Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

13:43 I laughed my ass off
1hour session I played trying to figure the character while playing against humans.
The net code is simply amazing. Sometimes I forget that I am playing online. Super responsive.
Its crazy good.

Seems like friendly quick matches dont exist. But at least you get ranking quick matches.

I have to say that the game is growing on me.
I ve noticed that some stages have brilliant music. Especially Shun's stage. Cant say the same for all. But those that do....damn.
The more you get into the game's mechanics the more it starts to feel like an awesome choreographed martial art's movie.
The animations are beautiful.
VF3's animations were off. VF2 animations were groundbreaking for their time. VF5 final showdown's animations for me are the equivalent. Not just how they look. But how they feel. They feel better than ever. They have weight. This was a problem for both VF2 and VF3.

The models I think have a lot more geometry than Tekken 7's. The game maintains a consistent art style, unlike Tekken 7's which is a bit all over the place. And a lot unlike DOA which is a complete mess.

Some of them certainly received more care, which makes their presentation amazing. The female characters seem to suffer a bit. Akira's, Shun's and Lau's faces are brilliant and evoke personality, something that was missing before.

For example Lau's face is more sinister than before and his foggy eyes give character. He looks like a bad ass martial art villain with mystic skills. Akira's face evokes strength and determination more than ever. Shun is the perfect representation of a drunken master. Jacky's face is now more pronounced, kinda hides that Jeet Kune Do Bruce Lee personality under that blond American character. His face isnt always complimented well by the lighting system in some stages. So in darker stages it looks brilliant. I very lid stages his facial details are erased by flat lighting.

What I like about the game's visuals is that Sega carefully placed some light sources around the stage (or in some other interesting way) that give the characters a rim light effect. It pronounces their silhouettes and details while fighting. I love it.
I only wish it had a deeper training mode because this is probably literally the chess of fighting games.

Visually I rank it like this DOA6<Soul Calibur<Tekken 7< VF5 US<MK11.
Gameplay I rank it like this MK11<DOA6<Soul Calibur<Tekken 7< VF5 US

Last edited:
Reactions: snc

I love this. Although some character costume choises are odd.
Kage could have been Yoshi instead of Lars, Goh could have been Paul (edit:eek:r Dragunov) instead of Bryan, Jacky could have been Law instead of Paul, Fei could have been Feng instead of Eddy, Brad could have been Bryan or Steve instead of Claudio, Takarashi could have been Ganryu instead of Bob, Pai could have been Xiaoyou instead of Lili, Eilieen could have been Josie or Chloe instead of Alessa. Aoi and Asuka are compatible characters and they could have kept Asuka's Aikido style of garments or even have Kazumi's costume.

The rest are pretty good matching choices I think.

Last edited:
Back