Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

HokutoNoKen

Newcomer
Check out the trailer for Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown! SEGA of America announced today that Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown will launch worldwide as a PlayStation®4 digital exclusive. Remade for a new generation of fighting game fans as part of SEGA’s 60th.

Enjoy :cool:

Check out the trailer for Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown! SEGA of America announced today that Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown will launch worldwide as a PlayStation®4 digital exclusive. Remade for a new generation of fighting game fans as part of SEGA’s 60th.

struggle with against players that 2p spam in this game.

I love the VF games, but after so long in hiatus, we get a remake that isnt that much better looking compared to the original. This looks visually somewhat in the same quality as Tekken 7 if not worse which came much much earlier

VF5 released in 2006, I should not be seeing graphical downgrades on "next-gen" (but actually last-gen) hardware in 2021. At a glance, the hair is a stippled mess, reflections are missing, and the faces are just completely wrong. DOA5's versions of the VF character models were more faithful than this.

There is not a single frame of new gameplay in that trailer over Final Showdown from 2010. My only remaining hope is that something redeeming will be shown in the developer stream two days from now.

Last edited:
I do wish that in VF6 (if we are going to ever see it) they will change the presentation of the game.
Although the fighting mechanics are super deep, the presentation is extremely generic.
The poses, sound effects, dialogues/speeches, character designs have nothing memorable. Even many of the animations appear generic and lack a "punch".
What makes fighting games and martial art movies fascinating are the characters. And none of the characters emit anything unique in VF. Their avatars communicate an excuse to put a generic fighting style in.
They lack personality.

It is beyond me why they insist on the outdated VF2 roots.

Other fighting games give a lot of emphasis on personalities and martial art archetypes. Even the Jeet June Do dude looks like a random blonde guy.

They should give some attention to what Tekken does in terms of overall presentation, because these guys (minus the shit fest with the new supernatural sci fi characters and some generic ones in 7), they really do know how to make characters and fighting styles stand out.

vf5pai_2pv7rgj85.jpg

wasted potential here, I'm sure Dragon Engine could make very good looking fighting game but here probalby just not enough money and time, sega close to konami with this approach

The official site calls it a remaster rather than remake. They redid the character models and environments too with whatever limited budget they had and looks decent enough.

Hopefully this is Sega testing the bed to gather interest for a true sequel. It's coming free on PS plus too. I'll buy the standalone version to support.

Reactions: snc
The official site calls it a remaster rather than remake. They redid the character models and environments too with whatever limited budget they had and looks decent enough.

Hopefully this is Sega testing the bed to gather interest for a true sequel. It's coming free on PS plus too. I'll buy the standalone version to support.
So this is going to get a disk release too?

VF5 released in 2006, I should not be seeing graphical downgrades on "next-gen" (but actually last-gen) hardware in 2021. At a glance, the hair is a stippled mess, reflections are missing, and the faces are just completely wrong. DOA5's versions of the VF character models were more faithful than this.

There is not a single frame of new gameplay in that trailer over Final Showdown from 2010. My only remaining hope is that something redeeming will be shown in the developer stream two days from now.

I bought my Hori stick for VF5 back on the PS3. Sega needs to do better than this. I'm getting Guilty Gear on PS5. Thankfully I still use the same stick.

they playing new vf (stages looks okeish but character models could look defenitly better)

Man I cant wait to try this after so many years in hiatus.
The recent videos show a better look of the game.
Its not MK level of graphics, but its good enough.
The gameplay is top notch.
I got a bit tired with Tekken's juggle fest and moves that feel cheap. VF has always been super balanced.

Found some 4k screens from the community managers at Sega's twitter.

Edit - actually i tried counting. Looks like its 1080p native

E2PqMvuX0AI9EOy

E2P636AWUA4SqEC

Last edited:
Back