Forza Horizon 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I like the idea of using cloud streaming in order to demo a game. But racing games, really need precise controls to feel good otherwise it's too easy to over-correct and end up with a horrible driving experience. The racing genre is likely to be even worse with streaming latency than FPS games.

So there's the potential that demoing Forza Horizon 5 via streaming may actually convince people that the driving in the game is so bad that they shouldn't get it or play it.

Regards,
SB
true, but you should get an idea if you enjoy it somewhat, but I get where you are going with this. If you don't enjoy the xcloud experience you may just stop there. But that's on MS to resolve not snc.

I like the idea of using cloud streaming in order to demo a game. But racing games, really need precise controls to feel good otherwise it's too easy to over-correct and end up with a horrible driving experience. The racing genre is likely to be even worse with streaming latency than FPS games.

So there's the potential that demoing Forza Horizon 5 via streaming may actually convince people that the driving in the game is so bad that they shouldn't get it or play it.

For me the problem with latency sensitive games has been the patchiness of the sessions. Some are perfectly playable and others aren't. We'll see if XSX socs yield more consistency, as it's not my connection.

I probably will never like the idea of streaming even though it might be the future of consoles, but the idea of gamepass is a very good one and having streaming as a bonus to check out something is something i can very much live with.

For me the problem with latency sensitive games has been the patchiness of the sessions. Some are perfectly playable and others aren't. We'll see if XSX socs yield more consistency, as it's not my connection.

Most people also still use. 2.4 ghz wifi or ancient 5ghz wifi. From streaming PCVR to quest wirelessly via ALVR, at minimum, it needs 5ghz wifi AC to work consistently smooth, with max 2 clients. Flat games streaming would require less than PCVR streaming so probably 5ghz wifi N is minimum?

Most people also still use. 2.4 ghz wifi or ancient 5ghz wifi. From streaming PCVR to quest wirelessly via ALVR, at minimum, it needs 5ghz wifi AC to work consistently smooth, with max 2 clients. Flat games streaming would require less than PCVR streaming so probably 5ghz wifi N is minimum?

Well, there's that, but I can have variable experience on a wired connection or consistent 5ghz AC connection.

PC minimum specs:

Forza Horizon 5 PC Minimum Requirements
MINIMUM:

• Processor: Intel i3-4170 @ 3.7Ghz OR Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVidia 650TI OR AMD R7 250x
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 80 GB available space
Now THAT'S how you scale a game!

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/forza-horizon-5-pc-minimum-requirements-first-official-screenshots/

And it'll quite likely run on even worse hardware than that. :p Although it'll also look like and possible run like it's running on worse hardware than that. :D

Regards,
SB

Keep in mind that Forza Horizon 5 still runs on the old engine, a new engine is in the work at Turn 10, which features new physics:
Forza Motorsport to Feature Brand New Tire Model, Tire Compounds (gtplanet.net)
Up to now, every Forza Motorsport game had treated the tire/track interface as a single point of contact for each tire, with the physics calculations updated 60 times a second. For the new Forza Motorsport, the tire contact patch features eight points, updating 360 times a second, resulting in a behavior model that is almost 50 times more detailed than before.
And that new engine will be used for the new Fable game.

Keep in mind that Forza Horizon 5 still runs on the old engine, a new engine is in the work at Turn 10, which features new physics:
Forza Motorsport to Feature Brand New Tire Model, Tire Compounds (gtplanet.net)

And that new engine will be used for the new Fable game.

Not many tires in Fable... ;-)

The "new engine" thing is generally marketing shorthand these days. How much engine code has been rewritten between Forza 5 and Fable/Next Motorsport?

I'm sure they'll be swaths of code that are common across all three.

Not many tires in Fable... ;-)

The "new engine" thing is generally marketing shorthand these days. How much engine code has been rewritten between Forza 5 and Fable/Next Motorsport?

I'm sure they'll be swaths of code that are common across all three.

dunno diffrence between ue4 and ue5 seems to be huge ;). I guess it all depends on context, maybe its a small upgrade or maybe they will rewrite whole thing to take advantage of new HW. Time will tell.

dunno diffrence between ue4 and ue5 seems to be huge ;). I guess it all depends on context, maybe its a small upgrade or maybe they will rewrite whole thing to take advantage of new HW. Time will tell.

Wrt UE4 to UE5, it doesn't seem like a huge change. It's just that Nanite/Lumen have a profound effect on visuals and environment production. A big shiny feature that lets them go to V.

I'm not diminishing the vast amount of work that goes into new features. I'm just feeling old and curmudgeonly about 'new engine' being chucked around as a marketing term.

I really want real info on what changes / what's involved in improving production tools. The new Motorsport might now has four tire contact modelled but did they choose to rewrite their physics engine? Why? What did that mean for redeveloping all the vehicle they include? What does it mean for Drivatars? Etc.

save yourself the risk and just get Game Pass Ultimate and stream it (or anything else you're interested in checking out) before you decide to invest into any hardware.

Browser support should be coming very soon.
not bad idea, also will wait for xsx gameplay with performance mode as can't see myself playing it 30fps

Wrt UE4 to UE5, it doesn't seem like a huge change. It's just that Nanite/Lumen have a profound effect on visuals and environment production. A big shiny feature that lets them go to V.

I'm not diminishing the vast amount of work that goes into new features. I'm just feeling old and curmudgeonly about 'new engine' being chucked around as a marketing term.
You might just have answered yourself: the new engine will probably have profound visual improvements, incorporating new features from D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_12_2 GPUs. And the thing is, a new engine IS in development, that’s why it’s taking so long. Plus they didn’t even shot “new engine” from the roof (feel free to go prove they did though), so why would you be so obsessed with asserting it as a marketing term?

Back