Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Most gamers won't notice those additionnal details. It's not like the game on PS4 was lacking details as it was one of the most detailed open-world game already. This will be great for people spending time on photo-mode or screenshots counting the polygons.

For most others the game will be very similar to the PS4 game with the same framerate and its blurry mess in motion. Guerrilla do not get what next-gen is about.

EDIT: Apparently the game will have a 60fps mode! Great news.

You won't see the details but it seems most people saw the details during the game presentation. For people who want a better framerate , they have a 60 fps mode.

The quality mode is 4k 30 fps and no details about the 60 fps probably 1440p reconstructed or checkerboard 2160p 60 fps.

EDIT: They dedicate part of the team to PS5 improvement.

Last edited:
It's super funny to me that something shipping on ps4 and ps5 is deemed ps4 title. Applying this same logic to pc games makes all pc games non ray traced old laptop grinds with no hope of being anything modern. It's possible to scale engines and assets. Scaling from ps4 to ps5 is easier than trying to target every pc from laptop to highend desktop and throw in the consoles also to the mix. We already know even the old guerrilla engine can scale as seen by death stranding and horizon1 shipping for pc. It would be unlikely their new engine would be somehow worse.

All depends on the skills of the studio.

From my POV Guerrilla has earnt some respect technologically already when doing killzone series. Horizon showed they can do open world and fun game mechanics. Horizon and death stranding pc and ps4 pro versions showed guerrilla engine scales. I have no reason to doubt guerrilla would suddenly start to do worse than they did in past. They also are now claiming 60fps mode which is another proof of scaling. It's also nice as it allows players to pick eye candy or fps based on their want.

Everything I see in the trailer and interviews shows me guerrilla has used the 4 years since hzd launch well. I would be surprised if forbidden west doesn't get rave reviews and compete solidly for game of the year title.

From my POV Guerrilla has earnt some respect technologically already when doing killzone series. Horizon showed they can do open world and fun game mechanics. Horizon and death stranding pc and ps4 pro versions showed guerrilla engine scales. I have no reason to doubt guerrilla would suddenly start to do worse than they did in past. They also are now claiming 60fps mode which is another proof of scaling. It's also nice as it allows players to pick eye candy or fps based on their want.

Everything I see in the trailer and interviews shows me guerrilla has used the 4 years since hzd launch well. I would be surprised if forbidden west doesn't get rave reviews and compete solidly for game of the year title.

So scaling does exist now. As said before, scaling does work these days and quite nicely aswell. To a stark controst to previous older generations where scaling wasnt all that hot, things have become much and much better, aslong you dont get too ambitious anyway.

Also, i wouldnt judge a game based on a single trailer either.

So scaling does exist now. As said before, scaling does work these days and quite nicely aswell. To a stark controst to previous older generations where scaling wasnt all that hot, things have become much and much better, aslong you dont get too ambitious anyway.

Also, i wouldnt judge a game based on a single trailer either.

Scaling exist but most of the time is not so good, here they explained they dedicated a full part of the team to only improve PS5 version and it will be visible. At least visually it was my problem here they took extra budget and time to make the two versions very different.

No take the same assets, barely improve effect and scale only resolution and framerate.

Last edited:
The difference between low and beyond ultra settings can be rather huge depending on what engine/game is being used. Sometimes the difference between last gen to next gen.

It's all about developer time, quality and budget. If developer has plenty of time the end result will be better than if same developer had less time. This is same argument we had earlier. MGS2 had extra 20months development time versus miles morales for example. 20months of more work makes a big difference. TFlops alone will do nothing if they are not used properly. Developer time used to develop launch games is the dominant factor. Late gen games are usually better as developers have had more time to figure out hw and algorithsm. That's why launch window games never have been as pretty as the late generation titles.

No need to look further than halo to see extreme importance of development time. Halo really showed flops alone means nothing and it's possible to use those flops to generate game that doesn't look impressive even for a last gen game. I bet that it will look a lot better once dev has put more time into it despite hw has not changed.

Or let's say in another way. cp2077 is still a broken game despite all the tflops in the world. I'm still waiting for more patches before playing it with the non peasant rtx configuration. Graphics or tflops doesn't fix broken game. It's more development time that is needed.

Against this backdrop having miles morales, ratchet&clank, horizon out in launch window is amazing. GoW and GT7 coming 2022 is even more amazing. How long did we have to wait for GT on ps4? I think it was a long time after launch when gt sport came out. The single track demo's I don't count as full gt games.

MGS2 had extra 20months development time versus miles morales for example.

MGS2 launched within a year of the consoles launch. It did impress much more so then any PS5 title has done so far for the time eras they where released in. The PS2 was also very hard to develop for.

No need to look further than halo to see extreme importance of development time. Halo really showed flops alone means nothing and it's possible to use those flops to generate game that doesn't look impressive even for a last gen game. I bet that it will look a lot better once dev has put more time into it despite hw has not changed.

The game hasnt been launched yet, cant assesinate a title before its launched. TF's dont mean everything and thats basically true for every other hardware metric, but that doesnt mean a game should look like HFW either as opposed to the hype we got beforehand. Though, i can admit thats not just sony's cross gen messaging fault, forum users have hype bombed folks way too ambitious.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...ests-creators-promise-highly-ambitious-sequel

They are using the PS5 raytracing too

How are you making use of the console’s ray tracing tech?

Mathijs de Jonge: We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing. I'm not a tech engineer, so I can't explain it in much more detail than this. But yes, we are utilizing it./quote]

This piece from the interview gets me really excited
The demo itself, it takes place in this warm, almost tropical setting of post-apocalyptic San Francisco. However, this is just one of many, many climates and terrain types that you'll experience as Aloy travels through the very variable and open world of the Forbidden West

This is also exciting. Maybe we get ps5 pro that can run quality mode 60fps and a patch for even prettier 30fps mode

Mathijs de Jonge: For the PlayStation 5 version, we are supporting two modes. One is Performance Mode. And another is something like a Quality Mode. The Quality Mode is 4K 30 FPS, but the Performance Mode is indeed 60 FPS. So yes, we do have a 60 FPS version for the PlayStation 5.

This piece from the interview gets me really excited

This is also exciting. Maybe we get ps5 pro that can run quality mode 60fps and a patch for even prettier 30fps mode

Better details on some assets like moss, better LOD far away from the camera too.
Are there any noticeable differences between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game? Has this cross-generation development process proven to be limiting in any way?
Mathijs de Jonge: I don't think the cross-generation development was limiting in any way. When we started with the concept of this game, we had so many great ideas that ended up being included - to the point that we didn't really think about hardware limitations or anything, we just wanted to design a really nice, unique experience for the player. An awesome adventure. That's how we also brainstormed all the quests and events the player is going to go through. I think that the big delta between these two consoles, apart from the 3D audio, quick loading and DualSense of course, is on the graphical side of things. On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy’s face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away.

I don't think many people notice in the demo, but you could see moss growing on the rocks. On the PlayStation 5, each individual strand of moss is rendered individually. So this machine is so powerful, and it can add so much more detail to the image. I think that's one of the biggest deltas, next to the processing power of the machine. We also use it for a specific lighting rig. This is a cinematic lighting rig that we normally only have time to use in cinematics. Because the PlayStation 5 is so much more powerful, we have it on all the time. During gameplay, there's a very high-quality rendering and lighting system on a lot. So there are all these extra features that make the game look even better.

Cool 4 songs heard during the trailer are available

Last edited:
I don't think many people notice in the demo, but you could see moss growing on the rocks. On the PlayStation 5, each individual strand of moss is rendered individually.

Looks like they nicked that from Death Stranding then!

Gorilla: "here, have our whole engine"
Kojima: "in return I give you some moss tech and 2000 hours of Norman Reddus performance capture and full nude body scans"

Looks like they nicked that from Death Stranding then!

Gorilla: "here, have our whole engine"
Kojima: "in return I give you some moss tech and 2000 hours of Norman Reddus performance capture and full nude body scans"

The height fog comes from Death Stranding too.

An ex lead character artist of GG talk about the trailer. She can't talk freely of everything because she is under NDAs. She worked on HZD not HFW.

EDIT: She worked on HFW too, she quitted GG in 2019.

Last edited:
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/cultu...nterview?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Another interview
“Our engineers spent an incredible amount of time on the water rendering and wave techniques. They probably spent years on that,” says de Jonge.

Horizon%252520Lead.jpg

C8d5CBD35NoagGyGnw5VQm.jpg

Back