Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

There are senarios where they are losing money. If someone buys a PS4 as Fortnite machine (very common) and only pays in iOS device as it's more convenient, they sell you PS4s to spend money on it.
MS can make profits as Fortnite is locked behind Gold, MS is getting paid regardless where players make their IAP purchases.

IIRC, Fortnite is f2p on Xbox now

There are senarios where they are losing money. If someone buys a PS4 as Fortnite machine (very common) and only pays in iOS device as it's more convenient, they sell you PS4s to spend money on it.
MS can make profits as Fortnite is locked behind Gold, MS is getting paid regardless where players make their IAP purchases.

MOD EDIT: As was pointed out in responses later, at the time of the deal F2P was locked behind Gold, but is no longer the situation.

I would be very curious to see if their micro transactions sales dropped after cross play was added.

they could do what bungie did with Destiny. The save data is cross save and cross play is upcoming. But DLCs are not cross platform.

dunno how bungie managed to make IAP (season, cosmetics, etc) cross platform tho.

Not sure, but Epic has made several payments to Sony because of that agreement. Many in the industry are listening in live to the Epic Games vs Apple court call and reporting on any tidbits.

Almost certainly Sony are, at least for larger games with many, many transactions. What Epic want is better for their bottom line at the expense of Sony's bottom line. The same as this story where Epic were pressuring Microsoft to exempt F2P games like Fortnite from Gold. As we know, Microsoft were heading in the opposite direction, only to fold when faced with a lot of negative publicity.

Companies - all companies - Apple, Epic, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony - will make decisions to leverage their profits at every opportunity. Other companies bottom lines are not their concern and we're now seeng disclosed documents were Epic were asking Microsoft and Sony to change their policies (at their loss) to benefit Epic and in both cases it didn't initially go that way. Microsoft eventually did relent on Gold and Sony relented on Cross-Play apparently with some sneaky pass-on-the-hit fee.

Epic look like such greedy bastards in this. Billions and billions in revenue, Apple and Google being tiny, tiny, slices of that revenue pie and yet they hit them. Epic knew they couldn't attack Sony and Microsoft head on; just look at the console Fortnite player bases. But in chasing small slices of the pie they're disclosing all sorts of documents unrelated to the 30% Apple/Google cut. The same cut Microsoft and Sony have.

I honestly think Epic have err'd greatly here. They rely on a lot of their partners and because of their greed a bunch of confidential documents with key partners are being disclosed. And I am sure there are many more to come. If I was Microsoft or Sony, I would be pretty damned pissed with Epic.

So Sony's reply to Epic's request actually makes a lot of sense to me. For a multi-platform free to play title like Fortnite, if the game is played on Playstation 90% of the time, but it was cheaper or easier to buy the booster packs and costumes on iOS or Steam or whatever, then Sony would have 90% of the burden but none of the income.
So it is up to Epic to just track the amount of playtime for a player and pay out to the platform holders. But this is also not necessarily easy, as the purchase comes before the playtime, basically. But in theory, with its season pass setup, Epic could do this per season, e.g. revenue during the season is payed out to the platform holders divided by playtime at the end of the season.

I would be very curious to see if their micro transactions sales dropped after cross play was added.
I missed your comment yesterday. Yes, this would be really interesting to see if Sony's revenue skimming of Fortnite microtransactions significantly changed following the change of policy.

So Sony's reply to Epic's request actually makes a lot of sense to me. For a multi-platform free to play title like Fortnite, if the game is played on Playstation 90% of the time, but it was cheaper or easier to buy the booster packs and costumes on iOS or Steam or whatever, then Sony would have 90% of the burden but none of the income.
So it is up to Epic to just track the amount of playtime for a player and pay out to the platform holders. But this is also not necessarily easy, as the purchase comes before the playtime, basically. But in theory, with its season pass setup, Epic could do this per season, e.g. revenue during the season is payed out to the platform holders divided by playtime at the end of the season.

What burden? For cross-play the servers are Epic servers. So it's their cost. For payment processing, again the fee's will be accorded to the platform where the costumes were purchased. For cross-play matchmaking, again the servers will be Epic servers.

Here's something we don't know and I'd be interested in seeing. How many players moved to PS once cross-play was enabled because now they weren't locked to the platform where they purchased their cosmetics? And how many are now buying them PS instead of the other platform because they are playing on PS now.

There's the graph that shows that PS is currently the largest revenue generator for Fortnite, was the share of the revenue pie smaller, the same or larger before crossplay was enabled. It would not surprise if me Fortnite revenue from PS going to Epic increased after crossplay was enabled. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way as well.

We shouldn't assume that opening up crossplay means that everyone except Sony benefits.

It could be that Sony is now making even more money with potentially increased revenue from purchases combined with the added fees that Epic has to pay.

Regards,
SB

For F2P games, of course. For Fortnite in particular no, at least according to court documents.

Almost Half Fortnite’s Revenue Is From PS4, According To Apple Court Docs (forbes.com)

Regards,
SB

I must have been mixing up player base and revenue somehow. As someone before pointed out, it could be due to in-game purchases. Anyway, it seems unbelievable that a much smaller group of players actually spend more. But hey, see the IOS vs Android revenue, where IOS users spend much more in a 80 to 90% bigger android market.
Personally, i wont really get why people spend that much on virtual in-game items like a better looking outfit. But ok.

Edit: Im not either disputing anyone disregarding court docs. Also, baffles me that IOS users spend the least in fortnite, but actually are by far the largest userbase for that game.

Just when you thought everything has been worked out along comes some tidbits like this. (Seems to be actual account, verified and all)

Good news or bad news first? Good News: An update for Borderlands 3 has been prepared for release that includes full crossplay support across all platforms. Bad News: For certification, we have been required by the publisher to remove crossplay support for PlayStation consoles.

Back