Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
His tool still doesn't register screen tearing. There is quite a bit more of them on XSX notably during driving.

But yes, finally Watchdogs running at 60fps on consoles! The RT wasn't good anyways with the super short draw distance of the RT reflections, it could get really ugly.

His tool still doesn't register screen tearing. There is quite a bit more of them on XSX notably during driving.

But yes, finally Watchdogs running at 60fps on consoles! The RT wasn't good anyways with the super short draw distance of the RT reflections, it could get really ugly.

I was thinking about picking this up on the cheap... is this game any good (or better than the prior versions)? I didn't particularly find the last two enjoyable, but just something to pass time with.

The versions tested were 2.13.0.0 on Xbox Series consoles and 1.120.000 on PS5. There may be some time of day variance in some clips.

Watch Dogs Legion on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles have two modes: a 30fps mode with Ray Tracing and a 60fps mode that doesn't have Ray Tracing. The footage in this video and the information below are for the 60fps mode.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2364x1330. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3392x1908 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2080x1180. Native resolution pixel counts at 3392x1908 seem to be rare on PS5. PS5 uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

In some scenes the resolution difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X can be smaller than it is at the highest and lowest resolutions found, with one scene rendering at approximately 3100x1744 on PS5 and approximately 3392x1908 on Xbox Series X and another scene rendering at approximately 2800x1575 on PS5 and approximately 2951x1660 on Xbox Series X.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1200x675. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

PS5 has improved texture filtering compared to the Xbox consoles https://bit.ly/2TGox2B

PS5 and Xbox Series X have some enhancements over Xbox Series S such as: an improved LOD transition distance (5:03) and a longer draw distance for certain objects (6:14) Some aspects of the game update at 30hz such as car wheels.

Notes:
* PS5 has slightly better framerates and frame times.
* PS5 uses a higher quality of texture filtering.
* PS5 has less screen tearing.
* XBSX has higher DRR boundaries.
* XBSS, is well... XBSS...

Reactions: snc
I wonder how many people would actually choose the standard Performance Mode? Their upscaling tech is good enough that I can't perceive the resolution difference at standard viewing distances.

Interested to know if the reflections change resolution proportional to the main resolution.

From what I see only difference between fidelity vs 60rt is resolution, great

- Fidelity mode runs at 2160p
- Performance mode at a dynamic resolution of 2160p~1440p (remains at 1800p average)
- RT Performance mode runs at 2160p~1080p (remains at 1440p average).
- The reflections generated by Ray-tracing lower its resolution proportionally in the RT Performance mode. Performance mode does not have Ray-tracing.

- The framerate is stable most of the time, with some occasional drop (especially in kinematics).
- Loading times from the PS5 interface to taking control of Ratchet are 16 seconds. Just as fast as Miles Morales.
- There are no changes in texturing, shadows, drawing distance, or other settings between the different modes.
- Personally, I choose the RT Performance mode. The sacrifice of resolution is not as noticeable due to Insomniac's superb temporary injection technique.

I know it's a sin, but I'm going to stick with fidelity mode during my first playthrough, then later, RT performance mode. Can't wait for tomorrow...

Seriously, I'm an eye-candy junkie who doesn't mind 30fps gaming (on consoles!) if it means all the IQ bells and whistles.
This new console generation has been great for a lot of reasons but I think that option for graphics to target performance or quality being near standard, is one of the best. :yes:

I think I'll go 60RT mode.

This new console generation has been great for a lot of reasons but I think that option for graphics to target performance or quality being near standard, is one of the best. :yes:

I think I'll go 60RT mode.

I do find it ironic reading posts like this and thinking back on all those old debates I've had about consoles being better because you didn't have to mess around with settings and the developers just chose the optimum way to play the game for you.

It's almost as if user choice is important after all!

I do find it ironic reading posts like this and thinking back on all those old debates I've had about consoles being better because you didn't have to mess around with settings and the developers just chose the optimum way to play the game for you.

It's almost as if user choice is important after all!

There is some truth to that though. When I used to build my own PCs I tended to spend more time adjusting settings than I did playing games.

Now I don't have any time for settings and nearly no time to play games. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back