Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

They will likely allow try before you buy, because people will buy, download and try and refund. May as well lower the barriers on both sides to decrease player pain, and decrease the costs of labour for MS.

True, but I'm not convinced this for games outside the Game Pass service. How do you handle achievements, is there a specific time limit, etc. I could see it coming later. But for right now the easiest thing to do is put the Game Pass web browser version into the dashboard & call it a day.

Tommy McClain

True, but I'm not convinced this for games outside the Game Pass service. How do you handle achievements, is there a specific time limit, etc. I could see it coming later. But for right now the easiest thing to do is put the Game Pass web browser version into the dashboard & call it a day.

Tommy McClain
They can disable achievements for any title you don't own. Limit the amount of time you are allowed to play the title on xcloud.

But I agree, I can see it coming later.
Perhaps right now, it's just going to be, play now, while downloading/installing. No need to wait.

• With more than 23 studios worldwide creating games for Xbox, our goal is to release at least one new, first party game into Game Pass every quarter. Role playing games, shooters, strategy titles, adventure games, and more are all being built by our first party teams to ensure that there is a steady stream of compelling exclusive content to explore.

One first party game every quarter.... a quarter is 3 months.... Sounds pretty familiar.... like someone was off by a month or so
iu

they aren't done yet with hardware ;)

Nope. :)

Liz Hamren, CVP of Gaming Experiences & Platforms, said Microsoft was already working on new hardware, "some of which won't come to light for years."

"Cloud is key to our hardware and Game Pass roadmaps, but no one should think we're slowing down on our core console engineering. In fact, we're accelerating it," Hamren said in a video briefing shown to press this week.

"We're already hard at work on new hardware and platforms, some of which won't come to light for years. But even as we build for the future, we're focused on extending the Xbox experience to more devices today so we can reach more people."
"While we continue to expand in PC and mobile, console remains our flagship experience," Hamren added. "We want to deliver the most powerful, capable consoles in the world, devices that empower our players to enjoy amazing games for years to come, including gameplay we can't even imagine yet."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...es-some-of-which-wont-come-to-light-for-years

Tommy McClain

Lol i know of 3 different hardware items I haven't talked about yet but don't know when they will drop the announcements . Just wait Microsoft is just waking up
I know of 1 more. But seems like this could be longer than expected. Not sure how covid impacted things here on this front. But this text seems to indicate that the plan is still on. Duo and Neo got shelved for a long time before it came back.

I know of 1 more. But seems like this could be longer than expected. Not sure how covid impacted things here on this front. But this text seems to indicate that the plan is still on. Duo and Neo got shelved for a long time before it came back.

Hmm wonder if we know the same things .
Didn't see this here yet, but xCloud is moving to Xbox Series X spec hardware in "the next few weeks".

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/10/...xbox-series-x-hardware-upgrade-game-streaming

employees got access last week. Check out my post

Since the xbox one s came out all the xbox controller also have bluetooth so you can connect to any phone or computer without the dongle
I've got some catching up to do.
But the benefit of the proprietary controller wifi compared to Bluetooth is latency. Which is even more important with streaming.
Also a good stack, compared to the Bluetooth one that may not be as efficient on tv and phones etc.

Might try to Google if they've actually compared them anywhere.

But the benefit of the proprietary controller wifi compared to Bluetooth is latency. Which is even more important with streaming.
Also a good stack, compared to the Bluetooth one that may not be as efficient on tv and phones etc.

no doubt but i'd wager for most who just want to stream games they will be fine with any latency they find.

Those who are really worried about it will get a console or gaming device or perhaps get the xbox xcloud streaming stick that should have the best streaming option

Not just latency, but robustness as well. Where I live, there are so many high power wifi-transmitters that BT will become choppy or just drop entirely at times. I've tested with different BT devices including an iPhone 12 with AirPod gen 2 (usually more resilient than other BT devices). OTOH the Logitech proprietary wireless on the G903 never drops or hiccups. The same went for the Xbox Elite Controller combined with an Xbox wireless dongle (no BT support on the Elite that I have).

I've been thinking of getting an Xbox Wireless headset (since I already have the USB dongle) since all BT wireless headsets go to shite here when everyone starts to heavily use their internet. Would be nice if everyone turned off their 2.4 GHz transmitters (I'm assuming it's this band that is interfering) on their routers, but that's unlikely to happen. :p

Oh and I've noticed that some 1000+ watt microwaves also have a tendency to wreak havok with nearby BT devices. Bleh. I just happen to have one of them. But again, they don't interfere with Logitech non-BT wireless devices nor Xbox Wireless devices.

Regards,
SB

Good way to get around the world-wide chip shortage for some titles at least.

They still need chips (fairly) local to users. They'll achieve higher occupancy than a home console but peak times and large releases might be an issue?

It'll be interesting to see if the likes of Starfield dropping are enough to create "no stream available" messages.

Back