Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think at idle the PS4s are slightly quieter than the PS5 but when gaming the PS5 is far quieter. At idle I think I hear ball bearing noise from the blower. Pretty typical for a BB fan. But I have yet to hear it change speed in any game and that is a huge improvement over the PS4, especially the noisy PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
I think at idle the PS4s are slightly quieter than the PS5 but when gaming the PS5 is far quieter. At idle I think I hear ball bearing noise from the blower. Pretty typical for a BB fan. But I have yet to hear it change speed in any game and that is a huge improvement over the PS4, especially the noisy PS4 Pro.

The problem with the ps4 is noise levels over time. I made a lot of extra cash (or a lot of free meals depending on the person) by opening up ps4s/pros and cleaning out the fans sometimes repasting the heatsink. I did the same with the ps3 also.

Right now the ps5 in my house is louder than my xbox series x but its very slight and luckly i have zero coil whine in either system

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-noise-different-fans

from measuring the difference in noise from ps5 and xbox series X is small, if you are hearing a large diference then you prolly have a shitty fan, complain to Sony. Pretty bad on their part

https://newsbeezer.com/taiwaneng/sp...big-cars-to-see-who-is-quietest-and-quietest/
I don’t know if I have the shitty fan (I don’t think I’ll ever know) but there sure is coil whine.

Remember the decibel scale is logarithmic, so a difference of 2dB means one is producing twice the energy as they other. Also I was testing 200w games, namely Astro’s Playroom, Miles Morales and Gears 5, I had both machines running the above games in a quiet room, and when I shut down the PS5, the room immediately became quieter and my ears took a while to adjust to notice the XSX’s fan noise.

(Somehow Astro’s Playroom causes worse coil whine than Miles Morales.)

I have to repeat this a third time: I’m only comparing, in normal usage where there will be ambient noise and game audio, both consoles are excellent acoustics wise.

I don’t know if I have the shitty fan (I don’t think I’ll ever know) but there sure is coil whine.

Remember the decibel scale is logarithmic, so a difference of 2dB means one is producing twice the energy as they other. Also I was testing 200w games, namely Astro’s Playroom, Miles Morales and Gears 5, I had both machines running the above games in a quiet room, and when I shut down the PS5, the room immediately became quieter and my ears took a while to adjust to notice the XSX’s fan noise.

(Somehow Astro’s Playroom causes worse coil whine than Miles Morales.)

I have to repeat this a third time: I’m only comparing, in normal usage where there will be ambient noise and game audio, both consoles are excellent acoustics wise.

You probably have a NIDEC fan, PS5 has 3 types of FAN, two are good but the third one is bad. Some people replace the fan and it works better.

Mine sounds like that Nidec fan in the video. Bearing noise eh, enhanced by the plastic all around it. Reminiscent of an idling ATI Radeon X850 / X1800 / X1900 / HD 2900. :) But yeah the room has to be pretty quiet for it to be noticeable.

Last edited:
i have zero coil whine in either system

I dont think mine has it, sometimes i 'hear' it, but could be placebo effect. Ive had a GTX580 that a real bad coilwhine :p

Mine sounds like that Nidec fan in the video. Bearing noise eh. Reminiscent of an idling ATI Radeon X850 / X1800 / X1900 / HD 2900. :) The plastic construction of the PS5 probably enhances the noise level of it. But yeah the room has to be pretty quiet for it to be noticeable.

Ye well, its a 400/500 dollar box, its kinda hard to get to real almost silent levels even when gaming. Thats almost WC territory and much more expensive fans.

I think if the NMB fan is silent that it is probably using a FDB. Both NMB and Nidec are companies that make quality fans if you want such a thing. Ball bearing is usually the option for best longevity but not silence.

My opinion though is if that Nidec fan is irritating someone, that person doesn't properly recall the experience of the screaming PS4 Pro and also its super great up and down swings of fan speed. :)

Last edited:
Shipping the same model with 3 different fan SKUs is... something.
It's a Sony thing. Take apart 3 PS3 or PS4 controllers. I bet they are all different. Charge ports that look the same but have ribbon cables that exit opposite sides. Shoulder buttons with different spring placement, or millimeters different tabs that register as a slight analog press if you swap them. Different conductive films, or sometimes nearly identical conductive film that is 100% electronically compatible, but traces are moves ever so slightly to accommodate posts that fit through small cutouts in one version but not the other. Systems are like that, too. There are a few different sized fan headers, and these little cables that connect to the power supplies are different. The holes are moves ever so slightly and therefore the power supplies are not compatible even though they are rated for identical work. It's pretty nutty.

It's a Sony thing. Take apart 3 PS3 or PS4 controllers. I bet they are all different. Charge ports that look the same but have ribbon cables that exit opposite sides. Shoulder buttons with different spring placement, or millimeters different tabs that register as a slight analog press if you swap them

This is pretty normal in mass-market manufacturing. The product will have a set of specifications and a variety of different component suppliers can fill the need to meet those specifications. It's why buying some laptops/monitors can be a gamble because the screens may meet a spec, but some are better than others. Or noise gain in audio equipment. Or fuel efficiency in an engine. It's impossible to mass manufacture anything complex device in volumes of a 1,000 upwards and have them all identical.

Remember the decibel scale is logarithmic, so a difference of 2dB means one is producing twice the energy as they other. .
Its actually 3db
heres a long video which looks decent for a comparison (only saw 30 secs of it)

This is pretty normal in mass-market manufacturing. The product will have a set of specifications and a variety of different component suppliers can fill the need to meet those specifications. It's why buying some laptops/monitors can be a gamble because the screens may meet a spec, but some are better than others. Or noise gain in audio equipment. Or fuel efficiency in an engine. It's impossible to mass manufacture anything complex device in volumes of a 1,000 upwards and have them all identical.
So, yeah this is true, but Sony has, throughout it video game history anyway, re-engineered the internal components of it's consoles and accessories. This is different from, say, Eye Toys being manufactured by 2 different companies. That's somewhat normal. Sony producing batteries for Dual Shock 4s that are electronically identical but have different sized plugs on them is annoying, especially when we are talking about a 1 mm difference in plug size. Simply swapping the plug makes them work, it's just a strange thing that Sony does where they change something that doesn't seam to have any real world effect.

There are different revisions of Xbox One controllers as well. But there is basically one large revision when they added the headphone jack, and a second revision when they added bluetooth. There are clear, defined reasons for those changes. Sony makes changes all the time, and there isn't always an obvious reason why they did it. Like I said before, they changed the trigger buttons at one point that moves these plastic tabs slightly and if you swap them with other buttons they will register as a slight press on the triggers. Scraping the tabs or housing with a razor knife fixes this, but it's annoying.

As Dsoup said it is completely normal and expected for there to be differences in complex manufactured products.

Perhaps Sony has a bit more tolerance in its supply chain. It probably is just that these particular devices (consoles) undergo more scrutiny than typical electronics.

My first impressions of the PS5:

Positives:
- It's quiet, but not totally silent. But it's actually making less noise than my fish tank and the noise is about the same whether you do nothing in the OS or play a graphically demanding PS5 game, so it's a massive improvement compared to my Pro.
- Everything is obviously very fast: loadings and OS stuff.
- Activity cards are awesome.
- The transfer app in order to transfer saves and games from PS4 to PS5 is really well done and very easy.
- Haptic feedback and resistive triggers (which can be incredibly strong) are excellent.

Negatives:
- The OS is a downgrade compared to PS4. I don't like it. I would gladly take PS4 OS back.
- I could not even transfer P.T. because it was recognized as not a working game by my PS5. :|
- I don't like the PS Home button and its odd shape. Because of the mute button just under I sometimes need to look. They should have kept the round shape.

- I don't like the PS Home button and its odd shape. Because of the mute button just under I sometimes need to look. They should have kept the round shape.
Not only that, your thumbs have to reach over the sticks to press it, it really should be in the place of the mute button instead.

I think while the DualSense has gained major ergonomic improvements and many new tricks, it also misses the mark on many basic things. Apart from the PS button, the D-pad is so mushy it simply feels awful, I have the Xbox Series controller, the Elite 2, the Switch Pro controller and the DualSense, and the DualSense’s D-pad just feels so, so much worse than the rest. The Options and Create button are stiff and awkwardly placed, for games that are heavy on menu (e.g. inventory management) it can feel inconvenient, in comparison the Xbox Series controller’s Menu and View button protrude higher from the surface, are isolated from the other buttons, and have the same resistance as the ABXY buttons.

There’s one thing I forgot to mention in my original post: the most next-gen thing I feel about the PS5 is actually (as of right now) the SSD. The way SM:MM and Astro’s can be launched from the activities cards feel like nothing I’ve experienced before, whereas while the XSX has quick resume, many games (even optimized for X|S ones) can still take quite a while to launch.

Back