Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I don't doubt that last year's demo would run just fine on any SSD on PC. Anything which can't be read in time can be precached in RAM.

Use the drone in turbo mode and tell me the results. I get huge frame drops and stutters. While the PS5 demo was perfectly smooth with greater asset variety at similar flying speed and with a ton of physics happening in the background.

Perhaps we need a little reminder on how unbelieveably awesome this demo was.

Unreal_Engine_5_1-3dbccf20feeab77d.jpeg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Lumen-2491x1401-3da7aa4892984ed6e7375aa7c19aa162725b957f.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FFB_US5_Announcement_V2-1200x630-ac3a159eb87c5655dd0397fcbf16d1a3808c1955.jpg

Screenshot_2020-05-13-UnrealEngine-blog-a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5-Unreal_Engine_5_Gallery_2-2491x1400-8a288c8c4645d4....jpg

Unreal-Engine-5-Revealed-Next-Gen-Real-Time-Demo-Running-on-PlayStation-5.jpg

Jx9ZlEp.png

Compared to (basically two scenes, that's all there is to it)

unreal-engine-5.jpg

Engine-Screenshot-2021-05-26-19-38-30-75.png

I am sorry. The huge open world in the new one is nice and I said I am also very impressed by it. But its just rocks repeated over and over again compared to the real experience that was last years demo. The Ancient One is the only thing that comes close to it. Last years demo just impressed me a lot more, and your facepalms won't be able to change that.

Last edited:
It's funny how the times are changing.

Almost 3 Years ago, for some it was considered a great shame that early hardware Ray Tracing demos on a 2080Ti was shown working @1080p60 native, and even later, when it was upgraded to 1440p60 native with proper optimizations it was considered not enough and a resource hog not worth the bother, but now it's somehow acceptable that software ray tracing is barely working 1080p60 on the current GPUs with 50% more powerful hardware.

Almost 3 Years ago, for some it was considered a great shame that early hardware Ray Tracing demos on a 2080Ti was shown working @1080p60 native, and even later, when it was upgraded to 1440p60 native with proper optimizations it was considered not enough and a resource hog not worth the bother, but now it's somehow acceptable that software ray tracing is barely working 1080p60 on the current GPUs with 50% more powerful hardware.
Indeed. It's amazing what people having access to something does to help change their perspective on it.

I am sorry. The huge open world in the new one is nice and I said I am also very impressed by it. But its just rocks repeated over and over again compared to the real experience that was last years demo. The Ancient One is the only thing that comes close to it. Last years demo just impressed me a lot more, and your facepalms won't be able to change that.

"impressive" and "good looking" are different things.
If you're only interested in which demo had better art, why post in a technical thread? It's obvious which demo is heavier if you're seeking to understand nanite technically.

This years demo is more impressive IMO. besides the fact we can actually play it instead of being bound to a video of a on-rail experience to tailor demands.
I mean, the new one is on rails too (aside from the drone of course, but turbo mode is a stutter fest)

If Epic would make the demo available, we could play it as well. They were showing last years demo running in the editor a couple of days ago.

Indeed. It's amazing what people having access to something does to help change their perspective on it.

I would not say that. And it's a deal of the whole package, not simply raytracing. People were greatly impressed by last year's demo and this and many do seem to consider it a "next-gen upgrade" of the past. I believe anyone would say this doesn't look like a PS4 game, even if they have no clue what Nanite or raytracing are.

Whereas the vast majority of raytracing in games now still have stuck to PS4 visuals with raytracing as an extra feature, which brought a massive performance hit for a difference that very few people noticed.

Last edited:
Use the drone in turbo mode and tell me the results. I get huge frame drops and stutters. While the PS5 demo was perfectly smooth with greater asset variety at similar flying speed and with a ton of physics happening in the background.
Did you do any benchmarking which would prove that the "stutter fest" is because of streaming?

The demo is 25GB cooked. Even on a SATA SSD you'd need 50 seconds to read it all in full, disregarding compression and such. An NVMe PCIE3 SSD would be able to read the whole data store in 6,25 seconds. Streaming is usually some megabytes, not even gigabytes.

Did you do any benchmarking which would prove that the "stutter fest" is because of streaming?

The demo is 25GB cooked. Even on a SATA SSD you'd need 50 seconds to read it all in full, disregarding compression and such. An NVMe PCIE3 SSD would be able to read the whole data store in 6,25 seconds. Streaming is usually some megabytes, not even gigabytes.

Well, it stutters when it streams at high speed. But yes as you said, I don't think it has anything to do with the SSD as it's entirely stored in RAM. I have no idea what's going on to be honest. Strangely running it in edit mode and moving the camera these stutters won't appear even at faster speeds than the drone. I was getting these stutters in the compiled demo as well as in the editor using the play mode.

I don't understand the confusion. We've already been shown the demo running on PC:

Yes in the editor. Not the demo itself.

I would not say that. And it's a deal of the whole package, not simply raytracing. People were greatly impressed by last year's demo and this and many do seem to consider it a "next-gen upgrade" of the past. I believe anyone would say this doesn't look like a PS4 game, even if they have no clue what Nanite or raytracing are.

Whereas the vast majority of raytracing in games now still have stuck to PS4 visuals with raytracing as an extra feature, which brought a massive performance hit for a difference that very few people noticed.
I'm very confident in saying that.. because I have for the past 2-3 years been defending RT and explaining it to friends who could just never see it. "Oh, it makes the scene a bit darker?" or "So the reflections are a bit better, that's it.. and the FPS drops 40%?" , "Man what a complete waste.. doesn't make any difference and isn't worth the performance loss...."

But now it's "oh man, the RT reflections in Ratchet are amazing... you can see the reflection of his hand in his eye!!!"

"Sony is the best!!" "Based Mark Cerny!"

But I digress...

To be honest, I doubt last years demo running on PS5 would be possible on PC right now, as it lacks DirectStorage. The demo, especially in the last segment, was very likely using the NVMe SSD and its decompressor to stream data in and out fast.
Brian literally demoed it on his PC during the live stream to dispel these myths... and we've covered them a few times already in the last few pages of this thread.

When using the drone in the current demo at high speed, it stutters heavily with much less asset variety than what was shown in last years demo.
Again as stated many times, this year's demo is actually much heavier than the one last year. Also if you do a bit of profiling on those stutters you'll find they are unrelated to IO and more related to editor and world partition stuff. They are also significantly less present in the cooked builds than play-in-editor or similar. Regardless, they are unrelated to Nanite.

There's no conspiracy here guys, I don't know why people *want* to believe it isn't possible when it clearly is.

For what it's worth I happen to agree with you that last year's demo looked nicer, but that's really just on the art. The two demos had very different goals.

I'm very confident in saying that.. because I have for the past 2-3 years been defending RT and explaining it to friends who could just never see it. "Oh, it makes the scene a bit darker?" or "So the reflections are a bit better, that's it.. and the FPS drops 40%?" , "Man what a complete waste.. doesn't make any difference and isn't worth the performance loss...."

But now it's "oh man, the RT reflections in Ratchet are amazing... you can see the reflection of his hand in his eye!!!"

"Sony is the best!!" "Based Mark Cerny!"

But I digress...

Well said. If stuff like that continues, so will mine and others.

Well to be fair they looked like PS4 games because they were PS4 games. Also we don’t know what a proper game on UE5 will actually look like. Remember UE4’s elemental demo?

TSR seems to be really effective though. So upscaled 1080p may be standard fare this generation. Hopefully they can work out the kinks.

hehe :)

Somehow, but to me those results look on par in terns of lighting, but clearly ahead with geometry, and only if we compare it with the most recent and best DXR games.
You have to admit my predictions about compute tracing were no wishful thinking or day dreaming :D

Though, while all this looks good, performance is equally bad on both.

Brian literally demoed it on his PC during the live stream to dispel these myths... and we've covered them a few times already in the last few pages of this thread.

Again as stated many times, this year's demo is actually much heavier than the one last year. Also if you do a bit of profiling on those stutters you'll find they are unrelated to IO and more related to editor and world partition stuff. They are also significantly less present in the cooked builds than play-in-editor or similar. Regardless, they are unrelated to Nanite.

There's no conspiracy here guys, I don't know why people *want* to believe it isn't possible when it clearly is.

For what it's worth I happen to agree with you that last year's demo looked nicer, but that's really just on the art. The two demos had very different goals.

Alright then, thanks for clearing that up. I assume though this years demo is not heavier in every aspect, isn't it? I'd guess last years demo was more VRAM and CPU heavy compared to the new one as there were a lot more unique assets and physics going on.

A better way to dispel these myths would be releasing the demo btw ;)

As Andrew has already stated, what we're looking at here with the newest demo VS the older PS5 demo, is completely different goals for the content. The team who created this PC demo content weren't as much concerned with creating something big meant to present something like a game level in action...but rather a demo really pushing very specific aspects of the rendering pipeline. Such as the wide open level in the beginning and the world partition stuff where they swap in the new terrain very quickly. They show off some of the systems they created for the engine, such as the animation stuff and set out to prove you could create a character like the Ancient boss using mostly Nanite.

The demo.. as meant for the PC, is for developers. It's for them to play with and experiment with. The scope and size of the project had to be taken into consideration.. and the biggest thing about the release wasn't the demo itself.. but rather getting the engine into the hands of creators to get a feel for the limitations and also to show off what they can do.. as well as report bugs. If the demo was ever meant to just be a performance showcase for the engine running on PC... then the developers would have optimized it, compiled the demo, and released the compiled demo itself.. instead of the MUCH bigger project as a whole.

Think about the optimization that a thing like Lumen in the Land of Nanite has being the first time demonstrating a new engine VS a small test demo for developers to play around with.. They aren't really comparable, and we have the developers right here reiterating that. Brian literally went through the demo on PC and explained this.

Well to be fair they looked like PS4 games because they were PS4 games. Also we don’t know what a proper game on UE5 will actually look like. Remember UE4’s elemental demo?

TSR seems to be really effective though. So upscaled 1080p may be standard fare this generation. Hopefully they can work out the kinks.

Yes, I've learned not to say too much until the final results are out. But that's the big difference, three years ago people were disappointed to drop down to 1080p to play PS4 games with DXR, for many it just wasn't worth it.

But like the comments above did, implying that the people who were sceptical towards raytracing three years ago and now are impressed by this are hypocrites, that just isn't right.

Back