Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Non RT area lights are incredibly hacky even by realtime graphics standards -- the implementation that worked for kz was likely completely insufficient for different content had to be thrown out.

First week impression of the PS5:

My setup has the PS5 and the XSX standing next to each other, so it actually looks quite good. I got the disc unit, and I think having the disc drive hump actually helps make it look less top heavy than the Digital Edition. Look is very subjective and I like it so far;

The DualSense is a massive improvement over DUALSHOCK 4 ergonomics wise, it finally puts Sony into the same league as the others in terms of controller comfortability. I like it has built-in microphone and mute button, makes casual chat and voice search easier. I found the Options button is too stiff and too close to the triangle button, I wish game developers would just use the left and right sides of the touchpad instead. And I don't know if this is a defect of my unit, but the D-pad (especially Up) feels very, very mushy. As for the headline features, I feel they are just... that? Perhaps my expectation was set too high by all the hyping, but again this is very subjective.

Next, the UI. I like the UI is running in 4K HDR, and the visual elements and animations are consistent, it makes the XSX's Dashboard feel unpolished and dated in comparison, I especially like the welcome animations on the login screen and how the Store and Game Library are seamlessly, perfectly integrated into the home screen. But my praise of the UI ends there, there's tons of usability issues across the UI:

The Control Center is easily worse than PS4's Quick Menu in its current state. It takes too many button presses to get anything done, the switcher tab, for example, takes so many button presses you might as well just hold the PlayStation button and switch game from the home menu. And how the trophy list is missing at launch is beyond me, this is made even worse by changing the behaviour of double pressing the PlayStation button. The highlight of tabs defaults to the last used one, and you can't rearrange the tabs.

The Game Library, by default shows "Your Games", which contains not the games you own & PS+, but the games you touched. You can't change the size of the tiles, there's limited ways in how you can sort the tiles, and PS4/PS5 versions of one game are represented by the same tile. The trophy list has a vertical view, but it's only used when you're comparing trophies. I haven't really used the store yet so no comment on that.

The cards have huge potential, using it to quickly get back to Astrobots feels no slower than XSX's Quick Resume. But right now the only time I found them useful was looking up hints in Astrobots (I platinumed this game, btw). They need to separated shortcuts, game activities and trophies instead of merging them into one stream.

Acoustics wise, the PS5 is easily louder than the XSX under load (but interestingly quieter than the XSX while idling). My unit is unfortunate enough to have coil whine, but luckily just about any noise or game audio will mask it. The fan immediately ramps up as soon as you launch a game, quite a contrast to XSX which maintains a relatively stable fan speed.

Right now Astrobots is the only true PS5 I've played, I do have Miles Morales but I think I'll watch my roommates playing through it instead. I'm enjoying Persona 5 from the PS+ Collection.

Acoustics wise, the PS5 is easily louder than the XSX under load (but interestingly quieter than the XSX while idling). My unit is unfortunate enough to have coil whine, but luckily just about any noise or game audio will mask it. The fan immediately ramps up as soon as you launch a game, quite a contrast to XSX which maintains a relatively stable fan speed.

I have only heard the fan on mine once since I bought it (launch day). And that was just a couple of seconds of noise that was only noticeable because it is normally silent. Even with multi hour slogs through Valhalla and Warframe it's never loud enough to hear. In fact I thought it was broken to start with!

You seem to have been unlucky with coil wine and fan noise :(

I have only heard the fan on mine once since I bought it (launch day). And that was just a couple of seconds of noise that was only noticeable because it is normally silent. Even with multi hour slogs through Valhalla and Warframe it's never loud enough to hear. In fact I thought it was broken to start with!

Or maybe he is living in hotter places?

Ah the fan noise is absolutely a ok! I made the observation when the room was completely quiet. Like I said in the original post, in reality just about any ambient noise or game audio will mask the fan noise or coil whine. The coil whine is slightly more observable because it’s high pitched, but still a no-issue.

I find the difference between the fan speed policy of the two consoles interesting. On PS5 the fan seems to barely spin when it’s idling, but ramps up immediately when you launch a game; On XSX the fan speed seems consistent throughout, only when running a game that consumes 200w of power (Gears 5) you can tell a slight increase in fan speed.

On PS5 the fan seems to barely spin when it’s idling, but ramps up immediately when you launch a game; On XSX the fan speed seems consistent throughout, only when running a game that consumes 200w of power (Gears 5) you can tell a slight increase in fan speed.
Are you a human bat or are you quite close to the PS5? I can't hear my PS5 or XSX even when right next to them.

I can feel the vibration, the air flow and I can hear a pin drop. :runaway:

Are you a human bat or are you quite close to the PS5? I can't hear my PS5 or XSX even when right next to them.

I can feel the vibration, the air flow and I can hear a pin drop. :runaway:
When the room is completely quiet.

If you can't hear the fan noise when your room is quiet, perhaps it's because of hearing deterioration due to aging? I have (pretty bad) tinnitus and I can definitely hear them in a quiet room.

Or maybe because both consoles sit next to a wall so the noise is reflected back at me?

Are you a penguin @DSoup or just live in a frozen wonderland where fans don't spin as much? :LOL:
I live in central London, it's 24 degrees outside and all the windows are open. An absolutely silent/quiet room is an extremely rare thing.

When the room is completely quiet.

If you can't hear the fan noise when your room is quiet, perhaps it's because of hearing deterioration due to aging? I have (pretty bad) tinnitus and I can definitely hear them in a quiet room.

Or maybe because both consoles sit next to a wall so the noise is reflected back at me?

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-noise-different-fans

from measuring the difference in noise from ps5 and xbox series X is small, if you are hearing a large diference then you prolly have a shitty fan, complain to Sony. Pretty bad on their part

Cross-platform operating sounds for PS5 VS Xbox Series X.
Noise performance Boot up Waiting Install games Run game
PS5
49.5 dB level 45.8 dB 58.4 dB 47.0 dB
Xbox Series X. victory 49.5 dB level 45.2 dB victory 56.0 dB victory 45.3 dB victory
Let’s look at the intoxicating part first. This part is won by the Xbox Series X, although the gap between the two is very small.

Cross-platform operating temperature performance for PS5 VS Xbox Series X.

Temperature performance Waiting Install games Run the game
PS5
victory 40.4 degrees 44.2 degrees 50.0 degrees victory
Xbox series
X. 33.4 degrees victory 30.0 degrees victory 55.3 degrees
https://newsbeezer.com/taiwaneng/sp...big-cars-to-see-who-is-quietest-and-quietest/

Back