Nvidia shows signs in [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems new: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...idia-corporation-public-interest-intervention
Proposed acquisition of ARM Limited by NVIDIA Corporation: public interest intervention
Under the powers set out in the Enterprise Act 2002, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport is able to intervene on national security grounds. This responsibility is discharged in a quasi-judicial capacity.

On 19 April 2021, the Secretary of State issued a public interest intervention notice (PIIN), confirming that he is intervening in the sale on national security grounds. In reaching this decision, he considered advice received from officials across the investment security community.

It doesn't really get into detail but I assume by "intervention", it means that the Secretary of State is launching their own investigation into the purchase as opposed to any denial of purchase.

Nvidia GANverse3D "inflates flat images into realistic 3D models" - Graphics - News - HEXUS.net
Nvidia research scientists have developed a tool called GANverse3D - an Nvidia Omniverse extension which can be fed a standard 2D object image, a single photo, and create a realistic 3D model. These full 3D models can then be visualised and controlled in virtual environments in Omniverse. Nvidia reckons this rapid 3D modelling tech could be a boon to architects, creators, game developers and designers. While the 3D models might look a little basic (reminds me of N64 graphics) they can be polished up later by 3D artists if required, after prototyping ideas.
GAN is an abbreviation of 'generative adversarial network' an increasingly popular AI and ML technology. Combined with real-world data sets the GAN can do a pretty good job of knowing the unknown / unseen aspects of an object. One of the key attractions and advancements of Nvidia's GANverse3D is that previous models for inverse graphics have relied on 3D shapes as well as multi-angle image training data.

Nvidia stock is going to be split 4 for 1. I suppose the idea is to make it easier to buy stock. Does this still matter? Isn't it possible to buy fractional shares on some services?

The split will come in the form of a stock dividend, distributing three additional shares of common stock for every share investors own as of close of business on June 21. The new shares will be disseminated after the market close on July 19 and will begin trading on a split-adjusted basis on July 20. The move will require shareholder approval at the company meeting next month.

It's important to note that a stock split doesn't change the fundamental value of the underlying business. Stock splits merely divide up the company into more ownership segments. In the case of NVIDIA, instead of owning one share worth $600, shareholders will have 4 shares worth $150 each
https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/05/21/nvidia-announces-4-for-1-stock-split/

Nvidia stock is going to be split 4 for 1. I suppose the idea is to make it easier to buy stock. Does this still matter? Isn't it possible to buy fractional shares on some services?

It’s purely psychological to make the stock appear “cheaper”. It’s not like people invest in stocks with just a few hundred dollars at a time anyway.

It’s purely psychological to make the stock appear “cheaper”. It’s not like people invest in stocks with just a few hundred dollars at a time anyway.

I know people who invest small sums via robin hood. I believe they use fractional shares to be able to buy a piece of amazon for example.

Last edited:
I know people who invest small sums via robin hood. I believe they use fractional shares to be able to buy a piece of amazon for example.
It is also annoying because you cannot use limits on fractional shares so I could see why this would be beneficial. When Tesla was included in the s&p 500 I wanted to take my retirement and make my own s&p version without Tesla but that is way too much work for one as lazy as me and having super expensive shares made it hard to balance it for specific companies.

Last edited:

IIRC in the US, stocks are mostly traded by 100-share units in stock exchanges. So it can still be helpful, especially for employees with stock options (they'll likely have to trade with a broker instead of using services like Robinhood).

Nvidia posts another record-beating quarter, guides for revenue upside | Seeking Alpha
  • Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) reports first quarter beats that set new records for total, gaming, and data center revenue and guided for an upside second quarter.
  • Sales in Q1 were up 84% Y/Y to $5.66B as the pandemic- and cryptomining-related graphics cards tailwind continued. Adjusted EPS of $3.66 came in a solid $0.38 ahead of estimates.
  • Gaming revenue was up 106% Y/Y and 11% Q/Q to $2.76B.
  • Data Center sales were up 79% Y/Y and 8% Q/Q to $2.05B.
  • Adjusted gross margin was 66.2% versus the 66% consensus.
  • “Mellanox, one year in, has exceeded our expectations and transformed NVIDIA into a data-center-scale computing company. We continue to make headway with our planned acquisition of Arm, which will accelerate innovation and growth for the Arm ecosystem. From gaming, cloud computing, AI, robotics, self-driving cars, to genomics and computational biology, NVIDIA continues to do impactful work to invent a better future,” says CEO Jensen Huang.
  • For Q2, revenue is expected to be within 2% of $6.3B (consensus: $5.48B), non-GAAP gross margin within 50 bps of 66.5%, and adjusted operating expenses of $1.26B.

NVIDIA Claims 3x Higher Gaming Revenue than AMD as GeForce Continues to Squeeze Radeon | Hardware Times
June 3, 2021
According to statistics from Mercury Research, the average sales price of graphics cards rose by as much as 10% in the first quarter of 2021 compared to Q4 2020, but sales only grew by 1%. Generally, this season is known for declining sales, for example, the previous year’s shipments dropped by 11% in Q1.

A report from BMO states that the graphics card market share of NVIDIA by the end of Q1 was pegged at 81%, 5.2% higher than the same period last year. AMD, on the other hand, saw a notable drop from 24% in Q1 2020 to 19% at the end of FY2021. Quarter over quarter shares were more or less static.

NVIDIA, during its Investor Presentation (June 2021) boldly claimed that its revenue in the GPU market is 3x more than its nearest rival (AMD) which quite frankly isn’t hard to believe. Radeon products have been selling at very low-profit margins and with Navi 2x, the shipment volumes (till now) have been very limited. Most of the GPU revenue for the company comes from its semi-custom division that manufactures the Xbox Series X|S and PS5 consoles. AMD’s combined CPU and GPU revenue (CG) is a bit higher than NVIDIA’s gaming revenue though, coming in at $6,432 million for FY2020 while the latter reported gaming revenue of $5,518. For FY2021, the two are expected to be very close: ~$7-8 million.

GPU Sales Increased 39 Percent in 2020 | TechPowerUp
According to a new research report from the analyst firm Jon Peddie Research, the growth of the PC-based Graphics Processor Units (GPU) market reached 119 million units in Q1'21 and 38.74% year-over-year. Overall, the installed base of GPUs will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 2.87% during 2020-2025 to reach a total of 3,333 million units at the end of the forecast period. Over the next five years, the penetration of discrete GPUs (dGPU) in the PC will grow to reach a level of 26%.

index.php

According to a new research report from the analyst firm Jon Peddie Research, the growth of the PC-based Graphics Processor Units (GPU) market reached 119 million units in Q1’21 and 38.74% year-over-year.
AMD’s overall market share percentage from last quarter decreased by -0.12%, Intel’s market share decreased by -0.5%, and Nvidia’s market share increased 0.62%, as indicated in the following chart.
Overall GPU unit shipments decreased by -0.3% from last quarter, AMD shipments decreased by -1.0%, Intel’s shipments decreased by -1.0%, and Nvidia’s shipments increased 3.9%.

Last edited:
I would love to see DLSS reconstruction tech ported to FP32/16 shaders. Then we could see how much of a speedup the tensor cores really deliver.

With raytracing, Nvidia did allow their older GTX cards to show how "fast" they are compared to RT cores. But that was because of a massive speedup, so there were only laurels to be had.

Arm Is RTX ON (guru3d.com)
At this week's Game Developers Conference (GDC), NVIDIA revealed a pair of new technical demos pairing its GeForce RTX technologies with an Arm-based MediaTek processor to show how advanced graphics can be extended to a broader, more power-efficient set of devices. The demos mark the latest milestone in a journey to bring advanced graphics to Arm-based systems.

The two demos include Wolfenstein: Youngblood with real time ray traced reflections and DLSS on an Arm-based platform for the first time ever. NVIDIA also showed The Bistro demo running with real-time ray tracing on Arm, with RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) and NVIDIA Optix AI-Acceleration Denoiser (NRD) enabled.

The demos are running in real-time on a MediaTek Kompanio 1200 Arm-based platform paired with a GeForce RTX 3060 GPU. The two demos are made possible because NVIDIA has ported several RTX SDKs to work on Arm devices, including:
  1. Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), which uses AI to boost frame rates and generate beautiful, sharp images for games.
  2. RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI), which lets developers add dynamic lighting to their gaming environments.
  3. NVIDIA Optix AI-Acceleration Denoiser (NRD), which uses AI to render high-fidelity images faster.
  4. RTX Memory Utility (RTXMU), which optimizes the way applications use graphics memory.
  1. RTX Global Illumination (RTXGI), which helps recreate the way light bounces around in real-world environments.
The RTXDI, NRD and RTXMU SDKs for Arm with Linux and Chromium are available now. RTXGI and DLSS will be coming soon. RTX has redefined the industry. Now NVIDIA is investing in new platforms where advanced graphics can be deployed so gamers have more choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back