Formula 1 - 2021 Season

Wow, Ferrari, wow...

Pit Lane closed and Leclerc will start from the box - if Ferrari can fix the problem.

Nooooo, Leclerc cannot start.

Last edited:
Hamilton started 7th and finished 7th despite 2 people DNFing from ahead, meaning he lost 2 places somewhere. Didn't sadly get to watch most of the race.
Unsurprisingly when things go wrong at Merc they always hit Bottas.

Boring race. Hamilton lost out to Perez, Vettel, Norris due to them overcutting. Perez was leading the race at one point for like 5-10 laps. Bottas unlucky and (IMO unfairly) chopped off by Max at the start when Bottas had his front wing alongside. Race director unbelievably cut away from Vettel leaving the pits side by side with Gasly and ahead of Hamilton not once but twice, the first time to show Stroll clipping an apex (T14?) and the second toshow a pitstop. Vettel came out ahead, but I didn’t see how.

If you want to see how to kiss a barrier, find the replay of Gasly smooching T14? (the same one Stroll [and LeClerc yesterday] got wrong) with just his tires (no rim) on lap 53.

LeClerc supposedly had a driveshaft problem. No specifics in the race besides him saying he felt the problem was his left rear in an interview.

Stroll made his first stint on hards work for him.

IIRC, Ocon jumped Giovinazzi and Kimi jumped Ricciardo (who was lapped by Norris) because overcut.

yeah its not really anyones fault really except that they designed them that way, i cant remember it ever being this severe though.

price to pay for being super quick in pitstops i guess

That's nothing but Wolff being an ass. Yes, F1 drivers are precise, but they never hit the exact same stopping spot except by accident, maybe within couple cm's but that's about it. And none of the other wheelguns had any issues.

That isn't about stopping or not stopping on the "exact same stopping point". This is about whether or not the car stopped outside of the correct range for the impact wrench. In other words, there's a certain distance you can go with the wrench due to the length of the air hose (I'm assuming it's a compressed air wrench as we usually see in motorsports) before you have to angle the wrench to attempt to remove the wingnut.

In this case, he stopped just shy of the maximum operating range for the wrench. It's a mistake by both the driver for stopping too soon, and perhaps the pit crew who maybe should have pushed the car forwards a few inches when the pit crew member noticed that he had to angle the wrench to get at the wingnut.

However, pit crews are trained to immediately start work on their particular section of the car (jack, tires, fuel, etc.) so if the crew was doing what it's supposed to do, the car was already in a position where it couldn't be moved by the time the crew member was yelling out that he would have to angle the wrench.

Just to be sure, I double check to see if they do use compressed air driven impact wrenches...

Ferrari F1 Pit Stop Perfection - YouTube

Yup. And you'll notice that the hoses at the bottom of the screen have far more limited range than the ones at the top of the screen. If the car is outside of the operating range of the impact wrench (which is NOT "an exact stopping spot"), then the only option available is to angle the wrench and hope that it works.

If we had a video recording of Bottas' pit stop we should be able to easily see this. If the car was in the correct range then yeah, Wollf was talking out of his arse.

Regards,
SB

Is there a Lance Stroll interrupts Lance Stroll ?

Would have been nice to have seen more of these highlights during the actual race broadcast, F1....

Obviously not ideal but is it violation to send car back out with only 3 tires changed?
You can't. You need to use 4 tyres from the same set. Also Bottas will ran into another problem which is mixing different compound. Since you need to use 2 different compound then the 3 new tyres will not match the compound stuck on his car which is not allowed.

I think in theory it would be allowed to change all the tyres back to the old ones and send the driver back that way (assuming the wheel didn't get damaged otherwise). But due to the requirement of having to use 2 different compounds (not that it would be possible to use the same soft tyres for the whole race anyway) they'd still need to figure out a way how to change the tyre later. Even if they could there would be no point though due to all the time lost.

Back