Wild Axis deer, the best meat ever - and it's available in USA

manux

Veteran
Ridiculously tasty animal with good nutritional values. Best part, this meat is as ethical to eat as a mammal can get. These creatures were imported from Africa to Hawaii. In Hawaiii they have no natural predators and are keeping some of the islands as their personal buffets and destroying farms and nature.

They are hunted from private land using FLIR+rifles during night time. USDA and FDA regulations need to be followed if the meat is to be sold for human consumption. One part is the way animal has to die instantly and without suffering. What they do is they get close enough to the animals during nightime using night vision gear. Then the animal is shot straight to head, insta kill. Meat is carried away, butchered and frozen.

So I bought some from here: https://mauinuivenison.com/collections/fresh-venison/products/limited-edition-anova-sous-vide-box Meat is so, so delicious. Something between bison and lamb. This rib rack was something else. Smoked it for about 35minutes at 250F, then rested meat for 10 minutes, sliced to 4 pieces. Heated up some butter+herbs+garlic in cast iron pan, pieces of meat into cast iron pan for 30seconds a side and then full omnonmon!

Highly recommend ordering some if you can.

deer-2102199_960_720-960x675.jpg

Wow that is a bit expensive but glad you enjoyed it. :) there are plenty of places in the mainland with too many white tails now.

Wow that is a bit expensive but glad you enjoyed it. :) there are plenty of places in the mainland with too many white tails now.

Worth every penny. They also have cheaper packages available. I wish I had time to learn to hunt.

Worth every penny. They also have cheaper packages available. I wish I had time to learn to hunt.

Not hard learning to hunt. Learning patience on the other hand. :)

Also, don't drink and hunt. And if you plan to try, make sure to take a serious gun safety class. I had to take one when I was 12 before I got my first hunting license.

Also, if you ever want a serious adrenaline rush. Go wild pig hunting in Hawai'i with a spear. Don't mess up though, the pigs can do some serious damage if you screw up and in rare cases even kill you.

Regards,
SB

Heres what I dont get about game. If I bought a chicken left it for 2 weeks the ate it, it would kill me but it's ok to do that with a pheasant

Heres what I dont get about game. If I bought a chicken left it for 2 weeks the ate it, it would kill me but it's ok to do that with a pheasant

In Finland, the country of dreams people eat Noble Horses and Santa's reindeers.

Also, don't drink and hunt. And if you plan to try, make sure to take a serious gun safety class. I had to take one when I was 12 before I got my first hunting license.

Also, if you ever want a serious adrenaline rush. Go wild pig hunting in Hawai'i with a spear. Don't mess up though, the pigs can do some serious damage if you screw up and in rare cases even kill you.

Regards,
SB

Spear hunting sounds,... Crazy :D I do a lot of fishing. I hope one day I learn to hunt. Will definitely take the long route to learn gun safety, become a good shooter, go hunt with guide until I learn the ropes etc. Back in Finland many of my relatives do hunt. I ended up on the side of family that mostly does fishing.

Those axis deer are so fast that they can dodge an arrow shot at them. Crazy stuff. (arrow from proper hunting composite bow at close distance)

This is nice podcast detailing how and why they hunt the axis deer in hawaii. Also explains how it's possible for them to get usda and fda approval and sell wild game for human consumption.

Last edited:

Regards,
SB

I hunt deer in NJ all the time Lots of fun and it helps bring down the cost of meat purchases for the family.

I hunt deer in NJ all the time Lots of fun and it helps bring down the cost of meat purchases for the family.

I have hear there is a ton of bears in NJ. Is it allowed to hunt them or are they the wrong kind of bear? I have heard good things about bear meat. Though it has same parasite as pork. Needs to be fully cooked.

I have hear there is a ton of bears in NJ. Is it allowed to hunt them or are they the wrong kind of bear? I have heard good things about bear meat. Though it has same parasite as pork. Needs to be fully cooked.
They would be black bears. You can hunt them many places. That is a lot of meat. I enjoyed it when I ate it in the past but it has been quite some time now. I suggested to the wife that I start shooting things to eat but she didn't like the idea.

If I could I wouldn't like anything better than getting all meat from wild animals. Go hunt with bunch of friends and divide the meat. Hunting should be plenty of motivation to stay in shape. Week in the woods, walking up and down in rough terrain :D

Back