Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played through Mass Effect Series 3x times. I recall everything. I'm surprised they managed to get to the end game so quickly and measured all 3 titles.

ANyway on what you see there, it's literally not rendering anything. It's probably a poor time for the high level API to setup a new scene or something and it just has a bigger problem with moving larger buffers around to do it. Rendering workload problems don't dip all the way down and come back all the way smooth. Workload problems hover around the same area when the limit is hit. I'm fairly positive what you're looking at is a memory management problem.
It is near the end of the feros mission, not the end of the first game ;), just came through this section again yesterday. I would say if you just play through the main missions you can get there in about 5 hours.
But yeah the black screen might be the issue here. But those graphs are also not always at the correct position lined up with the video.

But those graphs are also not always at the correct position lined up with the video.

Can you give me a timestamp where the graph doesn't align with the video?

measuring the frame rate of a black screen is, imo, as per my profession: I would have tossed this result from my findings.

The screen doesn't go to black, it is just somewhat dark. All the footage analysed for frame rate testing was done with film grain on, so analysis of a scene like that is still very accurate. During that scene there was an explosion and quite a bit of smoke which is probably what caused the frame rate to drop.

Can you give me a timestamp where the graph doesn't align with the video?

The screen doesn't go to black, it is just somewhat dark. All the footage analysed for frame rate testing was done with film grain on, so analysis of a scene like that is still very accurate. During that scene there was an explosion and quite a bit of smoke which is probably what caused the frame rate to drop.
Yea, you're right, I shouldn't have been using my phone to go through that part, it's just a dark smokey area. I didn't have my brightness up enough.

Reactions: snc
Subnautica: Below Zero

• PC version uses a RTX 3080
  • Resolutions are 1872p on PS5, 900p on Series S and 2160p on Series X. FPS mode activates dynamic resolution, but I have not noticed that the resolution drops at the points checked.
  • Less vegetation density on PS5.
  • Same quality of shadows and textures on all platforms.
  • Dynamic shadows cast by tools (such as the flashlight) are only present on PC.
  • Same drawing distance in all console versions. Slightly higher on PC.
  • The framerate suffers drops in the changes of zones and in places with more graphic load. These drops are more present in the PS5 version.
  • FPS mode reduces antialiasing and ambient occlusion.

Given XSX is 2160p I'm very surprised that the XSS is 900p. Wonder what that's about.

Yeah, that's a bit odd, given what ME:L can achieve on XSS, I would have thought S:BZ could do 1080p. The original Subnautica last-gen mid-gens 4Pro and OneX versions run at 1440p.

Yeah, that's a bit odd, given what ME:L can achieve on XSS, I would have thought S:BZ could do 1080p. The last-gen mid-gens 4Pro and OneX versions run at 1440p.
Did think that maybe XS may be running in BC which would explain it, but then you said 1X is 1440p. So not that simple.

Did think that maybe XS may be running in BC which would explain it, but then you said 1X is 1440p. So not that simple.

Oh, I should clarify that was for the original Subnautica versions for 4Pro/OneX that runs at 1440p. Trying to find more info on S:BZ resolutions for last-gen but finding the actual details is hard. Still looking...

Oh, I should clarify that was for the original Subnautica versions for 4Pro/OneX that runs at 1440p. Trying to find more info on S:BZ resolutions for last-gen but finding the actual details is hard. Still looking...
Yea, did get ya.
If 1X was 2160p then XS running in BC would make sense to me I meant.
But doesn't make much sense to up resolution for XSX but not XSS.

Just a strange outlier.

The loading times make no sense.

I agree, all around they should be faster than what's shown with PS5: 41.13, XSX: 46.73, and XSS: 46.83.

upload_2021-5-18_16-31-38.png

For reference, the original Subnautica shows PS4: 1:28.66, PS5: 18.53, and Nintendo Switch: 38.86.upload_2021-5-18_16-29-46.png

Screenshot taken from video at the 37 second mark:

Reactions: Jay
There are numerous games that take longer to load on Series X (don't know about PS5). But they're mostly large and detailed games (RDR2 takes a minute and a half).
The only game I could find that might be similar from an asset perspective that takes longer than Subnautica: Below Zero to load is Mirror's Edge: Catalyst at 54 seconds.

I agree, all around they should be faster than what's shown with PS5: 41.13, XSX: 46.73, and XSS: 46.83.

View attachment 5483

For reference, the original Subnautica shows PS4: 1:28.66, PS5: 18.53, and Nintendo Switch: 38.86.View attachment 5482

Screenshot taken from video at the 37 second mark:
Well, I would guess, small team and loading has no priority.
Just think a few weeks back when the loading problem in GTA was discovered. Just because someone used a filereader once but for every config value that was requested the file was read again and again. So a 5-10mb file (even much smaller files) can get a problem quite fast just because of "to much attention". The right way would have been parse the config once and keep the values in memory. But as the game came from the ps360 era, this just might have been not made because of memory size constraints.
...man this game is really old and still selling ...

Beware of this youtuber (ElAnalistaDeBits). He sometimes states innacuracies or errors. This is no VGTech, NXGamer of DF seal of quality.

Since everyone is human, hopefully they can improve over time. I view theirs more as an early preview for those curious about the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back