Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Dsoup you're over thinking it. The lack of response is because most people here rather play on their PC than change their platform of choice. Which is at odds with all the people that belly ached about losing something from their platform of choice.
You may be overlooking that people may be able to play on PC but their preferred platform of choice may be PS5. I'd wager that people's consoles are hooked up to their big TV in the lounge where controller gaming is in its prime but I doubt most people have their PC hooked up to a TV.

Given the choice, I would not play games on PC - the game has to have relatively poor performance on console for me to play something like an action RPG (Elder Scrolls Fallout, Mass Effect) on PC rather than a console. My Series X is now my Fallout 4 box, having replaced my PC. My PC can run it faster at higher and with more mods but 1080p60 is enough for me for Fallout 4 and all my mods run too.

Console experience FTW. Is Windows 10 upto date? Is Steam upto date? Is the game upto date? Never an barrier to the urge to play on a console. :nope: Everything is always upto date even if I've not used it in a week or a month.

Now that's it is confirmed exclusive, are any Playstation owners considering buying an Xbox or at least getting Game Pass to play it?

Tommy McClain

I'll bite. I don't have a gaming PC anymore and I own a PS5.

I loved my Xbox 360 and OG Xbox. I haven't ever owned an Xbox One and don't have a Series console.

I'd consider buying an XSX when they make games that fully take advantage of the hardware. I've not yet seen games that do that. I'm also not a big Bethesda gamer; I enjoyed Oblivion and played Fallout 3, but that's about it.

None of the games they've showed have much appeal to me. I'm not much of an RPG gamer at all. Halo Infinite looks nice, only it appears to be held back by the Xbox One, the geometric detail is very low and could easily pass for an Xbox One X game to my eyes.

I'm not interested in Gamepass, since I don't play enough games to justify it. I'd prefer to buy games outright, otherwise if I'm committed to paying a monthly fee, then I wouldn't spend on the games I actually want to play.

I like Xbox, it's just that their games and their strategy doesn't work for me right now. That may change in the future though. I'm not yet in a position where I'm considering buying one.

It's a shame that these games are lost to the PS market now and I've spent many hours in Skyrim and Fallout but there is nothing particularly amazing about them, or on the Xbox in general, that I would miss enough to consider buying one as well as my PS5. Besides, I'm genuinely excited about seeing what will appear to fill the gap left by these games being absent.

If Starfield ends up being anything more than a Skyrim in space, where you can actually climb a ladder, then I might consider it on the PC.

I'd wager that people's consoles are hooked up to their big TV in the lounge where controller gaming is in its prime but I doubt most people have their PC hooked up to a TV.
Console experience FTW. Is Windows 10 upto date? Is Steam upto date? Is the game upto date? Never an barrier to the urge to play on a console. :nope: Everything is always upto date even if I've not used it in a week or a month.

Its quite intresting to see these arguments still in 2021 :p

I'd consider buying an XSX when they make games that fully take advantage of the hardware.

Sony has the upper-hand here so far yes, they have some games that utilize the hardware, even if it aint much.

A maintenance nightmare? Maybe 20 years ago, that might be your memories of PC.

Windows and Steam games update automatically. In fact my PS4 was always far more annoying for updates as downloading anything from their network always takes forever then applying patches is very slow.

Its quite intresting to see these arguments still in 2021 :p
Because it's still a thing in 2021. As somebody who is definitely more of a casual gamer, and prefers to game with a controller on a big TV from the sofa, my PC is used only for games and doesn't get anywhere near as much time switches on. Microsoft drop weekly security updates, there are semi-weekly/month general maintenance updates, two massive Windows updates every year that are absolutely guaranteed to break my Xbox controller and require removing the dongle and re-inserting and re-pairing it, and Nvidia driver updates every time a new game is about to be released. Many of these require a restart, sometimes multiple restarts. Then there are endless Steam/Epic Games Store client updates - and their games generally won't update unless the client is also updated - none of which as far as I can tell can be automated. Why can't I tick a box in Steam settings that just has the client download, auto-install and re-start the client? WTF. And to make any of this happen the PC has to be on a lot or auto-scheduled to start and sleep at set times because this is - obviously - no equivilent to the super-low-power modes on consoles.

My Switch, PS5 and Series X all sit there quietly in their respective low-power sleep modes, auto-downloading OS updates ready to be installed in around 30 seconds and also keep all the games updates so the longest delay I ever get is under a minute - very occasionally.

If your Windows PC is your main driver for email and other work, all of this is just part of your desktop OS experience and you probably don't notice it but when your PC is just another box for running games, the amount of maintenance required compared to a console is nuts.

My Switch, PS5 and Series X all sit there quietly in their respective low-power sleep modes, auto-downloading OS updates ready to be installed in around 30 seconds and also keep all the games updates so the longest delay I ever get is under a minute - very occasionally.

If your Windows PC is your main driver for email and other work, all of this is just part of your desktop OS experience and you probably don't notice it but when your PC is just another box for running games, the amount of maintenance required compared to a console is nuts.
If your daily driver is a laptop and you have an entirely separate PC just for gaming in another part of the house, it's a hassle to keep the PC updated. New drivers, game updates etc. If you're using that PC for everything for your life, it's a non-issue really.

I do find mouse and keyboard to be less ergonomic than I want it to be, I can still get wrists and forearm pains as a result of excessive use. Controllers significantly better in that respect, typically overuse results in very sore thumbs (though cramping occurs on PS controller than Xbox) but aside from that, it's more accessible to a lot of people I think.

One incredible soul decided to say "yes". :)

Not the kind of soul I normally get called, but I'll take it.

A streaming stick would be a great way to dip your toes into Xbox with minimal investment. What about your phone or tablet?

Phone would likely be the way that I would try it out if I wanted to dabble in a few different games. But that's pretty unlikely, since I tend to just focus on a single game for weeks at a time.

If I decide to buy GamePass for a month or two for a specific game with high production values, then I'd rather play it on a big screen.

You did say you wouldn't buy a Series console. Is it the upfront cost that's the issue? Would you consider Xbox All Access to get a Series S & Game Pass Ultimate for $25/mo?

Aye, the upfront cost, as well as the fact that it's fairly wasteful of me to buy a second box to do the same job as my PS5, bar a handful of games. I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving a dongle unused for most of the year.

I don't know if there's the All Access thing in the UK, but I hate paying for things in installments. I don't need to enter into credit agreements to save up money and buy something. And in the act of saving up the money for a Series console, I'd have saved up enough money to buy something a bit more vital, whether that's some boots, a dehumidifier, some timber, a holiday, or just good old hookers and blow.

I do find mouse and keyboard to be less ergonomic than I want it to be, I can still get wrists and forearm pains as a result of excessive use. Controllers significantly better in that respect, typically overuse results in very sore thumbs (though cramping occurs on PS controller than Xbox) but aside from that, it's more accessible to a lot of people I think.
Controllers shouldn't really be considered a console-thing, at least not for the last 10 years. I use my Xbox controller on my PC for games more than my mouse/keyboard, game dependent of course. Even CP2077 I used controller and it's my preferred method for games unless it's ideally suited for m/kb.

@Tkumpathenurpahl thanks for the candid response!!

So maybe it wasn't a bad idea to make Starfield exclusive after all. It's getting consideration from a couple of people not on Xbox.

I think the dongle is shaping up to be a great idea for people to dabble in Game Pass. I sure wished we would have heard something about it. :/

Tommy McClain

Controllers shouldn't really be considered a console-thing, at least not for the last 10 years. I use my Xbox controller on my PC for games more than my mouse/keyboard, game dependent of course. Even CP2077 I used controller and it's my preferred method for games unless it's ideally suited for m/kb.
yea I think I just feel a ton of pressure to use kb/m when we're in a competitive game on PC. I've tried controller and I can't keep up. There's no autoaim on PC, so there's a bigger learning curve there for me I'm not used to dealing with.

yea I think I just feel a ton of pressure to use kb/m when we're in a competitive game on PC. I've tried controller and I can't keep up. There's no autoaim on PC, so there's a bigger learning curve there for me I'm not used to dealing with.
There is controller autoaim in more titles than you may think. A majority of CoD PC gamers in competitive circles use controllers, which provides you aim assist. But titles like CoD Warzone tend to be more situational tactic shooters rather than titles like CS:GO where aim twitch shooting is king.

There is controller autoaim in more titles than you may think. A majority of CoD PC gamers in competitive circles use controllers, which provides you aim assist. But titles like CoD Warzone tend to be more situational tactic shooters rather than titles like CS:GO where aim twitch shooting is king.
interesting, will give this another shot. Apex Legends I find too hard to keep up on PC lol... but okay worth noting that it's still feasible.

So maybe it wasn't a bad idea to make Starfield exclusive after all. It's getting consideration from a couple of people not on Xbox.

It's a terrible idea to make it unavailable across the largest console market but it's also not going to bully people into the xbox ecosystem. By the time it comes out it'll be Bethesda who? And a wiki entry. I don't see any reason for PS gamers to be upset other than had not MS decided to play the pay to win game these games would be getting the market penetration they, hopefully, will deserve. It's more a case of feeling sorry for the Bethesda and the rest that they will just fade into the general noise of the PC gaming jungle.

It's a terrible idea to make it unavailable across the largest console market

Way to lower your market potential. I think I would rather go after the 3 billion gamers playing across all devices(phones, tablets, PCs & consoles) instead of just the 150-200 million gamers on consoles?

Someone sounds salty. ;)

BTW, if you're web browser & Internet is good enough on the PS4/PS5 then you could still use the xCloud version.

Tommy McClain

Back