Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

I took that to mean transform further into movies, like Hollywood movies.

Well, the rest of that quote, which I didn't include.

“We started last year by publishing two of our games on PC, Horizon Zero Dawn and Predator, and both were profitable, and really had a very successful publishing debut. We will continue that in FY21 and we will continue that beyond.

That implies that they'll continue publishing their PS catalog on PC. No mention of movies.

Regards,
SB

I took that to mean transform further into movies, like Hollywood movies.
Me too, especially with more pics leaking from the Uncharted movie and HBO The Last of Us TV show debuting this year.

I'm not expecting much of PlayStation IP on mobile but I hope they do more than Nintendo's Super Mario Run. The game genres that are hugely popular on mobile are not the same genres that are popular on console or PC. So I expect with weird pivots with IP being used in games that very different from what Sony publish to consoles.

It is a shame we don't see more well-fleshed out universes in TV. Halo, Mass Effect and Horizon Zero Dawn always felt like stories that a well-budgeted TV series could do justice.

I remain of the view that releasing new IP (but older games) like Horizon Zero Dawn on Windows was about trying to get PC owners into these IPs and thinking about buying a PS5 to consume more of that IP - although that would be predicated on Sony making more PS5s available for purchase. Days Gone seemed more about recouping already sunk development costs and I wonder if the same is true for Uncharted 4. How are Sony even picking which titles to port? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Engine is already on pc, i would assume is the first step. Ref Days gone, Death stranding, horizon..

I think there is more to it than this. For example take Horizon Zero Dawn which uses uses Sony's in-house Decima engine which was not known to support Windows until the engine was announced for Death Stranding which also came to Windows. Sony are actively ensuring some engines work on Windows which is different to Days Gone which uses Unreal.

Uncharted 4 uses Sony's in-house proprietry 'Naughty Dog engine' rather than an existing cross-platform engine. An engine supporting Windows, which neither Decima nor ND's engine ever needed to do, does not seem to be a factor.

So Sony finally decided to open up the wallet. $18 billion on games, series, movies and online services.
Is this going to add up to the $180M-year to inflate their 1st-party dev teams?

Did we miss this nugget of playstation IP's coming to mobile platforms.
I was hoping this meant Sony was bringing a mobile console, but they're really mentioning smartphones in there.. Ugh..
It really is a case of "I was gonna say".

Goddammit Sony just give me my PS4Portable..

Goddammit Sony just give me my PS4Portable..
I’ve been wondering what the power of the latest phones and tablets could do these days? The new iPad Pro has the M1 chip which I assume would eat all over a PS4, but honestly I have no idea what it would take for a real PS4 portable.

I’ve been wondering what the power of the latest phones and tablets could do these days? The new iPad Pro has the M1 chip which I assume would eat all over a PS4, but honestly I have no idea what it would take for a real PS4 portable.
Given what Apple/TSMC have done with their M1 SoC, which includes CPU, GPU and RAM, AMD could probably design a whole PS4 SoC at 5nm to work in a portable. But I am dubious about the demand for such a device.

Current phones are well above the Switch, but far away from a PS4.
A M1 is probably faster than a PS4 if given enough power and cooling, but it wouldn't be able to emulate one considering the big difference in memory bandwidth (and the fact that Sony's consoles don't operate under a virtual machine).

But I am dubious about the demand for such a device.
85 million Switch consoles were sold, which have a software library that pales in comparison with both the PS4 and Xbox One.
Sony and Microsoft are just simply leaving money on the table here. Microsoft is probably going for it this gen when they manage to squeeze a Series S into a mobile factor. Valve is now going after that market, too.

I honestly fail to see how a significant proportion of PS4 users with a library that accumulated years of Plus games or a Xbox user with years of Gold/Gamepass wouldn't be interested in a mobile version of their 8th gen console.

85 million Switch consoles were sold, which have a software library that pales in comparison with both the PS4 and Xbox One.

The Switch was designed fro the outset to be a mobile and home console, the PS4 was not. As I found when I used in-home console streaming, a lot of UIs for PS3 and PS4 games simply were simply not designed with any mindless of being legible on a small screen. Even some Switch games get this wrong.

I honestly fail to see how a significant proportion of PS4 users with a library that accumulated years of Plus games or a Xbox user with years of Gold/Gamepass wouldn't be interested in a mobile version of their 8th gen console.

If you do not already comprehend it, then I cannot help you understand that other people have different wants, needs and priorities. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Switch was designed fro the outset to be a mobile and home console, the PS4 was not. As I found when I used in-home console streaming, a lot of UIs for PS3 and PS4 games simply were simply not designed with any mindless of being legible on a small screen. Even some Switch games get this wrong.
It might not be super ergonomic at all times, but a couple of harder-to-read UI elements wouldn't turn me off from playing some fantastic games on a 8" screen.
I played PS4 streamed to my Vita with a 5.5" screen and honestly the only thing keeping me from playing more often were the terrible button layout adaptations.

If you do not already comprehend it, then I cannot help you understand that other people have different wants, needs and priorities. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's no need to get personal and sarcastic.
I wrote "a significant proportion", which obviously leaves space for a lot of people not wanting it. I didn't even write "majority".
My anecdotal experience is I don't know a single of my PS4-owning friends who wouldn't be interested in a mobile PS4, but I'm perfectly aware that not everyone wants a mobile console.

M1 looks otherwise pretty solid, but it has pretty low bandwidth to ram(68GB/s). Apple is getting close to ps4 power in a portable.

It might not be super ergonomic at all times, but a couple of harder-to-read UI elements wouldn't turn me off from playing some fantastic games on a 8" screen.
I played PS4 streamed to my Vita with a 5.5" screen and honestly the only thing keeping me from playing more often were the terrible button layout adaptations.

I wrote "a significant proportion", which obviously leaves space for a lot of people not wanting it. I didn't even write "majority".
My anecdotal experience is I don't know a single of my PS4-owning friends who wouldn't be interested in a mobile PS4, but I'm perfectly aware that not everyone wants a mobile console.

IIRC some games (very few) got remoteplay mode, where it will have different bindings and UI. Can't remember the game titles tho.

Apologies. So what are the signs of a demand for a portable PS4?

85 million Switch sales. There's demand for non-smartphone mobile gaming.

How is this equative? By this logic, Microsoft should sell as many Xbox as Sony sell PlayStations. But they don't. When you understand why this isn't the case you'll understand why the demand for a portable PS4 isn't the same as demand for Switch.

How is this equative?
(...)
When you understand why this isn't the case you'll understand why the demand for a portable PS4 isn't the same as demand for Switch.
No one suggested it's equative, except you. I didn't write the word "same" anywhere.
This is the second time in a row you make a counterpoint by injecting a false statement on my part.

There is a strong market pull for handheld gaming devices. Valve is seeing it and they're launching the SteamPal. Qualcomm is seeing it and they're launching an android console based on Snapdragon 888. All the handheld gaming PCs that appeared on crowdfunding initiatives have been blasting through all the tiers in their pledge offerings.

Despite Sony's fears of the ipads gobbling up all the mobile gaming (which obviously never happened), there's a demand for handheld consoles. The Switch's 85million sales prove that, but it doesn't mean the total addressable market for handheld consoles is only 85 million big, nor that the arrival of another handheld would take an equal amount of sales, nor that a Xbox Series M would bring 42.5 million sales.

By this logic, Microsoft should sell as many Xbox as Sony sell PlayStations. But they don't.
A flawed logic that you made up while pointing at its flaws is indeed flawed, yes.

Back