Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mesh/primitive shader is faster than vertex shader and for the hardware path 5700 XT will use vertex shader. This is 100% sure. Nanite will be slower on 5700XT because Unreal Engine 5 use Mesh/Primitive shader. If you do your comparison using current PC game like if the PS5 GPU was a 10.28 Tflops 5700 XT with raytracing, this will not be the case for title using new features.

Geometry improve a lot compare to RDNA 1 GPU and it has raytracing and maybe other custom stuff.
possible, in the end behave as usual so according to gamepgu 6800/3080/6900xt is 1.6x faster on avarage than 5700xt in 1080p mode, it will be bigger difference in higher resolutions

Last edited:
Interesting thanks.
I think we've surmised that PS5 is lacking hardware VRS and differences in mesh shader capabilities.
What would be nice to know is what the difference are, in the end may make no difference in real world or even development considerations, or it could....
Don't suppose birdy gave you any indications?

I'm more curious if any birdies confirmed PS5 Game Memory Capacity limits.

Wonder if we'll learn anything from all these developer breaches that has happened recently.
Don't know if any has included developer docs etc.

I was under the impression that RT60 had reflections severely backed down compared to RT30. There are screenshots demonstrating this.

So what's the verdict then?

With the caveat that the whole game runs at a lower resolution of course so it also needs less RT calculations.

That would be very interesting indeed, especially in terms of video memory allocation. CPU should allocate a lot. I assume for most games, it should be around 7-9 GB of allocated video memory.

possible, in the end behave as usual so according to gamepgu 6800/3080/6900xt is 1.6x faster on avarage than 5700xt in 1080p mode, it will be bigger difference in higher resolutions

6800XT is performing twice as fast as the PS5. Its a 20.7TF gpu versus the 10.2TF PS5 gpu.

6800XT is performing twice as fast as the PS5. Its a 20.7TF gpu versus the 10.2TF PS5 gpu.
We don't know what the performance headroom above a capped 30 there is on consoles. Or if the 1080p target has DRS and drops below. The 6800xt could be performing more or less than 2x as fast depending on the above metrics.

We don't know what the performance headroom above a capped 30 there is on consoles. Or if the 1080p target has DRS and drops below. The 6800xt could be performing more or less than 2x as fast depending on the above metrics.

True, at the same time, the 6800XT hasnt got its optimizations either (which the consoles did get), as per DF, would bring performance improvements. Its kinda close to what the specs say aswell.

True, at the same time, the 6800XT hasnt got its optimizations either (which the consoles did get), as per DF, would bring performance improvements. Its kinda close to what the specs say aswell.
Ya another unknown. All the speculation about Ampere’s fp32 potentially crushing in UE4 also didn't pan out, at least not here.

No, we dont now how ps5 perform in this bechamark, we only know rtx3080/6800xt is 1.6x faster than 5700xt in 1080p upscaled to 4k, but maybe ps5 is close to 5700xt who nows ;)

@Dictator I just wanted to say I just watched the video on R&C Rifts Performance RT mode, and by the end you guys have a set an ad spot right at the end when John said "alex has got to say..." and I knew you were going to say "Auf Wiedersehen" but I made sure to watch the ad just so I could hear you say it! hhaha. One can not watch a Digital Foundry video featuring alex and go to bed in peace without physically hearing that phrase....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back