Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

Because each game should know it's audience and have a solid idea of how many sales they will generate from each platform. They should ultimately know where their crowd is.
The reason I talk about COD and FIFA is because they know how wide their audience is, they'll play on a variety of devices, and a variety of income levels and age groups. Cutting off last generation could be a massive hit to their player base and potential profits.

For RE, all this shows is that their player base has moved onto PS5. It's not any sort of indication that is the case for other games.

We expect that moving on the generation, more people will migrate. But this gap you see here, is not likely representative of all titles, so that's why cross gen is sticking around for a while longer. Even then 15% of 4 million, is still a substantial amount to continue doing cross-gen. That's 600K units still moved.
If at early 2021 is 3 to 1 for ps5 in late 2022 it could be 6 to 1 or even higher

If at early 2021 is 3 to 1 for ps5 in late 2022 it could be 6 to 1 or even higher

For a while it will come down to how many copies games sell (and bring in) from last gen consoles in the context of how much money/effort it costs to support the platforms. If Capcom spent $1m on RE7 for PS4/XBO and it brings it $5m, that's $4m, which is $4m I would not want to leave on the table.

At some point it is inevitable that some games will be disproportionately expensive to support on last gen consoles but I don't think we're close to that that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea why other nations should behave totaly different ? ;)

EU charts are generally fairly different from US charts. UK charts don't always track with other countries in the EU. EU and US charts don't track with Japanese charts. I haven't seen charts for S. America but it wouldn't surprise me if those countries charted differently from the previously named countries and regions.

So if we use Japan.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2021 (May 24 - May 30) Sales | ResetEra

Just pulling up a random week.

PS4 version of RE8 sells better than the PS5 version of RE8. Over 3:1 lifetime sales up to that point in favor of PS4.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
EU charts are generally fairly different from US charts. UK charts don't always track with other countries in the EU. EU and US charts don't track with Japanese charts. I haven't seen charts for S. America but it wouldn't surprise me if those countries charted differently from the previously named countries and regions.

Regards,
SB
taking into account uk has even bigger ps5 shortage than some other countries difference could be bigger, sure, tough its only data we have and imho interesting

taking into account uk has even bigger ps5 shortage than some other countries difference could be bigger, sure, tough its only data we have and imho interesting

Check my edit. PS4 selling over 3:1 over PS5 in Japan. Who knows what the spread is in other countries which don't break down platforms?

Regards,
SB

I feel like the story is a bit lost here:

Of the 4M sold if we assume those ratios are global then.

PS5 = 1.8M sold of 8M available PS5s. Or nearly 20% or 1 in 5 PS5 owners bought RE: Village.
PS4 = 600K sold of 72M PS4s ... 0.83% of the population bought RE:Village

I feel like the story is a bit lost here:

Of the 4M sold if we assume those ratios are global then.

PS5 = 1.8M sold of 8M available PS5s. Or nearly 20% or 1 in 5 PS5 owners bought RE: Village.
PS4 = 600K sold of 72M PS4s ... 0.83% of the population bought RE:Village
yes thats normal, people are not buying so often games on 7 year old console, gt6 was worst selling gran turismo in history even tough it was released at end on ps3 life cycle becasuse there was already ps4 and people just want to see what new console can bring

Uh, there's a shortage of the PS5 in every region where it is sold.

You asked what other regions of the world where software (games) don't chart the same as the UK. I showed one. And now you're trying to make excuses?

Regards,
SB
ok in Japan people still buying games on ps4 :) or maybe they prefer ps5 digital... ;d /joke

The point I was making isn't that the PS5 version of the game is or isn't selling more than the PS4 version of the game much less any ratio between the two.

The point is that one sales region in the world (no matter the region) does not give us a good indication of how any given title on any given platform sells world wide. It's a data point, an interesting and important data point, but nothing more.

It's like if someone claimed that NPD or EU sales data is representative of how things are selling world wide. No. Don't do it. :)

Regards,
SB

yes thats normal, people are not buying so often games on 7 year old console, gt6 was worst selling gran turismo in history even tough it was released at end on ps3 life cycle becasuse there was already ps4 and people just want to see what new console can bring
Right, I think people on PS5 are buying RE7 because they want to know what the new console will bring. And this is probably a better way to say it than calling Resident Evil niche compared to Call of Duty.

The 20% penetration rate is likely to come down over time as more PS5s are sold, unit sales on RE7 on PS5 are unlikely to go up that much higher.
So if for instance, RE7 is as popular as you say it is, then what happens if it achieves 2-3% penetration on PS4 as the price comes down over the course of the year.
Now you're at 2.16M units sold on PS4. This is going to be closer to 1:1 with PS5 : PS4

Because RE7 sales on PS5 is already super saturated, you see what I'm getting at? It's heavily front loaded here unless everyone is waiting to buy RE7 only after they buy their PS5.

But a title like COD will penetrate significantly heavier for instance, it may have close to 30-50% penetration on PS5 and say like 10-15% on PS4, but you'll see because of population differences unit sales are likely to be higher on PS4.

I think the call for transitioning to PS5 only games, isn't reliant on how well sales do on PS5, but how many PS5s there are relatively to PS4s. In this case, by end of 2022, perhaps PS5 will represent 1/2 the total population of active playstation units.

Right, I think people on PS5 are buying RE7 because they want to know what the new console will bring. And this is probably a better way to say it than calling Resident Evil niche compared to Call of Duty.

The 20% penetration rate is likely to come down over time as more PS5s are sold, unit sales on RE7 on PS5 are unlikely to go up that much higher.
So if for instance, RE7 is as popular as you say it is, then what happens if it achieves 2-3% penetration on PS4 as the price comes down over the course of the year.
Now you're at 2.16M units sold on PS4. This is going to be closer to 1:1 with PS5 : PS4

Because RE7 sales on PS5 is already super saturated, you see what I'm getting at? It's heavily front loaded here unless everyone is waiting to buy RE7 only after they buy their PS5.

But a title like COD will penetrate significantly heavier for instance, it may have close to 30-50% penetration on PS5 and say like 10-15% on PS4, but you'll see because of population differences unit sales are likely to be higher on PS4.

I think the call for transitioning to PS5 only games, isn't reliant on how well sales do on PS5, but how many PS5s there are relatively to PS4s. In this case, by end of 2022, perhaps PS5 will represent 1/2 the total population of active playstation units.
sure but there will be different situation in late 2022

Interestingly, Capcom is one of the few (maybe only) publishers that breaks down game sales not only be region but by platform. Their FY2020 (FY ending March 31, 2021) shows unit sale for PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, Wii, NSW, DS, 3DS, X360, XBO, and PC.

It'll be interesting to see PS5's impact in their FY2021 report (FY ending March 31, 2022) next year.

For FY2013 (FY ending March 31, 2014) the PS3 almost immediately fell off a cliff after the PS4's release due to no BC and not many cross gen titles. 21 thousand units sold on PS3 versus 7.1 million units sold on PS4.

PS4 has already sold massively more units after PS5 came out for Capcom than PS3 did after PS4 came out.

Anyone interested can download their FY2020 report from Capcom's Investor Relations page (CAPCOM Investor Relations ).

[edit]
Crap, I might have read that wrong. Ignore this post. PS3/PS4 sales are grouped together. I was looking at number of titles (21) and unit volume (7.1 million).

Hopefully PS4 sales will be separated from PS5 sales, but unfortunately they might just be grouped together like Capcom did for PS3/PS4.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
sure but there will be different situation in late 2022
Well that's the part I'm not sure of.

But it's not relevant.

The point is, cross gen isn't really hurting PS5 or slowing down sales, or making games worse. The price differential of PS5 to PS4 titles is much more aggravating to players than the notion that the PS5 isn't being utilized the to the extent that marketing suggested it would be. For most people the graphical improvement to 60fps is good enough, but $10 more is something they will all feel immediately.

Their strategy is fine, but the communication strategy was devious. And no one likes being lied to even though the outcome is likely to be the same.

Well that's the part I'm not sure of.

But it's not relevant.

The point is, cross gen isn't really hurting PS5 or slowing down sales, or making games worse.
I, 75% of gt fans (according to gtplanet poll) and digital foundry think different ;)

Last edited:
I, 75% of gt fans (according to gtplanet poll) and digital foundry think different ;)

It's only harsh because they will likely only have 1 release this generation and it will be crossgen on PS4. That means some aspects will have to scale down to limits of puny jag cpus, 5 gig memory, and 60 MB/s HDD drives. By the time they're ready to release a PS5 and higher edition, the PS6 may be releasing. Then everyone will gripe about PS5 holding back PS6 games.

That's all assuming I parsed their release schedule of past games correctly.

It's only harsh because they will likely only have 1 release this generation and it will be crossgen on PS4. That means some aspects will have to scale down to limits of puny jag cpus, 5 gig memory, and 60 MB/s HDD drives. By the time they're ready to release a PS5 and higher edition, the PS6 may be releasing. Then everyone will gripe about PS5 holding back PS6 games.

That's all assuming I parsed their release schedule of past games correctly.
yeah I was already joking about it, gt8 will be ps5 and ps6 crossgen which will show beautifly what capable is... ps5 ;)

Back