Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

This is literally the opposite of what Todd Howard said in 2018. Quoted from the interview Todd Howard gave Eurogamer, who asked him what he meant when he said in the reveal the Starfield was a "nextgen game":

Just some random thoughts. I take him at his word that the game is being developed for current generation hardware (next gen when that interview was given). That's not that surprising or that difficult if you know the both consoles are still going to be using mostly PC comparable hardware with the only major differences being the I/O subsystem (I include compression in this) and support for hardware accelerated positional sound.

So, considering when the titles entered development, it's quite likely it's focused on this generation's hardware profile.

Whether it is this generation exclusive or not comes down to the following question then.

Is it worth the cost to port it to previous generation consoles?
  • It's a given that with enough effort it's possible. Just look at some of the PS4/XBO gen Bethesda titles that have been ported to NSW.
  • With MS now being in charge, Game Pass and PC is important and MS 1st party games on PC recently have focused on scalability both upwards and downwards (Gears 5, Forza Horizons, Flight Simulator, etc.).
So, I fully expect this to be a Bethesda engine that is entirely targeting current generation consoles. I do not count out the possibility that either at launch or at some later point, these titles could be made to run on XBO. Personally, I wouldn't give it a high probability, but there's a small but decent probability that it could happen, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Thanks - much appreciated!

Reddit is going crazy about it being exclusive or not. I don’t get it, shouldn’t we be concerned if its good first?
It would definitely be nice if it was good. Unless Bethesda are doing something very different game-design-wise I'll almost certainly like Starfield. The fundamental openworld lite-RPG mechanics we see in Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are right in my wheel house. :yes:

Thanks - much appreciated!

It would definitely be nice if it was good. Unless Bethesda are doing something very different game-design-wise I'll almost certainly like Starfield. The fundamental openworld lite-RPG mechanics we see in Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are right in my wheel house. :yes:

same here! really looking forward to this game. There are rumours that msft will have special show just for starfiled

same here! really looking forward to this game. There are rumours that msft will have special show just for starfiled
They should, it's a new IP and they'll have to explain what this game is all about. But I'm extending Elder Fallout in space. My only slight hesitation is whether they compromise on the open world. When you're in one place, you spend all your time in that place. I assume - but could be wrong - that at least part of the appeal of space is different planets and the more environs you have you less time you get to spend on detailing each one.

But we'll see. I trust Todd Howard's team. :yes:

So are we expecting this to be Bethesda's take on Mass Effect, or something a little less cartoony?

Considering it's a new Bethesda IP (like TES) as opposed to an acquired IP (like Fallout), I'm expecting something with a similar storytelling tone (serious) as TES and not something like the Fallout games which inherited it's quirky humor from the established IP.

I don't think IPs from other developers have any bearing or relevance to what Bethesda will do with Starfield.

There's a huge opportunity here for an epic space opera with complex intergalactic politics.

Regards,
SB

Now that's it is confirmed exclusive, are any Playstation owners considering buying an Xbox or at least getting Game Pass to play it?

Tommy McClain

The supposed engine footage looked decent but the face on the astronaut looked terrible.

I'm pretty sure the thread title is
Starfield [XBSX|S, PC] :cool:
Where is the gameplay footage?

from googling I can only see stuff like, which looks pre alpha
jPBt1NR.jpg

Not that Im into sci-fi games (even though I love sci-fi books films) its like that horizon zero dawn game with robo dinosaurs, yawn, I would be more interested with real dinosaurs

I'm pretty sure the thread title is
Starfield [XBSX|S, PC] :cool:
Where is the gameplay footage?

from googling I can only see stuff like, which looks pre alpha

There is none. We know next to nothing about it other than it's a single player experience. The screenshots are leaks from 2018 development.

Sounds like Privateer. Wonder if you can just explore the galaxy & go find uninhabited earth-like planets? Does No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous work like that?

Tommy McClain

Back