Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

I made a fair bit of game gold selling portals to specific places to players in EverQuest.

Ugh, I both hated and loved all the Wizards and Druids who advertised ports in EC (East Commonlands). I also hated those gdamn Griffins there when the game launched since it meant instant death if you caught their attention while leveling up. :p But it certainly made things exciting. :)

Regards,
SB

Ugh, I both hated and loved all the Wizards and Druids who advertised ports in EC (East Commonlands). I also hated those gdamn Griffins there when the game launched since it meant instant death if you caught their attention while leveling up. :p But it certainly made things exciting. :)
I played as a druid so when the portals market got competitive, unless you wanted a partciular destination only a Wizard could do, as a Druid I could sweeten the deal by tossing in a bunch of buffs and a SoW (Spirit of Wolf movement speed buff) as well. once you get to together side, you'll be much quicker, pal. Or hanging around outside Freeport offering buffs for low level boosting. SoW, more HP, regen, thorns.. off you go.

I miss MMORPGS like EverQuest. If you kept screwing up, you'd lose experience, levels and abilities. You either got better or you got left behind. Brilliant natural selection mechanics.

I played as a druid so when the portals market got competitive, unless you wanted a partciular destination only a Wizard could do, as a Druid I could sweeten the deal by tossing in a bunch of buffs and a SoW (Spirit of Wolf movement speed buff) as well. once you get to together side, you'll be much quicker, pal. Or hanging around outside Freeport offering buffs for low level boosting. SoW, more HP, regen, thorns.. off you go.

I miss MMORPGS like EverQuest. If you kept screwing up, you'd lose experience, levels and abilities. You either got better or you got left behind. Brilliant natural selection mechanics.

Yup, If you weren't able to (or didn't want to bother) learning aggro ranges, relative HP thresholds when mobs would run (so you could snare/root/nuke), how much aggro your generated (if you were a squishy DPS), etc. you weren't going to make it very far.

Unless you bought your character... But these people were so obvious in the high level dungeons as they quite obviously didn't have the skills necessary to make it to the level they were. :p

It was especially brutal at launch where a death a higher levels meant anywhere from 50-90% of a level lost if a friendly cleric didn't res you with a spell that mitigated some of the XP loss. That inevitably meant deleveling. Combine that with the "hell" levels where EXP needed for the next level was exponentially higher than the level before and after it and it could be rough. I still remember getting unlucky with trains in Lower Guk and dinging (BONG) level 45 something like 10 or 12 times due to getting run over by someone's panic train. :p

Of course, as a Monk, I had my own way to make money with corpse runs. :) Run near corpse, FD, drag corpse, run farther back towards client/safety, FD, drag corpse.

And in Raids it was even more fun after a wipe doing corpse retrieval and making huge piles of corpses. :p Until FD failed and I'd get one shot by the raid mobs. :p

Regards,
SB

Ratchet and clank is a repetitive 3d platformer that has been around since 1990 with the launch of Alpha waves on Atari ST or jumping flash in 95. The portal system is nice but i don't see anything revolutionary. Also fyi ultima online is still played to this very day by a large amount of people 24 years after its launch. Still the best mmo ever made and still has the revolutionary portal system with instant travel which as far as I know no other MMO has.
I disagree. I never played a 90s 3D plarformer (or any game for that matter) that played like Rachet and Clank. Unless you are talking about the standard feature of a jump and attack button. But games are more than that even though these two buttons are a stable for almost every game *shrugs*. Even as such 90s games are outdated and less immersive by today's standards.
So why bring them anyways?
90s games are irrelevant unless you are talking about retro style indy games that are no substitute to highly immersive 3D games. Game design of modern games was hindered by memory and streaming bottlenecks. Not anymore. Now developers are more free to do staff they couldnt before with modern games. Hence, the technology is revolutionary regardless what a primitive Atari ST did.

Last edited:
What it’s doing is allowing you to completely change an environment within a couple of seconds. Now imagine open worlds where you are not technically limited to the assets you can use - they can be as varied as you like.

What like ultima online ? a huge open world ?

While somewhat similar, they aren't the same as the portals used in Portal, Prey and R&C. Those allow you to at a minimum dynamically look through them and view the other side of the portal as if you were there instead of standing in a different room, country, or world.

What Ultima Online had was basically just teleporter pads. Portals were an interesting innovation in 3D rendering as it introduced the idea of rendering a space that was non-contiguous or non-local as if it were contiguous to the player's current location.

It's a clever trick that was non-obvious until it was done, and then it was obvious. :)

Regards,
SB

The angle you view your character in ultima online would not work for showing off where your going in a portal since it would be a very small window and the angle would just show the ground a feet in front of you.

I disagree. I never played a 90s 3D plarformer (or any game for that matter) that played like Rachet and Clank. Unless you are talking about the standard feature of a jump and attack button. But games are more than that even though these two buttons are a stable for almost every game *shrugs*. Even as such 90s games are outdated and less immersive by today's standards.
So why bring them anyways?
90s games are irrelevant unless you are talking about retro style indy games that are no substitute to highly immersive 3D games. Game design of modern games was hindered by memory and streaming bottlenecks. Not anymore. Now developers are more free to do staff they couldnt before with modern games. Hence, the technology is revolutionary regardless what a primitive Atari ST did.

I'm not a big ratchet and clank fan myself , the ps4 one i tried seemed like a lesser mario.

All the game play mechanics were done in the 90s Mario 64 , Zelda OOT , Sonic adventure and Shenmue have set the standard and offered extremely engrossing games . And don't worry in 30 years we will be talking about how primitive the games on the ps5 are.

What like ultima online ? a huge open world ?

The angle you view your character in ultima online would not work for showing off where your going in a portal since it would be a very small window and the angle would just show the ground a feet in front of you.

I'm not a big ratchet and clank fan myself , the ps4 one i tried seemed like a lesser mario.

All the game play mechanics were done in the 90s Mario 64 , Zelda OOT , Sonic adventure and Shenmue have set the standard and offered extremely engrossing games . And don't worry in 30 years we will be talking about how primitive the games on the ps5 are.
Games like Mario 64 and Zelda used ideas which you consider "meh have been tried before in my Atari and NES" but the 3D design enabled a different experiences and of course game designs.
You didnt see people go "pffft I also jumped on platforms and on mushrooms on NES Super Mario Bros" when they saw Mario 64.
Shenmue and Sonic Adventure are early 00's games, not 90s.
All these games exhibited new strengths and new limitations simultaneously because games changed. Some of them were revolutionary for their own reasons in their time.
If PS5 games become primitive in the future that doesnt change the fact that it introduced revolutionary solutions in it's time.

I replayed it during the pandemic still an amazing game. Maybe you should play it and be reminded of what an imagination actually is.
I dont see many of us wanting to go back, play Ultima Online and think "jeez thats like playing Witcher 3 only better, because it doesnt have long loading times".
It is nonsensical to compare modern 3D open world games with a flat 2D 1997 game. They dont play the same, thet dont feel the same, Ultima Online has it's own limitations.
With modern games you have fully simulated worlds with bigger variety, that stretch as far as your eyes can see, that solved all kinds of problems found in the 90s, and now hey are about to get even better by solving another set of problems

Last edited:
I replayed it during the pandemic still an amazing game. Maybe you should play it and be reminded of what an imagination actually is.
I’m sure it is but you’re totally missing my point.

I mean, if we all want instant loading with incredibly open worlds where you could literally never never visit the whole map and only have an ini to load then I’d be playing the original Elite.

The imagination you’re lacking is what could be possible with this technology vs old technology, all those repeated textures - limited viewing angles etc all are removed. Sure games have done similar before but as I put it previously it’s like saying why live in a house when essentially a cave gives you the same protection from the elements.

I don’t blame people for not understanding what the tech brings, Sony for me are to blame due to their lack of focus on games that might show the advantages better and are now releasing PS5 games on PS4 as well which (rightly) questions what the SSD brings to the table.

I'm not sure about that. For niche market titles perhaps, early adopters have more dispoable income and are looking for a variety of methods to justify the expense of their new toys.

But for large mainstream titles, I doubt you're going to see more sales on PS5 vs PS4.
resident evil niche market ? lmao

Residen 7 sold more than gran turismo 6 and sport, its not niche, just stop :d
Its 4 million units worldwide + digital on all platforms.
It's certainly an incredible number sure, but this data point isn't sufficient at saying that PS4 generation needs to die off sooner.

When FIFA and COD, and GTA start selling more on PS5 than PS4, this is fairly sound argument then. I don't see the equivalence here; I'm sorry.

Its 4 million units worldwide + digital on all platforms.
It's certainly an incredible number sure, but this data point isn't sufficient at saying that PS4 generation needs to die off sooner.

When FIFA and COD, and GTA start selling more on PS5 than PS4, this is fairly sound argument then. I don't see the equivalence here; I'm sorry.
Why do you compare fifa cod and gta to gran turismo ? Resident evil is closer in sales number

Why do you compare fifa cod and gta to gran turismo ? Resident evil is closer in sales number

Because each game should know it's audience and have a solid idea of how many sales they will generate from each platform. They should ultimately know where their crowd is.
The reason I talk about COD and FIFA is because they know how wide their audience is, they'll play on a variety of devices, and a variety of income levels and age groups. Cutting off last generation could be a massive hit to their player base and potential profits.

For RE, all this shows is that their player base has moved onto PS5. It's not any sort of indication that is the case for other games.

We expect that moving on the generation, more people will migrate. But this gap you see here, is not likely representative of all titles, so that's why cross gen is sticking around for a while longer. Even then 15% of 4 million, is still a substantial amount to continue doing cross-gen. That's 600K units still moved.

Back