Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

I think they know but it's proprietary info.

they don't for instance report iPad sales unit volumes. That's for competitive reasons, though iPad is the best-selling tablet.

Wow, the level of incompetency if Apple truly does not break down P&L for the app store. :D

He has a "feeling" that it might be profitable?

Regards,
SB
True. It's likely they don't want App developers to know total revenue/cost incurred based on Apple's royalty percentage scheme.

I think they know but it's proprietary info.

they don't for instance report iPad sales unit volumes. That's for competitive reasons, though iPad is the best-selling tablet.

The problem here is that this was his testimony under oath in court before the judge. If he does indeed know, then he was lying to the court about not knowing which opens him up to prosecution for perjury (1743. Perjury -- Overview Of 18 U.S.C. §1621 And 1623 Violations | JM | Department of Justice) and potentially charges of obstruction of justice (1721. Protection Of Government Processes -- Obstruction Of Justice -- Scope Of 18 U.S.C. 1503 | JM | Department of Justice) if perjury was committed in an attempt to "influence" or "impede" the court's ability to judge a case.

It's one thing to answer the question truthfully but then decline to give the actual P&L numbers in court, but another thing entire to claim to not know whether or not a division is profitable and to testify that Apple does not break down those figures in their internal P&L if he does know these things.

You would assume that any competent CEO would know these things. One of the reasons they might not know is if they know they are doing something wrong and might go to court, thus they can have plausible deniability if they are asked to testify about something they know they are doing wrong.

However, if they don't know the P&L of their various divisions, WTF are they doing as the CEO?

Regards,
SB

So you're saying he's lying or ignorant and a bad CEO.

Apple shareholders aren't going to ask for his ouster any time soon. That's who he answers to.

If Epic wants to try to show he's lying they should have at it.

So you're saying he's lying or ignorant and a bad CEO.

Apple shareholders aren't going to ask for his ouster any time soon. That's who he answers to.

If Epic wants to try to show he's lying they should have at it.

If the government believes he's lying under oath the government can also prosecute him for perjury if they feel it was egregious and if he doesn't have buddies higher up in government (as Apple did when they had the ruling against them by the FTC overturned by Obama).

Apple v Epic: Tim Cook appears on the stand in Epic legal row (yahoo.com)

There's all kinds of things going on with this testimony that's dodgy as shit for a CEO.

He doesn't know much about the 7-10 billion USD contract with Google for their search engine to be used in iOS? Something he testified to under oath. I mean, according to his testimony in court, he hasn't got a freaking clue what is going on at Apple. And this is the CEO?

Regards,
SB

Yeah go ahead and believe that if you want.

He may not know every line item in the balance sheet but that means he doesn't know what his company is doing?

Ask how many APPL shareholders want to fire him.

The chance that he doesn't know if the app store is profitable is zero. His excuse when challenged about lying would likely be, 'I wasn't sure if we made $20billion or $20billion and 10 cents' and I didn't want to offer incorrect data.

Yeah go ahead and believe that if you want.

He may not know every line item in the balance sheet but that means he doesn't know what his company is doing?

Ask how many APPL shareholders want to fire him.

None? He is working for the good of apple and trying to preserve profits by keeping ios closed. Epic share holders on the other hand,...

Is Epic a public company?

Apparently there's been talk of an IPO. Or maybe they can do a SPAC.

Or maybe Sweeney gets enough of the profits that he doesn't have an incentive to go public at all.

Is Epic a public company?

Apparently there's been talk of an IPO. Or maybe they can do a SPAC.

Or maybe Sweeney gets enough of the profits that he doesn't have an incentive to go public at all.

Epic has share owners as they raised a ton of money by selling shares. Doesn't need to be public company for others to have shares. For example sony has invested into epic. So in essence epic share holders aka. owners would want to take action if tim cook is doing something that could be used by epic to gain advantage.

I believe MS has testified in the Epic Games vs. Apple case?

In any event, they've been funding antitrust efforts targeting Google, Apple, Amazon.

Buck, the top Republican on the House Judiciary antitrust subcommittee, has raised tens of thousands of dollars from companies such as Microsoft, Oracle and Fox Corp. since June 2019, a POLITICO analysis of campaign finance disclosures shows. Buck has pushed for laws and rules that could boost the companies' abilities to compete with the likes of Google and Facebook. His increasingly aggressive stance has also won him praise as a trailblazer among GOP trustbusters, part of a notable shift in his party’s attitudes toward reining in corporate monopolies.

“One reason tech antitrust has attracted so much attention on the Hill is because the victims are not only small and medium-sized enterprises, workers and consumers — but also other large corporations,” said Sandeep Vaheesan, a legal director with anti-monopoly think tank Open Markets Institute. “Some of the victims of these monopolists have real lobbying power, the money to donate to political campaigns and [the ability to] support counter-narratives to challenge the hegemony of the big players in tech.”

Buck has received over $50,000 from corporate rivals of the major tech companies and their lobbyists since the House Judiciary antitrust subcommittee began its bipartisan investigation into the big tech companies in June 2019, according to a POLITICO analysis of the congressman’s filings with the Federal Election Commission.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/24/tech-antitrust-republican-490446

Microsoft routinely donates millions to politicians of both major parties. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did as well.

The chance that he doesn't know if the app store is profitable is zero. His excuse when challenged about lying would likely be, 'I wasn't sure if we made $20billion or $20billion and 10 cents' and I didn't want to offer incorrect data.
He obviously knows, And the judge realizes Hopefully this will sway them to go oh so you think you can blatantly lie to my face, well sorry I deciApple is guilty then.
Though personally I think Apple will win, from what I've read/heard the government usually finds for the defendants in these big corporate cases and it would be a major shock if Apple didnt win
epic7-1440x813.png

Klobuchar along with that oleaginous Marsha Blackburn introduce a bill, the Open App Markets Act. Just to be able to claim it's bipartisan, partner with that slime?

The bipartisan “Open App Markets Act,” introduced by Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), and Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) would ban app stores from forcing developers to use the store’s payment systems. It would also bar companies from punishing developers that offer lower prices on a separate app store or through their own payment systems, along the lines of Apple’s public dispute with Epic Games. Notably, the bill would also make it unlawful for companies like Apple to use non-public data from their stores to build competing products against companies using their service.

“APPLE AND GOOGLE HAVE SQUASHED COMPETITORS AND KEPT CONSUMERS IN THE DARK”
“For years, Apple and Google have squashed competitors and kept consumers in the dark—pocketing hefty windfalls while acting as supposedly benevolent gatekeepers of this multi-billion dollar market,” Blumenthal said in a statement Wednesday. “This bipartisan bill will help break these tech giants’ ironclad grip, open the app economy to new competitors, and give mobile users more control over their own devices.”

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/11/...pp-store-senate-play-bill-epic-games-fortnite

There is ongoing litigation but Amy wants to jump into the spotlight to propose a "remedy" without showing how current app stores have harmed consumers.

There is probably thousands of pages of evidence on record in that case. I wouldn't think taking the time to get through it all, in order to support a well founded ruling, constitutes thumb-twiddling.

Back