Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Technically this game looks good and the gameplay seems fun, but I wish they weren't mechanical dinos. I also wish the protagonist was a little more appealing. The glowing effect is overdone too.

So much for that free upgrade from PS4 version to PS5 version of the game that Jim Ryan talked about...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

While it wasn’t mentioned in Sony’s official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like “Horizon: Forbidden West” and “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” aren’t exclusive at all. They’re both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony’s commitment to “next gen” development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

And the official PlayStation Blog post about free upgrades from PS4 edition: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

So much for that free upgrade from PS4 version to PS5 version of the game that Jim Ryan talked about...
I don't understand, your highlighted quotes indicates the upgrade is free?

I don't understand, your highlighted quotes indicates the upgrade is free?
yea it's a bit confusing, the quote from Jim Ryan indicated it would be free.

If you look at the post above the other posts (lol), it's pay walled to certain editions only. Brit is quoting the 'free upgrade path' from 2020 news articles. The official news about upgrade paths are Digital Deluxe, regalla, and Collectors.

yea it's a bit confusing, the quote from Jim Ryan indicated it would be free.

If you look at the post above the other posts (lol), it's pay walled to certain editions only. Brit is quoting the 'free upgrade path' from 2020 news articles. The official news about upgrade paths are Digital Deluxe, regalla, and Collectors.
ahhh I missed his prior post, that makes sense. Thank you.

Another one of those "well I didn't lie" stupid situations that everyone hates. Here's a fucking fact for companies. If you have to pay more to get a version that has the "free" upgrade path, then it's not free. I don't give a shit what kind of marketing spin you put on it.

Seems like part of the perks of the various different editions are what poses you'll be able to use during Photo Mode. It's not clear if you'll be able to acquire the cosmetic poses via microtransactions in the game or some other reasonable means.

Photo Mode is a huge part of Horizon Forbidden West and not a paid feature. Some Editions include extra poses for Photo Mode.

ahhh I missed his prior post, that makes sense. Thank you.

Another one of those "well I didn't lie" stupid situations that everyone hates. Here's a fucking fact for companies. If you have to pay more to get a version that has the "free" upgrade path, then it's not free. I don't give a shit what kind of marketing spin you put on it.

yep this is straight up BS and I hope Sony fans will call it.

Jimbo is going all in with his short term accountant strategy. Playstation needs to get rid of him cause he is currently damaging the brand. When is he retiring?

Jimbo is going all in with his short term accountant strategy. Playstation needs to get rid of him cause he is currently damaging the brand. When is he retiring?

As long as PlayStation keeps making more and more money, probably not going to retire for a long loooong time. He's only 53, so he's not that old either.

Regards,
SB

That would be true, if it weren't for the fact that most consoomer will eat it all up regardless and ask for more.

The main thing that is missing is upgrade path from PS4 only edition to PS5.
Also it is preferable to have all PS5 version come with PS4 version. It might cause a problem tho with PS4 owner trying to buy PS5 disc version of the game (to future proof) since I'm not really sure how PS4 handle PS5 disc.

The multiple editions doesn't really bother me, but it definitely need TLDR version (which one get what with a simple list, preferably comparison in table format).

Also when they announced that PS5 games will be more expensive I knew that there will be no free upgrades, especially for new games, so it is stupid for them to promise free upgrade back then.

Anyway, I expect Sony to announce that you can do a paid upgrade from PS4 to PS5 version if they have any brain cells left.

Back