Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

I suppose they want that Memorial Day holiday surge to be a real thing now. They don't want this to end, ever.

Along with that mask policy adjustment, there are a few extremely crowded places like the Ceder Point Amusement Park which says masks should be worn unless you are vaccinated but they will NOT be checking vaccination status. Everyone knows full well what that means. Those not vaccinated will simply claim they were and not wear a mask.

The spread of COVID will depend on 2 factors:
1. How dense the population is.
2. How dense the population is.

You wrote the same thing twice I assume you meant
2. If you have been vaccinated you are much less likely to transmit covid to someone else, though this does not mean its impossible to transmit it to someone else

(also masks etc may help a bit)

You wrote the same thing twice I assume you meant
2. If you have been vaccinated you are much less likely to transmit covid to someone else, though this does not mean its impossible to transmit it to someone else

(also masks etc may help a bit)

1. Population density
2. Population intelligence.

;)

Yeah I should be getting the call up within a month for the first jab, from my understanding from the website(in catalan so my understanding is not 100% correct) AZ looks like for the older ppl and moderna , pfizer for the younger ppl

J&J has just been authorised for use in the UK but no doses given as yet. We're waiting to hear the age usage recommendations for this one from the JCVI. I have a suspicion that they will recommend for use in the under-30s (perhaps just over-25s?) despite the small risk of thrombosis due to the spread of B.1.617.2 over here. The rare thrombosis events appears to occur at a lower rate than with the AZ vaccine and the risk of infection is rapidly heading upwards compared to when the advice for AZ to be kept to over-40s was set. Overall, it would definitely be a benefit to reducing the overall impact of the pandemic if the one-shot vaccine could be rolled out quickly to those with no protection at present.

Third wave incoming in the UK:

We're still at a stage where early action could ameliorate the severity, but little chance of this occurring. There shouldn't be nearly as many deaths as the previous waves due to the vaccine rollout amongst the most vulnerable, but the NHS will still be put under overwhelming pressure due to hospitalisation of the unvaccinated majority if numbers of infections are allowed to rise too high.

I think my holiday booked towards the end of July is probably going to be scuppered, unfortunately.

As with the Kent variant, where the UK leads, others will follow though, with a bit of luck, Europe will have the time to get more people vaccinated to reduce the problems.

More bad news. The latest data indicates risk of hospitalisation if infected by B.1.617.2 (AKA Delta), is 2.5 times that if infected by B.1.1.7 (AKA Alpha). Also still apparently 50 to 60% more transmissible. Not good, to say the least. I suppose we'll need to wait a little longer before we have firm data about mortality of this one. As infections are doubling roughly every 8 days in the UK, we'll not have to wait too much longer, however...

More information:

Well, twitter have been stupid there, but then I suppose they are only catering to the stupidity of many of their users who would think it meant vaccinated people were infectious.

No practicable way that somebody shedding small amounts of a protein could infect others without the attached viral machinery.

Yep. Would still be a good idea to keep the number of infections down, however, and that doesn't appear to be something which much thought is going into at present. Cases of the Delta variant are still surging in the UK, despite the fact that last week was a school holiday so that would have cut transmissions down as cases have been exploding amongst school-age children. The link between number of infections and hospitalisations is certainly improved in comparison to the pre-vaccine days but it remains to be seen by how much and to what level hospital admissions and deaths will rise. Cases are still doubling every 8 or 9 days or so so the absolute numbers requiring hospitalisation soon is likely to start rising. The earliest possible date for the relaxation of all restrictions was slated for 2 weeks from today. Can't see that being at all possible - it would make sense to at least keep the current restrictions in place for a number of weeks until a lot more of the second and first doses have been given. Might 'save the summer' to some degree, though perhaps only for travel in the UK. It wouldn't surprise me if British holidaymakers weren't allowed to various European holiday destinations by the summer holidays if cases of the Delta variant keep doubling as they have been doing over the past couple of months.

got my first shot of pfizer today, next is in 3 weeks on the same day as I fly to menorca, wondering if its a good to delay it until I get back, dont wanna have a headache on holiday

got my first shot of pfizer today, next is in 3 weeks on the same day as I fly to menorca, wondering if its a good to delay it until I get back, dont wanna have a headache on holiday

I thought the idea of getting COVID-19 as worse than having a headache, oh well? :-?
You do know it takes 2 weeks after the second Pfizer shot being administered before you are fully vaccinated right?

(I would get banned if I gave my honest opinion about people travelling on vacation before fully vaccinated during an ongoing pandemic...)

Agree with HLJ on both points.

First, a logical person would far prefer a headache versus getting COVID. A headache is a few tylenol (freshly vaccinated people are advised to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin for the 24 hours following the shot) and some water. COVID can put you into the hospital or worse, into the ground if you're unlucky enough. Having myself been through both Pfizer shots, I'll re-iterate a suggestion I've seen elsewhere in this thread: at least 12 hours before your shot, and probably 12 hours after, keep yourself super-hydrated and make sure your electrolyte levels are high. My wife and I both bought several of those big jugs of sugar-free Gatorade or Powerade or whatever, and drank one about every two or three waking hours. It was a bit much, yet at the same time neither of us had any appreciable affect from the shots -- minus perhaps a bit of late-day drowsiness on the day of our 2nd shot.

Second, I likely share HLJ's hinted-to opinion regarding people travelling without being vaccinated.

Back