Best place to live in USA?

manux

Veteran
What's the best place to live in USA and why? I have no clue, hence I'm asking. Thinking about moving out of California. Too expensive here and no rain. Maybe this place will turn into a desert. It kind of already is that for large parts.

I know it would be easier if I gave some specification but that would be counterproductive. Much better to hear opinions of places without putting some advance criteria on it. Personally I have been looking into everything from "middle of nowhere" to big cities.

It depends what's important to you.

Are you opposed to seasons, like would dealing with an actual winter with snow be a deal killer? If so, avoid anything in the northern parts of the country. If not, there are a lot of Midwestern regions where cost of living is extremely low while still having some tech-focused jobs. I'd say avoid Chicago area as its cost of living is obscene, same with New York.

Climate-wise perhaps somewhere in the region of North Carolina and South Carolina would be most similar to California but with perhaps a bit more of actual seasons for the East Coast. The cost of living should be substantially less than California while still having some great job availability across varied markets.

The key to me would be minimizing cost of living, maximizing salary, minimizing stress, minimizing political stupidity, maximizing enjoyable weather. I'm in Cleveland Ohio, so only have the first 3 maybe 3.5 items. It could be far worse on the last 2 items.

I've passed up job offers in other regions because cost of living tripled or quadruple while salary only doubled. Now and then I still do some house comparisons and it's staggering how a typical average house here ($200-$300k) is listed for $1.2 million or higher out in certain parts of Washington or California. The other reason I passed some up were the attached stress levels of the jobs in question. No desire to be working inside a company with a dog eat dog corporate structure or in extreme crunch areas like actual stock market or game development.

Finland,... ngghh... snow, snow, snow... cold, wet. Nggh... Maybe not for me.

If I end up outside usa it's probably portugal for long term retention.

I believe compared to Finland, Canada would be snow,snow,cold,cold but not wet. Except Vancouver and east coast of course. Decent winter with less slush.

Back