Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

The last two XSX I bought were with All-Access GamePass. They are easily available that way.

It makes sense that Microsoft may divert Series X stock to regions with less regulation on credit agreements. For the most part, credit agreements in Europe, are more regulated. Putting stock where the most profit is makes sense.

I ended up swapping my daughter's One S for a Series S this weekend as Game (UK store) are running a good trade in deal.

It lives under the main TV and have to say it's blissfully quiet. The apparent height of the box is slightly annoying. Since it doesn't have the tiers of the OneS, it looks taller sat on the shelf. Nothing too offensive though.

Quick resume is brilliant.

It handed the few games I played on it brilliantly. A good 1080p picture is fine at 3m. Looking forward to giving it a workout with next gen titles when there actually are some!

If it's too rubbish at those an X is inevitable. :D

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-japan-fastest-growing-market

“I think that we are seeing stronger demand for the Series S in Japan,” said Hinton. He noted that the price made it attractive, but also offered anecdotal evidence of it being popular due to its size. “I've certainly seen a lot of people sharing their new console purchases on Twitter talking about how cute and small and appealing that is for a lot of people. So we're definitely seeing stronger demand for that.”

a small cheap next gen console works pretty well in japan it seems. Good for microsoft

For example year on year sales increase.
In this case, not only sales doubled, but both buyers are very satisfied.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-japan-fastest-growing-market

a small cheap next gen console works pretty well in japan it seems. Good for microsoft

I think this is far more important than how many XBS-S systems they are moving there.

As well as increased consumer demand for Xbox products, Hinton says that developer interest is also increasing. “We've got more Japanese-developed content in our ecosystem now than we've had at any point within our history,” he said. He also noted the Xbox’s growing popularity in Japan’s indie scene. “I think we have more development kits with independent developers in Japan than we've ever had in our history before, and there's a lot of talent and a growing independent scene in Japan,” he said.

I've stated before, that it's better to get a firm grounding with smaller developers to form a base from which to work from than just trying to make 2 or 3 AAA developers make something for you. Those smaller indie devs could be future AA or AAA developers or become a project lead on a AAA project in the future.

And fans that get to know you through the indie scene are more likely to stay with you.

Regards,
SB

Not everything has to be in comparison to the competition.
Can be measured in comparison to how they did before.
Well the quote was "a small cheap next gen console works pretty well in japan it seems. Good for microsoft"

The needle hasn't moved. Let me give a football analogy and explain how my tiny brain works;

I support Arsenal and I want then to be getting into the top 4 where we enter the big competition with all the best teams in Europe. In this comparison, I'm saying MS want to make some inroads which show some significant change.

The season just finished we ended 8th with 61 points, what's happened in Japan is like next season we get 62 points and still end up 8th.

The console is not 'working pretty well' in Japan, it's just failing by less.

Anyway, Japan is still so much crucial compared to north america and europe?

It's a lot of revenue up for grabs that MS haven't been able to snag. From a library point of view, doesn't seem to matter like it used to. There are still titles that don't appear on Xbox, but when there's so much to play, who still cares?

Anyway, Japan is still so much crucial compared to north america and europe?
No, it used to be really important - I think though MS are making quite a lot of effort in this direction, it's good to have diversity the style of games that come out from Japan are quite popular in NA and Europe too.

No, it used to be really important - I think though MS are making quite a lot of effort in this direction, it's good to have diversity the style of games that come out from Japan are quite popular in NA and Europe too.

Wish I could dig out the specific example, but it's certainly something Phil Spenser has mentioned, in terms of "look there's is a market for your title in the west and on Xbox".

I do think that digital distribution has been behind this as much as anything, and then Gamepass and Streaming will help further.

Well the quote was "a small cheap next gen console works pretty well in japan it seems. Good for microsoft"

The needle hasn't moved. Let me give a football analogy and explain how my tiny brain works;

I support Arsenal and I want then to be getting into the top 4 where we enter the big competition with all the best teams in Europe. In this comparison, I'm saying MS want to make some inroads which show some significant change.

The season just finished we ended 8th with 61 points, what's happened in Japan is like next season we get 62 points and still end up 8th.

The console is not 'working pretty well' in Japan, it's just failing by less.

Microsoft doesn't care about Sony or Nintendo, MS cares about making money. If the series s is gaining attention then it is working well in japan for them. If developers are getting interested in the xbox eccosystem from japan then its working well for them.

Microsoft doesn't care about Sony or Nintendo, MS cares about making money. If the series s is gaining attention then it is working well in japan for them. If developers are getting interested in the xbox eccosystem from japan then its working well for them.
That's great for them, so next time maybe add "for them" into the statement? Not sure if devs will be jumping on board with such low numbers though...but I'm sure you have evidence to show how well it's working for them...

That's great for them, so next time maybe add "for them" into the statement? Not sure if devs will be jumping on board with such low numbers though...but I'm sure you have evidence to show how well it's working for them...

Why is it a competition ?

Xbox is doing better in japan , they are happy with the way its performing and it seems according to them its attracting more development interest. Its all great things.

I am sorry if in a topic about the Series S I didn't bring up the PlayStation or switch.

As for developers a lot of niche titles outside of the japanese market place can do well on game pass. They can be organically found through the service and tried instead of someone investing large amounts of money into a game or series they wont enjoy.

There are plenty of game series I've never played before and decided to give a go cause i was bored and it was on game pass and I ended up enjoying and playing through to competition or dumping large amounts of hours into. For a small developer that can be a big deal.

But of course I didn't bring up sony or nintendo in that either for shame. I will go walk a few miles in the 100 degree heat to atone for my sins

There's a lot of cultural barriers in Japan for Xbox. I think the goal for MS is just to get enough developer interest to keep title diversity up for NA and EU gamers. DQ XI, Scarlet Nexus and things like that. For my part, I'm happy to be playing DQ XI for free on GamePass right now. :)

Why is it a competition ?

Xbox is doing better in japan , they are happy with the way its performing and it seems according to them its attracting more development interest. Its all great things.

I am sorry if in a topic about the Series S I didn't bring up the PlayStation or switch.

As for developers a lot of niche titles outside of the japanese market place can do well on game pass. They can be organically found through the service and tried instead of someone investing large amounts of money into a game or series they wont enjoy.

There are plenty of game series I've never played before and decided to give a go cause i was bored and it was on game pass and I ended up enjoying and playing through to competition or dumping large amounts of hours into. For a small developer that can be a big deal.

But of course I didn't bring up sony or nintendo in that either for shame. I will go walk a few miles in the 100 degree heat to atone for my sins
Obviously, congratulations to MS on nabbing another 0.5% of the market and doubling their slice of the pie. I was just taken aback by the initial comment and thought it was actually doing well…my mistake…I’ll remember in future that all comments in all dedicated threads must be as if in a vacuum that it is the only product on the planet.

Obviously, congratulations to MS on nabbing another 0.5% of the market and doubling their slice of the pie. I was just taken aback by the initial comment and thought it was actually doing well…my mistake…I’ll remember in future that all comments in all dedicated threads must be as if in a vacuum that it is the only product on the planet.

I think your opinion counts because you own one, right? And a PS5 and a high spec PC. If anything your opinion is one with the least bias.

Back