"New" Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) [2021-07-06]

OK, it seems unlikely they will launch this March. I know there's some kind of school holiday in March in Japan so that's a big gift buying period over there.

Just a 1 ~ 2 week break and definitely not a period where kids get gifts. Birthdays and maybe Christmas are the only time kids can expect gifts.

I also think the Switch Pro didn't launch last month.

Could this be the hardware where Nintendo finally (finally!?) upgrades from a main, 64-bit external memory bus, to something wider?

Not counting the embedded 1T-SRAM (Gamecube, Wii GPUs) or eDRAM for Wii U.

I assume the new Switch will use LPDDR4x and not LPDDR5, but it depends on what Nintendo is aiming for here.

I assume the new Switch will use LPDDR4x and not LPDDR5, but it depends on what Nintendo is aiming for here.

Cost effectiveness as always. The only way they'll sell a Pro Switch is if it's optional and they can pass that full cost on. It's still not clear if this is definitely a new base model or an optional high-end model. I must admit, I really love my original Switch so the only way they could get me to get a new one is if they put an OLED in that thing and/or massively improve the battery life.

" We have been partnering up with Nvidia to deliver a true generational leap in graphics fidelity for the NIntendo Switch Pro. Please welcome Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia!"
"Thanks for the warm welcome Furukawa. Let's get started! We at Nvidia always strive what's possible and bla bla bla bla. Therefore, we present to you the new Tegra Ultimate SoC, the strongest mobile chip we have ever built. It will allow for DLSS and Real Time Raytracing whereever you go. Here's Battlefield 6 with RTX running on the New Switch Pro. It looks beautiful. Look at the reflections, look at the real time Global Illumination powered by RTX. You have never seen that before on the go."

" We have been partnering up with Nvidia to deliver a true generational leap in graphics fidelity for the NIntendo Switch Pro. Please welcome Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia!"
"Thanks for the warm welcome Furukawa. Let's get started! We at Nvidia always strive what's possible and bla bla bla bla. Therefore, we present to you the new Tegra Ultimate SoC, the strongest mobile chip we have ever built. It will allow for DLSS and Real Time Raytracing whereever you go. Here's Battlefield 6 with RTX running on the New Switch Pro. It looks beautiful. Look at the reflections, look at the real time Global Illumination powered by RTX. You have never seen that before on the go."

More likely to be all that preamble with "...Tegra Ultimate Pro, our highest clocked X1 chip ever". ;-)

So the betting is using the old architecture, which NV is several generations beyond by now?

Sarcasm aside, that's been Nintendo's general hardware pattern for over a decade.

Nvidia stopped making the current Switch/Lite back in March, so I'm kind of curious what a solution covering the new Pro and Lite looks like.

So the betting is using the old architecture, which NV is several generations beyond by now?

It depends on what you believe.
  • NV willing to sell their latest technology at a discount? Switch might use latest Tech.
  • Nintendo willing to sell the new Switch at a loss? Switch might use latest Tech.
  • Neither of those are true? Switch probably uses older Tech.
    • If this is the case, maybe Nintendo would be willing to pay for a semi-custom part with Tensor Cores added since those apparently don't take much space. This might allow the use of DLSS 2.0 which would help with a portable console outputting 4k.
Regards,
SB

If PS5 and XSX supplies are still limited by the end of this year, this might give Nintendo a window of opportunity to overtake those consoles.

They might do it anyways if the product is compelling enough.

But they may face the same supply-chain constraints everyone is dealing with now.

Back