Avowed [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Well the ending of the avowed trailer looks great and looking at unreal demo it could be possible

Avowed-feature-1920x1080.jpg

I don't see anything really out of the scope of unreal engine 5 here.

From what I understand this game has been in development for about 3 years. So I think a late 2022 launch is possible. So maybe starfield early 2022 (winterish ?) and avowed as their rpg for the fall.

Its crazy how long games development takes. The game is already 3 years in development and target to launch late 22/23 .... anyway super hyped for this game hoping for some gameplay footage during the E3

https://www.windowscentral.com/deta...-obsidian-outer-worlds-meets-medieval-fantasy
Sources familiar with internal plans have reached out to us in recent months offering details on Avowed, now deep into pre-production at Obsidian Entertainment. The studio is close to having a working early version of the game, with many mechanics and core gameplay pillars already implemented.
The Outer Worlds fans already have plenty of reasons to be excited about Obsidian's upcoming slate, given that The outer worlds 2 has been confirmed. Avowed seems to be based on a similar, albeit enhanced engine from The Outer Worlds, complete with action-oriented first-person combat and deep RPG exploration and narrative systems. We were told Avowed will feature multiple class playstyles and borrow from Skyrim's two-handed combat system. You could wield two daggers and be a stealthy rogue, or dive into archery with a two-handed bow. You could use a combination of swords and magic, or go full two-handed magic, which is required to wield some of the game's more potent spells and abilities.
If The Outer Worlds was Obsidian's take on a Fallout-style game, Avowed is undoubtedly Obsidian's take on The Elder Scrolls. The two-handed, first-person combat style is unmistakable, but there are obvious differences in early documentation.

At least directly compared to the likes of Skyrim and Oblivion, Avowed seems to be a far more colorful game, reminding me far more of The Outer Worlds. Luminescent cave mushrooms, verdant forests awash with gigantic flora, and hulking sunlit temples complete with skeleton-infested depths and tombs are plentiful. It came as a bit of a surprise given the game's original trailer, which seemed like it was trying to strike a much darker tone, save for the neon spell effects.
I teased on my podcast recently that I'd bet money that we'd see another Xbox exclusive, Hellblade II, at The Game Awards this year — since I've indeed heard that this is the plan. Perhaps we could get a two-for-one deal and see Avowed show up there too, but it may be too early just yet.

There's the suggestion that this a 2023 title. As a post Starfield follow on, Q2 would be a nice point for it to release. If the game's more contained like TOW, it being 18mths-ish out could work?

There's the suggestion that this a 2023 title. As a post Starfield follow on, Q2 would be a nice point for it to release. If the game's more contained like TOW, it being 18mths-ish out could work?

It could work. 2023 avowed , 2024 fable , 2025 outer worlds 2 , 2026 elder scrolls ?

Also re-reading some older comments in here I think we can all safely say this wont be on the xbox one consoles. a 2023 or later release on xbox one doesn't really make sense and now with xcloud coming out for xbox one i would guess that is the way an xbox one owner would be able to play this

I don't think it was

https://avowed.obsidian.net/

Any launches after 2022 don't make sense to be on xbox one. I'd argue that holiday 2022 titles don't make much sense to be on xbox one. MS will just push xcloud versions for those still on older hardware.

Ummm, you just said exactly the same thing that SmooTh said.

He's using X|S to denote Xbox Series X/S.

In other words his post that you were quoting was basically confirming what you thought.

Regards,
SB

Ummm, you just said exactly the same thing that SmooTh said.

He's using X|S to denote Xbox Series X/S.

In other words his post that you were quoting was basically confirming what you thought.

Regards,
SB

sorry that is what i get for not sleeping and posting past 5am lol. The rain crazy amount of rain has me checking the basement for flooding every hour

Obsidian talks about Avowed:
• Avowed had a co-op focus early in development, now changed to a traditional Obsidian singleplayer RPG
• Avowed is Obsidian's version of what a fantasy first-person RPG is
• Finding the right balance between taking things from Pillars of Eternity and yet creating a new game that is more approachable for a larger audience
• "With Avowed, wee focus on unique bespoke content, deep systems and incredible storytelling that's focused on characters, societies and factions"
• "Avowed is the natural extension of all the things we care about as a studio, of all the things we are great at."
• Obsidian showed Avowed to Microsoft as early as part of the acquisition process

Cool interview. worth a watch

Cool interview. worth a watch

All 5 episodes were interesting viewing. It's slight compared to something like the Psychonauts documentry, but what isn't? It does give a real insight into the trials and tribulations of a 100 and odd person studio though.

It reinforces that feeling I have with Obsidian and other MS purchases. They could be on the cusp of really great things now they're free from the slight desperation of finding contracts. We'll see though. I'm not that excited by Avowed right at this moment, but we haven't seen a lot.

All 5 episodes were interesting viewing. It's slight compared to something like the Psychonauts documentry, but what isn't? It does give a real insight into the trials and tribulations of a 100 and odd person studio though.

It reinforces that feeling I have with Obsidian and other MS purchases. They could be on the cusp of really great things now they're free from the slight desperation of finding contracts. We'll see though. I'm not that excited by Avowed right at this moment, but we haven't seen a lot.
Problem is, Obsidian still seem to be acting as if they are still in a desperation situation, unwilling to dedicate too much for any one project for fear of failure sinking the whole studio. One of the whole points of why people thought this was a positive acquisition was that it'd give Obsidian financial security to stop worrying and just do what they do best. I dont think a bunch of sort of mid-budget, smaller scale AA games is really what people were hoping for from this.

But maybe Microsoft have something to do with this as well? Smaller scale projects mean more release windows they can fill, to keep Gamepass subscription subs up.

Problem is, Obsidian still seem to be acting as if they are still in a desperation situation, unwilling to dedicate too much for any one project for fear of failure sinking the whole studio. One of the whole points of why people thought this was a positive acquisition was that it'd give Obsidian financial security to stop worrying and just do what they do best. I dont think a bunch of sort of mid-budget, smaller scale AA games is really what people were hoping for from this.

But maybe Microsoft have something to do with this as well? Smaller scale projects mean more release windows they can fill, to keep Gamepass subscription subs up.
less money means smaller titles, less chance of financial failure and more innovation in the gameplay side of things and less on the graphics side of things (where the bulk of costs exists). I honestly think reducing is where it's at for game studios. We've gone full tilt into pure cinematic blockbuster titles that cost enormous sums of money, and I think the game industry needs to pull back and away from this. I'm thankful the GOTY contenders for each year are Elden Ring, BG3, and BOTW2 a guiding light for the industry.

Last edited:
less money means smaller titles, less chance of financial failure and more innovation in the gameplay side of things and less on the graphics side of things (where the bulk of costs exists). I honestly think reducing is where it's at for game studios. We've gone full tilt into pure cinematic blockbuster titles that cost enormous sums of money, and I think the game industry needs to pull back and away from this. I'm thankful the GOTY contenders for each year are Elden Ring, BG3, and BOTW2 a guiding light for the industry.

Yup, as long as Obsidian are never pushed (forced) to implement AAA level graphics, they'll be free to focus on gameplay unlike almost all other AAA studios. I'd much prefer a studio that has the freedom to implement whatever gameplay ideas that they have free from the shackles of having to make something work with AAA graphics (and the demand that imposes on development time, development budget, hardware performance and hardware budget).

Chasing the latest and greatest AAA graphics is the most surefire way to make sure that any game is limited in scope as to what they can do with the gameplay without being able to budget the time and money that someone like RockStar can afford to spend. I still laugh (sadly) that Guerilla games had to cut gameplay elements due to chasing cutting edge AAA graphics in HFW (the infamous, we can't do flying on PS4. :rolleyes:)

Regards,
SB

I could get onboard with what you're saying if that was actually what was happening, but is there any reason to think Avowed or Outer Worlds 2 are somehow making large leaps in gameplay innovation?

Nobody plays Obsidian games for the innovative gameplay anyways. They want good writing and interesting and varied quest-branching options. Expecting gameplay innovation from Obsidian is weird. But people also want this sort of thing without technical and scope limitations from a smaller budget. Again, that's where the hype of Microsoft buying them comes from. Allowing them to go big, not stay small and limited.

I think you're very naive, or at least are thinking from a very niche-perspective, if you think otherwise.

I could get onboard with what you're saying if that was actually what was happening, but is there any reason to think Avowed or Outer Worlds 2 are somehow making large leaps in gameplay innovation?

Nobody plays Obsidian games for the innovative gameplay anyways. They want good writing and interesting and varied quest-branching options. Expecting gameplay innovation from Obsidian is weird. But people also want this sort of thing without technical and scope limitations from a smaller budget. Again, that's where the hype of Microsoft buying them comes from. Allowing them to go big, not stay small and limited.

I think you're very naive, or at least are thinking from a very niche-perspective, if you think otherwise.
There's a large list of games here that would be considered top shelf cRPG.
Avowed, PoE, Outerworlds are more returns to form.

Pentinent and Grounded are pretty innovative for them.

Doesn't look like the thread's mentioned it, but Avowed's scale is similar to KotOR2 or The Outer Worlds. It's not Skyrim style openworld.

There's a large list of games here that would be considered top shelf cRPG.
Avowed, PoE, Outerworlds are more returns to form.

Pentinent and Grounded are pretty innovative for them.
If it was still 2005, that'd be great. It's not, though. Standards are higher now.

Like, do you not remember how people initially reacted when Obsidian announced The Outer Worlds? People were overjoyed and thought Obsidian were here to save the day and show Bethesda how it's done. But because they were quite budget-limited, this didn't really happen. The scale and quality of Outer Worlds just didn't really impress many people. It was ok. It was not what people were hoping for.

The purchase by Microsoft had people thinking that Obsidian were gonna be granted the keys to the vault to make a big vision game that would blow people away. Bottom line - Outer Worlds disappointed people and Obsidian need to *much* better to achieve what people want.

Look, I have no doubt that Avowed could be a really good game, and that Outer Worlds 2 could be a solid improvement on the first game. I'm a big believer in Obsidian RPG's and even lots of AA games. But what I like is immaterial to the fact that Obsidian will have a very hard time meeting expectations from the gaming market as a whole if they're only making AA-scale games.

If it was still 2005, that'd be great. It's not, though. Standards are higher now.

Like, do you not remember how people initially reacted when Obsidian announced The Outer Worlds? People were overjoyed and thought Obsidian were here to save the day and show Bethesda how it's done. But because they were quite budget-limited, this didn't really happen. The scale and quality of Outer Worlds just didn't really impress many people. It was ok. It was not what people were hoping for.

The purchase by Microsoft had people thinking that Obsidian were gonna be granted the keys to the vault to make a big vision game that would blow people away. Bottom line - Outer Worlds disappointed people and Obsidian need to *much* better to achieve what people want.

Look, I have no doubt that Avowed could be a really good game, and that Outer Worlds 2 could be a solid improvement on the first game. I'm a big believer in Obsidian RPG's and even lots of AA games. But what I like is immaterial to the fact that Obsidian will have a very hard time meeting expectations from the gaming market as a whole if they're only making AA-scale games.
What an odd narrative. Outterworlds was made before MS purchased them and has an 82 metacritic. Avowed started development before MS bought them and the scope of the project changed.

IF you want a starfield game out of Obsidian you are going to be waiting 8 years or more because that is how long it takes to make such a game . IF you want multiple aaa games out of obsidian at a time you are going to have to wait for them to grow. It doesn't happen over night. I am sure if avowed was an 8 year game people would complain that there are no games and that the games take too long to release. People were already complaining about Avowed not being released before this e3 as it was.

Back