Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

The gameplay looks a bit rough and unpolished, but I thought the story and character aspects were very on point. :)

Character designs look great to me, except Starlords haircut. Way better than Avengers.

marvels-guardians-of-zjj5c.jpg

marvels-guardians-of-znk1u.jpg

marvels-guardians-of-8bjtl.jpg

marvels-guardians-of-9fkx6.jpg

I really liked the character design from the trailer. Which is surprising because I usually despise any kind of adaptation into a game from any Marvel IP.

Disney needs to give the Marvel IP to a different company. The characters look horrendous yet again.

I wonder if this was a deliberate choice. I assume Starlord looks nothing like Chris Pratt because of the actors likeness contract and if he looks like Chris Pratt then you need him for the dialogue - or a really good sound-a-likes if CP's likeness contract permits even another voice actor be attached to his likeness.

If you're at the point where you're changing the likeness of humans, the CGI ones (Groot and TrashPanda) will look weirder if they are true to the cinema visuals, so you shift the aesthetic for all the characters. I had always assumed this is why none of Marvel's video game characters (Avengers, Spider-Man) look like the movie actors.

They can't really win. If they stay close to the film, characters look like bargain supermarket versions of the actors. If they deviate too far people bounce off them looking nothing like their preconceived notions of what the characters should look like.

Last edited:
I wonder if this was a deliberate choice. I assume Starlord looks nothing like Chris Pratt because of the actors likeness contract and if he looks like Chris Pratt then you need him for the dialogue - or a really good sound-a-likes if CP's likeness contract permits even another voice actor be attached to his likeness.

If you're at the point where you're changing the likeness of humans, the CGI ones (Groot and TrashPanda) will look weirder if they are true to the cinema visuals, so you shift the aesthetic for all the characters. I had always assumed this is why none of Marvel's video game characters (Avengers, Spider-Man) look like the movie actors.
They can just draw off the comics. They have some 50 years of source material. There is no excuse other than incompetence for the characters in this and Avengers to look so awful.

It was hard to watch. The visuals are really weird, some scènes look like first games for ps4/xbo or worse. The hero's voice is horrible and sound so "cheesy", like a parody. Wtf was that...

its coming to switch also , just announced during the direct.

I bet this is why it looks visually unappealing

The designs don't look anything like the MCU films and is actually more lifted from the modern comics.

There's classic outfits too, I believe pre-orders just gives an early unlock. But yeah my only beef with the designs is for Starlord's face/hair but he always looked pretty generic in the comics anyway.

f6jkGyU.png

its coming to switch also , just announced during the direct.

I bet this is why it looks visually unappealing

It's a cloud version, so I don't think they would be hampered by Switch hardware.

The designs don't look anything like the MCU films and is actually more lifted from the modern comics.

There's classic outfits too, I believe pre-orders just gives an early unlock. But yeah my only beef with the designs is for Starlord's face/hair but he always looked pretty generic in the comics anyway.

It's a cloud version, so I don't think they would be hampered by Switch hardware.

So you can only play it when you have internet connection ? The switch has the worse wifi I have experienced since the psp go . I can't even get through a game of mario kart on wifi half the time and its 5 feet from the router

So you can only play it when you have internet connection ? The switch has the worse wifi I have experienced since the psp go . I can't even get through a game of mario kart on wifi half the time and its 5 feet from the router

Yeah, the Switch trailer even says persistent hi-speed internet connection is required.

Honestly the trailer to me ticks all the boxes that make me love the MCU Guardians: lots of action, goofy characters, Taika Waititi style of comedy and 80s covers.

It seems people are cautious about liking this game mostly because of how terrible the Avengers game came out, but they're made by two distinct teams. Avengers was spearheaded by Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) in San Francisco whereas Guardians is being made by Eidos Montreal (Deus EX).

Another thing that's apparently been bothering people is the fact that they're not taking the MCU actors' likeness for the videogames, which is a pretty valid criticism IMO. Both this and the Avengers game have their characters looking like bootleg versions of the actors making the movies. Was that really necessary though? Does Disney have to pay extra to the actors for using their likeness in videogames?

It seems people are cautious about liking this game mostly because of how terrible the Avengers game came out, but they're made by two distinct teams. Avengers was spearheaded by Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) in San Francisco whereas Guardians is being made by Eidos Montreal (Deus EX).

That was absolutely a concern of mine. I watched the trailer expecting to have the same disdain for it that I have for the shat out heap of chocolate-less Kinder Eggs locked behind card machines that was The Avengers. But the characters and dialogue in this trailer seemed like they might actually be fun.

Still, I'm dubious about the gameplay. We'll see, I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back