Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

Asobo I believe on Series consoles need to port it to DX12 for it to run well.

IIRC PC it's only DX11. Also likely requires some heavy CPU optimizations, IIRC @Dictator mentioned heavy CPU usage on the title.

Asobo I believe on Series consoles need to port it to DX12 for it to run well.

IIRC PC it's only DX11. Also likely requires some heavy CPU optimizations, IIRC @Dictator mentioned heavy CPU usage on the title.

I think they were working on dx12 path for both consoles and pc.

There are rumors that it might be a stealth drop during the MS show sunday or during their demo week stuff they are doing with the game show next week.

Well if we play the semantic game flight simulator launched the middle of august of last year. So if launch it on consoles before that it wouldn't be years later. It wouldn't even be a year later
But in no way can anybody claim this game has launched "simultaneously" across platforms. This was just such a dumb thing for Phil Spencer to say. Maybe he's not into sims and this slipped his mind, whatever it was wrong and stupid.

With all due respect but this discussion feels really stupid. Microsoft said their focus was going to be multi-platform releases for the first period. Which suits their vision of having an ecosystem that spans consoles and PCs, game pass etc where games can fairly easily scale although they don’t have to. It also doesn’t stipulate all versions need to be available day and date, I am pretty sure.

Sony said they were going to have PS5 exclusives, because they want to also innovate and bring stuff to the new generation that wasn’t possible before.

They never said they were going to ignore the PS4 from here on out, quite the contrary. For instance this article from early last year, nothing in there contradicts what is happening now:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...s_crossgen_games_risk_stifling_innovation.php

And in a follow up article:

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.gam...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

Which also very clearly states that PS4 owners will be supported for many years to come, as has always been the case in the entire history of playstation I might add.

I genuinely don’t quite understand the point of this debate.

Phil clearly qualified his statement about console gaming launching at the same time as PC. There are going to be PC games that don't make sense coming to console due to complexity or controls. So seeing PC games coming out first is no big deal & doesn't go against his comment. There might be have been a worthy argument if it was a console game coming out that didn't get released on PC at the same time, but that hasn't happened. Sounds like somebody has beef with Phil or having a bad day.

Anyway, it seems Microsoft feels it can finally bring Flight Sim over to consoles & do it justice. Will be interesting to see how they pull off the controls. BTW, anybody played Flight Sim on the PC with a console controller?

Tommy McClain

With all due respect but this discussion feels really stupid. Microsoft said their focus was going to be multi-platform releases for the first period. Which suits their vision of having an ecosystem that spans consoles and PCs, game pass etc where games can fairly easily scale although they don’t have to. It also doesn’t stipulate all versions need to be available day and date, I am pretty sure.

Sony said they were going to have PS5 exclusives, because they want to also innovate and bring stuff to the new generation that wasn’t possible before.

They never said they were going to ignore the PS4 from here on out, quite the contrary. For instance this article from early last year, nothing in there contradicts what is happening now:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...s_crossgen_games_risk_stifling_innovation.php

And in a follow up article:

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.gam...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

Which also very clearly states that PS4 owners will be supported for many years to come, as has always been the case in the entire history of playstation I might add.

I genuinely don’t quite understand the point of this debate.

It's not the same as previous generations, however. Yes, they did continue to support 3rd party developers releasing titles on the older consoles. But, how many of their 1st party releases were released for both the old and new consoles after the release of the new console?

So, it's understandable that when the head of PS very carefully chooses his PR wording to emphasize that there will be a clear generational line and that cross-gen games stifle innovation that this is deliberately meant to counter Xbox's messaging of cross-gen games for the first 1-2 years for 1st party titles.

It was purely a PR move as the comments came out almost immediately after MS announced cross-gen support for that extended launch window. And it worked brilliantly ... until now when it turns out that Sony also planned to have cross-gen games for the first X years with many of their 1st party studios.

Regards,
SB

But in those days they would still release games exclusively for the older platforms. The real change is that it is easier to do cross platform titles so games that would otherwise have been exclusive for one, including the old one, are now available on both.

But the only real difference is the interpretation you give to this as being a deviation from their messaging. But if you look at the actual things Sony have said, you should probably realize that you are projecting your own expectations based on previous generations?

But in those days they would still release games exclusively for the older platforms. The real change is that it is easier to do cross platform titles so games that would otherwise have been exclusive for one, including the old one, are now available on both.

Yes, the fact that cross-gen games exist now that did not exist previously is the point. When the head of Sony PR, very deliberately chooses his wording to put cross-gen games in as bad a light as possible due to Xbox's messaging that cross-gen will be standard for the first 1-2 years, that was clearly a PR move to make people think that cross-gen game = bad and Sony won't be doing that because they have a "clear generational line" just like they did in previous generations.

Basically past generations with very rare exceptions (almost all 3rd party games), a game was either the old generation or the new generation. Sony's head banked on that to score PR points by restating a dedication to a "clear generational line" as well as stating that cross-gen games stifle innovation. Statements that were timed to counter Xbox's messaging of cross-gen games for the first 1-2 years.

Obviously it's not just me that took them this way as most of the users on this forum and the internet in general also took them this way. And how can you blame them when you consider past generational shifts and the timing of the message?

All things that Sony's PR were counting on when they had him say those things.

Obviously people like me that predominantly game on PC knew that this was all a load of PR baloney. Cross-gen games do not stifle innovation in anything other than graphics and presentation. :p

Regards,
SB

Microsoft is the one that changed here, stating that they would not release anything exclusive for the Series X for the time being. It was this particular statement from Microsoft that made a statement from Sony inevitable, as journalists would ask them if they would do that too. They stated that no, they would release exclusives for PS5. And they did.

Also, did you forget that cross gen wasn’t a realistic possibility for PS3 to PS4 due to the completely different CPU architectures? Even then Sony did release several titles from PS3 to PS4 that you could even download for free when you owned the PS3 version. Previous generations were backwards compatible fully or to some extent.

Now for the first time, and this was a conscious decision by Sony, they have a fully backward compatible generation change on the software/OS level.

It was sony that claimed 'we believe in generations' as opposed to MS's messaging to go cross-gen for a while (not a bad decision seeing how 'easy' it is to get any hardware). But no, Sony actually has basically everything cross-gen aswell. They could have been honest about it, but they werent. Now they are getting flak for it everywhere and rightfully so.

That is just not true. Please bring the facts. State where they say what you claim. I searched and posted two examples of messaging which does nothing of the sort. And that’s just the first two hits.

All I have read so far is that they would still be doing exclusives. And they have done exactly that. Nowhere do they say that from point x their first parties will only output PS5 exclusives.

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

And for the record, I have no beef in this. I think both Microsoft and Sony’s positions are valid. And both have done what they said they would do.

But no, Sony actually has basically everything cross-gen aswell. They could have been honest about it, but they werent. Now they are getting flak for it everywhere and rightfully so.
Sony absolutely should be honest and more transparent about things like that. All the console manufacturers should. But let's look at facts on your "basically everything" claim here. Since PlayStation 5 launched in November, Sony have published the following games for the following platforms:
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure - PS4 and PS5
  • Spider-man Miles Morales - PS4 and PS5
  • Demon Souls - PS5
  • Astro's Playroom - PS5
  • MLB the Show - PS4, PS5 and Xbox
  • Destruction All Stars - PS5
  • Returnal - PS5
  • Ratchet & Clank - PS5
So more games not running on PS4 than are. Are there more PS4 games coming? Absolutely; Horizon Zero West, God of War and Gran Turismo are coming to PS4. That's not a lot of commitment so far from Sony, which has a lot of first party studios.

I looks to me like Microsoft and Sony are largely doing the same thing, games that can be supported on lastgen hardware without compromising the vision/design of the game will get two versions where it's financially sensible to do so - and that will drop off over time. Games they don't, won't. The difference between Microsoft and Sony mostly seems to be that Sony did have some PS5-only games ready for the launch window and Microsoft did not.

• Sackboy: A Big Adventure - PS4 and PS5
  • Spider-man Miles Morales - PS4 and PS5
  • Demon Souls - PS5
  • Astro's Playroom - PS5
  • MLB the Show - PS4, PS5 and Xbox
  • Destruction All Stars - PS5
  • Returnal - PS5
  • Ratchet & Clank - PS5

Astrobot is a techdemo for the dualsense baked into every PS5, its debatable if that can be called one of their AAA exclusives. Destruction allstars aint no more then a multiplayer-only game resembling nothing 'true next generation PS5 game', its a flopped multiplayer project (the game needs bots to populate their servers).
Demon Souls is a remake/remaster of a PS3 game, in that sense it aint an exclusive anymore since its the exact same game as the PS3 version with upgraded graphics.

We have returnal and rift apart. Returnal is a true exclusive, though not really upto par graphics wise. Rift Apart so far is the only true AAA exclusive to the PS5, as in what Sony had us believe we should expect and no more cross gen (we believe in generations). That didnt really happen.
Rift Apart's release is about 8 months into the generation aswell, but these days thats considered launch-window. Then again, even 3 to 4 years in is considered launch-window for games by some.

Astrobot is a techdemo for the dualsense baked into every PS5, its debatable if that can be called one of their AAA exclusives. Destruction allstars aint no more then a multiplayer-only game resembling nothing 'true next generation PS5 game', its a flopped multiplayer project (the game needs bots to populate their servers).

Nobody claimed any of the games were 'AAA' or successful, or in a launch window. You seem to be questioning Sony's commitment to PS5-only development and the list speaks for itself. The developers and publishers cannot know if the effort is going to be successful until it's released.

This may shock you but your personal view of Returnal's graphics have no bearing on Sony's commitment to publish a PS5-only game, nor Sony's investment in Ratchet & Clank. Try to be less transparent about your obvious biases. Poor dodge trying to ignore Demon Souls.

As former President Trump would probably say. SAD!

graphics have no bearing on Sony's commitment to publish a PS5-only game
ignore Demon Souls

Haha, lol. And thats all DS was about, its the exact same game, just better graphics.

MS messaged last year that they would mainly go cross-gen for the first two years, meanwhile sony used that to respond with 'we believe in generations', while now almost everything actually is cross-gen on their platform aswell.

As former President Trump would probably say. SAD!

Oh wow, like that huh. Now we know what where dealing with here.

the outrage is limited to some forums and some twitter, the rest of the world does not care, thankfully.

Goes for MS'es cross gen aswell.

exactly, never seen this as a problem personnally

Me neither, yes i liked it during the 6th generation days, but back then scaling wasnt a thing like it is today (and hardware moved much faster). Better graphics will come eventually to all platforms, it has done so each generation.

Haha, lol. And thats all DS was about, its the exact same game, just better graphics. MS messaged last year that they would mainly go cross-gen for the first two years, meanwhile sony used that to respond with 'we believe in generations', while now almost everything actually is cross-gen on their platform aswell.

Except for Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank which you seem happy to ignore because of reasons that do not align with your narrative.

Back