Apple is an existential threat to the PC

There are greater distances within the US than within Europe thanks to hawaii and Alaska.
It's really about coverage. The land area of the USA is 9.83 million km². The land area of Europe is 10.18 million km². Like Hawaii, Europe has a bunch of islands off its central land mass as well.

There are greater distances within the US than within Europe thanks to hawaii and Alaska.
well if you're gonna start doing that then you better include europes overseas areas, hell france by itself has "larger distances" than the USA
I didnt realize there was a piece off the coast of canada!
Outre-mer_en.png

The main difference between Europe and the USA is the way people a distributed. Most european countries have a population density over 100 people / km². The corresponding number for the US i 34. US population is, as a first order generalization, concentrated in relatively few, large population centers, with a big part in the middle used for growing corn.

This is very off topic though.

Cheers

Like Hawaii, Europe has a bunch of islands off its central land mass as well.

Canary islands for one.

Anyway if were talking continents, it be eurasia vs the americas, the former being much larger. Its europe and asia where things like whatsapp, imo, line etc are the most used even ios users do.

But "real work" was never really the justification for a personal computer. That’s an extension of running a terminal connected to the company mainframe back in the 1960s (that we are conceptually moving back towards, ironically enough.)
Rather, a personal computer (if you move outside the x86/MS definition) could arguably be for doing personal stuff. And then it’s clear that these days, mobile devices largely fill that function. My very elderly parents ditched their last computer once they discovered iPads, and my daughters regard laptops as overly heavy tablets, with a keyboard inexplicably and annoyingly permanently attached.

They do all their messaging, photography (and sharing), videos (and sharing), banking, booking, gaming, watching films, listening to music and sharing playlists, searching, shopping, et cetera, on mobile devices. They have no interest in either a Windows or MacOS computer, hell even our administration at work is dropping their O365 subscription and moving to OS agnostic solutions for all their tasks.

Personal computers as we knew them say twenty years ago, are largely legacy devices.

Well they did package them nicely. And they did run MacOS, which provided some benefits and drawbacks that suited some.
And of course these days they are moving to their own hardware again, but conceptually these are the same as their old x86 machines, only with hardware that is better suited to the task. Which is nice, but does nothing to move them out of that legacy+work niche.

Not where I live (Denmark).
Even though Denmark is EXTREMELY digital...the "apps" leave a lot to be desired in functionality compared to the proper website/application.
You can "get by" on your mobile device.
But any serious stuff...you toss the mobile-crap on the table and boot up the proper website on a proper monitor.

And don't get me started on Enterprise...were I sit now, no body in their right mind uses Crapple...starting a new job (Infrastructure Operation Architect) next month and I will wager Crapple will be abscent there too....bigtime.

I even have a former co-worker that works as an video editor...he dropped his "Crapple is best for video-editing" after he tried a proper PC (mine) in a A/B test.

But no matter the arguments...you always end up "fighting" the R.D.F....it is very strong in Crapple-land/cult

The main difference between Europe and the USA is the way people a distributed. Most european countries have a population density over 100 people / km². The corresponding number for the US i 34. US population is, as a first order generalization, concentrated in relatively few, large population centers, with a big part in the middle used for growing corn.
I was gonna point that out as well but then you have NZ and oz which have a less population than USA (and in OZ a lot less)
The simple fact is USA internet sucks compared to similar countries WRT what you get for the price due to its monopolistic nature in large swaths of the country.
Instead of getting nationalistic about this, I never understand why ppl are like this (well I do understand), but I just find it wierd as Im never nationalistic about NZ Im also very willing to point out its multitudes of flaws, ppl tell me to stop shitting on the country often, but the thing is if you dont point out flaws then things will not get improved.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/...lies-internet-telecommunications-cheerleading
https://www.telecompetitor.com/broa...illion-americans-served-by-only-one-provider/
not OT: since Its talking about monopolies so very relevant to apple :yep2:

well if you're gonna start doing that then you better include europes overseas areas, hell france by itself has "larger distances" than the USA
Outre-mer_en.png
Hawaii is a state, with a population over a million not an overseas territory.

Last edited:

This is very off topic though.

Cheers

A bit older image but the visualization is still close enough to today's figures...

71789-004-88879E35.gif

Hawaii is a state, with a population over a million not an overseas territory.
yes I've been there to see the lava up close ;) talk about expensive during xmas $300US for a 40 min return flight to the big island from maui (the last time I took a flight was 3hrs to gran canary island $25 return, which in itself is a joke, should be illegal these subsidized flights)

I looked up the following cause its interesting
French Overseas territories are considered parts of france (unlike say the USA territory of Puerto Rico or so where ppl don't have the same rights as ppl on the mainland of USA)

i.e. French territory != USA territory

Réunion has a population of close to a million and also part of france and is an integral parts of the French Republic. Réunion is an outermost region of the European Union and is part of the eurozone.[3] Réunion and the fellow French overseas department of Mayotte are the only eurozone regions located in the Southern Hemisphere.

and is an integral parts of the French Republic. Réunion is an outermost region of the European Union and is part of the eurozone.[3] Réunion and the fellow French overseas department of Mayotte are the only eurozone regions located in the Southern Hemisphere.
Obviously its got cheap internet, since it has high population density ?
Though I'm guessing not, from memory the only thing cheap on hawaii were the buses (compared to the mainland everything costs way more), though On topic, I did manage to score some cheapish mobile data there, the guy in the shop didnt want to sell it to me (but you're not a resident etc, this is only an introductory price to get you onto the service, blah blah)

Outre-mer_en.png

It only covers 119 396 km^2 though, Queen Elizabeth technically rules over 29 958 050 km^2 and it obviously dwarfs the US. And everyone else for that matter.
2560px-Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations.svg.png

the sun never sets on the empire

Though if you remove those that are not part of the UK, the green will shrink to basically just the UK and a few dots

Just looking into the history of rwanda (cause I thought it was french controlled at one stage never british), I see it was never french controlled, german -> belgium (prolly where I confused it with french "the language")
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8384930.stm
very strange, they wanted to become part of the commonwealth must of been the glory of cricket :LOL:

If one only counts the "Commonwealth Realms" (where Queen Elizabeth II is actually head of state), the size is much smaller, but still slightly larger than Russia (in both land area and population).

IOS15 could be called IOS14.7 aswell but ok. Also, anything below Iphone 8/X (A11 Bionic) wont see the features apple made headlines with in their IOS15 unveil.

It only covers 119 396 km^2 though, Queen Elizabeth technically rules over 29 958 050 km^2 and it obviously dwarfs the US. And everyone else for that matter.
2560px-Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations.svg.png

In her Majesty's own words: "Oh really?" :D

IOS15 could be called IOS14.7 aswell but ok. Also, anything below Iphone 8/X (A11 Bionic) wont see the features apple made headlines with in their IOS15 unveil.

I dont know a single person outside of the tech world that cares about updates, they often dont even know they have an update waiting

Hell my gf got pissed when she upgraded to an iPhone without a homebutton because now she had to relearn everything

I dont know a single person outside of the tech world that cares about updates, they often dont even know they have an update waiting

Hell my gf got pissed when she upgraded to an iPhone without a homebutton because now she had to relearn everything

Its for many a reason to go with an iphone/ipad, due to the many OS updates. Thing is, compared to Android its kinda hard to compare like for like, as Android is modular, software (even core) is usually updated via the playstore, while IOS updates usually everything with a whole new OS update. Android phones might see fewer OS revisions but also need fewer.

Back