Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-has-been-upgraded-for-ps5-and-weve-tested-it

The Last of Us Part 2 has been upgraded for PS5 - and we've tested it
DF is first with analysis of Naughty Dog's 60fps patch.

The Last of Us Part 2 has finally received its long-awaited PlayStation 5 upgrade, 11 months to the day since Naughty Dog's epic sequel launched on PS4 and Pro. It's a free upgrade takes the form of a 299MB patch - version 1.08 - that automatically updates the PlayStation 4 version of the game, offering PS5 users the chance to play the game at 60 frames per second. We've had the patch for a week now, allowing us to extensively test and re-test the game from start to finish.

It's an interesting release: The Last of Us Part 2 stands as one of the most technically ambitious titles released for the PlayStation 4 and we wondered how well this sort of performance patch would work out. After all, no matter how you feel about the game, it's a stunning technical achievement that flirts with the limits of its original platform - and capping to 30fps was required in order to deliver its beautiful visuals. With this in mind, we were curious to see how it would fare on PS5 with its frame-rate limited removed. Can PS5 really lock to 60fps?

Will finish game second time now for sure, wonder why it took them so long. Maybe they didn't even plan but after Schreier article and bad reception they changed their mind ? My little conspiracy theory :)

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Qv79YtD.gif

Sure, but after the patch, it's certainly the PS5 version or mode of the game. Just like all the XBS-X 120 Hz enhancements to games are basically the XBS-X mode of the game. They aren't experiences that can be had on the previous generation of consoles.

Regards,
SB

I think you're doing XSX a disservice. I wouldn't call their XOS/360 BC games "Xbos Series X version" either. So many of those are 1080p. I've argued in another thread that it shouldn't be the case there either.

I think you're doing XSX a disservice. I wouldn't call their XOS/360 BC games "Xbos Series X" either. So many of those are 1080p. I've argued in another thread that it shouldn't be the case there either.

This isn't a conversation about what is or isn't a native PS5 or XBS-X game.

This is about whether a reader can run that version or mode of a game on the previous generation or not. If the mode/version can run on the previous generation consoles then it's the previous console version of the game. If it cannot run on the previous generation of consoles it's the current generation version or mode of the game.

On XBS systems this is clearly distinguished on packaging, the MS storefront, the game description etc. If it's BC enhanced then the enhancements are only available in the XBS version/mode of the game. There's no potential for confusion about whether or not something will be available on the previous generation of consoles. The game code itself is often the exact same but you can only run the XBS enhancements to the game on the XBS systems.

Hence, just saying the 60 FPS version of a previous generation's 30 FPS version of the game (BC with no qualifiers) is doing the reader a disservice. They cannot run that version on the previous generation of consoles no matter how hard they try or how hard they might wish they could.

In short when I talk about what version or mode a game is, it's purely based on what console it is available to run on. If it's not available to run on X platform then it isn't that version or mode of the game. I'm not talking about whether a game is native to that platform or not.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
No amount of word wang is going to convince me that it's anything other than what it is; a PS4 game.

That's all I've got to say about it.

No amount of word wang is going to convince me that it's anything other than what it is; a PS4 game.

That's all I've got to say about it.

No word "wang"ing here. Just a simple definition.

Does it run on the previous generation console or not? If it does it's that console generation's version/mode of a game. If it does not, then it isn't.

Obviously other people have their own definitions. But, at least for me, I feel it's extremely disingenuous to claim that a version or mode of a game belongs to the previous generation if it won't even run on that generation of machines.

Regards,
SB

Gameception. A film by Chris Nolan, in cinemas 2023.

Karamazov: "I am going to plant this tiny seed in pjbliverpool's mind and make him believe that he came up with 'PS4 enhanced BC game running on PS5 compared to the PC port of the PS4 version' all by himself."

Dictator: "How about 'PS5 version vs. PC port' instead?"

Skall: "PC bias much?"

Dictator: "Huh?"

Karamazov: "Keep it together! No, we are going to use 'the PS5 version' to create disruption on the forum so planting the seed will be easier."

B3D: "For what?"

Karamazov: "You got something better to do?"

B3D: "No, not really."

Karamazov: "We need a reprieve. Already we have generated a million hours of discussion off a few hundred words in some articles, videos, and PowerPoint slides which are severely lacking in detail. It's like building a complex language with only a three-character alphabet."

B3D: "Well, technically computers get by fine with just two."

Karamazov: "STFU! Everybody put your hands in... 1... 2... 3... Let's go!!!!"

Last edited:
Imagine if he had said instead: "The Xbox Series X version of Fallout 4 runs at 1080p and 60fps". From some perspective it's not technically wrong and bonus, you get a short sentence. But it's obviously a very misleading statement and it shouldn't be written in such an article that will be read by tons of people.
Most FPS-boosted game are quite literally Xbox One version untouched, FPS Boost is a system level feature. Whereas if the game is patched to know that it’s running on a Series console (XboxOneGen9Aware), it’s a consensus that it can be called the Series X|S version, even if the improvements are small.

Reactions: Jay
I want to contribute a bit on my thought about that Days Gone video. When I watched the video, because of the title, I think it was PC vs PS5 (not BC) comparison, but I kinda have my doubts because I'm informed about this type of thing. But as the video played, I actually think that Sony probably port Days Gone to PS5 since Alex always mention vs PS5 multiple times without mentioning BC... it is only much later in the video he mention something about it being a BC title.

What I'm saying is that I don't really mind about the video title, but I hope next time it would be much better if it can be mentioned early whether a game is BC or not just to avoid the confusion.

For me from reading whats written here about days gone it sounds like a bit of a big nothing-burger, prolly just a mispeak/mistype if anything.

I admit that I thought referring to Days Gone as the "PS5 version" was a bit misleading, especially when stating that the 'texture setting of the PS5 version is lower than the lowest setting on PC.' So, I do get the confusion caused.

That said, Last of Us 2 patch today! Woot! Unfortunately the same 1440p resolution, but I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back