Xbox & Bethesda Games E3 2021 Showcase

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-g...ninja-theory-rare?utm_source=facebook,twitter

"Microsoft has announced an Xbox Games Showcase: Extended presentation that will take place on Thursday, June 17 at 10am PT/1pm ET/6pm BST and will feature conversations with Double Fine, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Rare, and more."

"It's important to note that Microsoft specifically mentions that this show will feature "conversations with developers" and makes no mentions of big reveals. "

Yep & Parris Lilly is hosting it too! Love that guy!

Tommy McClain

I had to think about this as I've played quite a few RTS in the past few years, but high-profile ones are relatively rare.

Total War, Civ, Crusader Kings, Stellaris, EUIV - almost everything that Paradox and Creative Assembly clank out is an RTS and both companies are relentless.

Yeah Replaced and Somerville were definitely stand-out titles for me.

Replaced looks great for sure. There was a lot of confusion on whether this a new game by or if was just a new name & developer for The Last Night game announced in 2017. They had developing & funding issues after one of the creators was being cancelled for his pro-Gamergate support(what a lowlife). They went quiet after that, but with Replaced announced there's been new confirmation that The Last Night is still being worked on & will eventually come out, but most likely after Replaced though.

Here's the 2017 reveal trailer for The Last Night...

They do both look VERY similar.

Tommy McClain

Total War, Civ, Crusader Kings, Stellaris, EUIV - almost everything that Paradox and Creative Assembly clank out is an RTS and both companies are relentless.

Civ (I'm assuming Civilization games) is turn based.

I'd forgotten about the Total War series. Shame on me, considering their excellent take on the Warhammer Fantasy world.

I don't play 4x games much anymore, so I'm not aware of which ones are real time versus turn based. As well, most Paradox games aren't exactly high profile. :p

Much like all the RTS games I've played recently, they're very low key niche releases.

For example, the RTS games I mentioned all had high profile advertising campaigns and are known by many people who don't even play RTS games. OTOH - something like Grey Goo or 8 Bit Armies made by former Westwood Studios developers are known by RTS players but almost no-one else. And again had very low key releases with almost non-existent marketing campaigns.

Which is totally different from the heyday of RTS releases. Everyone who gamed on PC knew about Impossible Creatures, Rise of Empires, Warlords Battlecry III, Battle for Middle Earth, Empire Earth, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Mech Commander, Supreme Commander, Total Annihilation, Warcraft, Starcraft, Command and Conquer, Homeworld etc. etc. Sooooo many really good RTS games that everyone who gamed on PC knew about because they were high profile releases with high profile advertising campaigns. I could go on and on and on.

While there are still some quite good RTS games being released, there really isn't anything high profile and there aren't many being released. And the quality in general has gone down with some few exceptions. Hell, most of them have been so relatively bland and not well executed that I can't even remember the names of most of the RTS games I've played in the past 5 years (about 10 or 12 of them). Oh Battlefleet Gothic 2 was pleasantly nice with some really good lore from the Warhammer 40k universe. But again, low key and most people don't know aboutt it.

Regards,
SB

No love for Replaced? To me it was the best looking game I've seen on show.

I surely see the artistic vision but the gameplay doesn't excite me...at all.

"Seems" to be inspired by 30 year old Flashback which was surely a fantastic game in....1992:)

P.S. I'm just not into Indies. Wish them all the luck though.

I had to think about this as I've played quite a few RTS in the past few years, but high-profile ones are relatively rare.

The last one that had a ton of publicity would probably be Ashes of the Singularity which came out in 2016 or Halo Wars 2 in 2017. I use "or" there as Halo Wars 2 was a bit of a clunky port to PC which prevented it from being really good for me and it didn't get as much hype or publicity as Ashes of the Singularity.

I miss when we used to get multiple quality RTS games a year.

Regards,
SB
talking of which, the other day I got Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak 'cos I remembered a post of yours wholeheartedly recommending it. As of now I am so into Divinity Original Sin 2 DE that it takes all my play time, but I am going to try Homeworld next.

3q2fRd8.jpg

So I've had some time to reflect on the Xbox show and I'd give it an 8/10. Probably the best MS has done in 8 years.

They certainly showed the value of GamePass and enough games to keep me busy for the rest of the year:

Sea of Thieves APL
The Ascent
Flight Sim
Twelve Minutes
Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Shredders

Here are the reasons I don't give them a 10/10:

They're a little behind IMO on some projects (probably COVID related). It would be nice if they had an RPG ready (Fable), or even an action adventure title (Hellblade 2).

They also don't have anything to match Sony on the character front yet like Ratchet & Clank, Kena, God of War, or Horizon FW, so I don't think they'll be peeling many PS fans off with what they've showed so far.

As an Xbox fan, I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:
They're a little behind IMO on some projects (probably COVID related). It would be nice if they had an RPG ready (Fable), or even an action adventure title (Hellblade 2).
Thinking about, unless I'm overlooking some goods, there is not much on the single-player AAA/AA RPG calendar coming up. Is Starfield the next big one? Bloodlines 2 has kind of sunk without a trace. I suppose we can all replay Witcher 3 this year with the console update.

Back