that.

I honestly cant foresee any health concerns over this specific technology. I think you have a very exaggerated idea of what this is actually gonna be.

The problems with repeated blows to the head is still similar to the problem of full on concussions - it is caused by impacts. Some haptic sensory information is absolutely nothing like that.

I honestly cant foresee any health concerns over this specific technology. I think you have a very exaggerated idea of what this is actually gonna be.

You say that, but I've just seen a prototype.

Isn't some headphones already have build in vibrator to give more oomph to low freq?

The impact probably gonna be similar to that but with much better feeling.

As HD vibration also can deliver proper music.

try playing dualsense on a thin wooden table or a glass, it will make an audible sound, and if you funnel a music to dualsense, you'll hear the music.

You can put dualsense with enough pressure to the bones in the head near the ear and you can hear it

One important holdout remains: Sony Group Corp. plans to use Samsung Display Co. OLED panels in its next-generation PlayStation VR goggles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The Japanese console giant sold more than 5 million units of the original PS VR, launched in 2016, and is aiming to release the successor in the holiday period next year, the people said, asking not to be named discussing internal plans.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ne-lcd-screen-maker-pivots-to-virtual-reality
oled for psvr2, holiday 2022

I wonder if this will do anything to kickstart interest in PSVR again. 5 million means the platform never took off. That gives it a little over 1 million units per year averaged over that time period. Considering that when it launched it sold 1 million in the first 9 months then another 1 million in the next 9 months, sales have obviously tapered off significantly.

That is, of course, understandable since the hardware is almost 5 years old, which is absolutely ancient in VR terms.

Just looking at some sale data and evidently in 4Q 2020 (calendar year not fiscal year), in 3 months Quest 2 sold over 1 million units while PSVR sold over 125k units with the expensive Valve index only moving 60k units. Quest 2 is expected to account for 87% of all VR headset sales in 2021 by SuperData.

I do wonder if the PSVR 2 will be able to challenge the Oculus Quest headsets (either 2 or the likely 3rd edition that's likely in the works) as they do have the benefit of being able to be used wirelessly.

I'm quite interested to see the specs for PSVR 2. If it's good enough I might try to get one to use with a PC.

Regards,
SB

hopefully PSVR2 will be sold at a profit and it gave sony a real incentive to also officially support it to be used as PCVR.

I wonder if this will do anything to kickstart interest in PSVR again. 5 million means the platform never took off. That gives it a little over 1 million units per year averaged over that time period. Considering that when it launched it sold 1 million in the first 9 months then another 1 million in the next 9 months, sales have obviously tapered off significantly.

That is, of course, understandable since the hardware is almost 5 years old, which is absolutely ancient in VR terms.

Just looking at some sale data and evidently in 4Q 2020 (calendar year not fiscal year), in 3 months Quest 2 sold over 1 million units while PSVR sold over 125k units with the expensive Valve index only moving 60k units. Quest 2 is expected to account for 87% of all VR headset sales in 2021 by SuperData.

I do wonder if the PSVR 2 will be able to challenge the Oculus Quest headsets (either 2 or the likely 3rd edition that's likely in the works) as they do have the benefit of being able to be used wirelessly.

I'm quite interested to see the specs for PSVR 2. If it's good enough I might try to get one to use with a PC.

Regards,
SB
I think will outsell quest 2 with ease, psvr1 is now very old, low res, bad controllers, ps4 is too weak. Tough there is risk if it will not be success this time it can be last sony attempt in vr. Specs:
https://uploadvr.com/psvr-playstation-4k-eye

Last edited:
I think will outsell quest 2 with ease, psvr1 is now very old, low res, bad controllers, ps4 is too weak. Tough there is risk if it will not be success this time it can be last sony attempt in vr. Specs:
https://uploadvr.com/psvr-playstation-4k-eye

I'm not sure, especially if it still requires wires in addition to the PS5. That will allow a much higher level fidelity than the Quest 2 (when not used with a PC), but at a higher cost in both money and convenience.

The resolution is decent and with the rumored OLED screens, the panels should be quite nice compared to other high resolution VR panels currently in use. Although the screens are being made by Samsung and I'm not a particular fan of their pentile arrangement for their OLED screens. Perhaps they'll unveil something new with the launch of the PSVR and Samsung will ditch pentile.

Two really big questions remain for me. The most important being whether it has a physical IPD adjustment or not. The lack of one meant that PSVR was completely useless to me. I briefly tried it out as I was curious if the convenience of easily taking it on and off would outweigh the drawback of its resolution. But alas, without the IPD adjustment it was an unpleasant experience. Second is if they've managed to significantly improve the FOV. Something all VR headsets are still woefully lacking.

I'd also be quite pleasantly surprised if they allowed some kind of optional wireless mode, even if it means the purchase of an wireless add-on. Along with the lose cost to start playing games on the Quest 2, one of the main reasons it's vastly more successful than any previous VR headset is that it can be used completely untethered. Something that also drove Quest sales, although that's since been dwarfed by Quest 2 sales. So I'm hoping that Sony include something WRT wireless use. A lot is going to come down to whether they want to drive adoption with a low cost, or are consigned to it being a niche market and offer superior hardware at a higher cost.

Regards,
SB

I'd love for there to be two tiers of headset and a wireless adapter that's compatible with either. 20:9 equivalents of 1440p and 2160p.

Given that it's going to be powered by the PS5, wireless with a slight improvement over PSVR 1's resolution is all that I really want.

Given that it's going to be powered by the PS5, wireless with a slight improvement over PSVR 1's resolution is all that I really want.
Considering the PSVR's very low resolution for VR, to the point of limiting the type of games that are playable on the platform, I really hope the resolution improvement well above slight.
960*1080 per eye is really bad for VR, nowadays. Sony really shouldn't launch anything below 2K*2K per eye IMO.

Back