Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I'm not impressed by CP, even the PC version. The game was sold as the new Crysis (for the PC version at least) but we are far from that honestly.

I think PC gamers will have to wait to get their new graphic benchmark, but it's clearly not with CP imo.

So far, i'm not impressed by any new gen game anyway, even though some of them look really good like the new R&C.

Here's a promotional screenshot of their previous game :

6637-screenshot-4933.jpg

The CGI vibe is closer on PS5 for sure, but i still think the visual gap between PS3/PS4 was more impressive.

I disagree and use non bullshot is a much better comparison.

PS3:

IGC2d9.png

E1Qk-zhXIAIafrz

Ratchet_and_Clank-Nexus-2013-08-19-Game-01.PNG

IXP92x.png

R&C PS4 non promotional screenshot
DahSWaL.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank%E2%84%A2_20160702104653.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank%E2%84%A2_20160619105624.jpg

1614660083_639840_1614660455_sumario_grande.jpg

b3ee8376a7172206146b79b22a81b60b.jpg

JkIuCvy.jpg

IXPkFQ.png

R&C Rift Apart non promotional screenshot

IG6yrP.png

IG6hio.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-08bzj1p.png

ratchetclank_riftaparrxjl5.png

CYmFTZv.jpg

ratchetclank_riftaparsuj35.jpg

51149821629_0698480d72_k.jpg

IXPC0a.png

Last edited:
Something Ratchet & Clank games does really well that doesn't get enough attention is the animation. It is, and always has been, sublime. It often gets overshadowed by the visuals.

It is technically quite good, but I don’t know. It often felt like especially the character animation didn’t progress much beyond the level that Jak & Daxter already reached, and the latter game seems to me to have been much more creative with it. And then the Uncharted games took it to a completely different level with all the contextual animation blending. I don’t remember ever seeing anything remotely like that in Ratchet & Clank ...

Rift Apart though certainly seems to have some pretty big improvements especially in the non-interactive parts. But in the gameplay parts, I haven’t spotted much progress. Maybe I need to look again.

I disagree and use non bullshot is a much better comparison.

I think we should use good quality screenshots. Here's one of the Pro version :

33157883942_4b37c5ed1c_o.png

Sure the game looks better on PS5 : better lighting, reflections, shaders.

But the difference is not as big as some people say to me.

I would even say that the main difference is the density displayed on screen : much more geometry.

That is why the difference is even less noticeable in smaller areas, when the game can't show its draw distance packed with a lot of objects.

Anyway, the game looks good enough to me, so i'm perfectly fine with those graphics. They only need to fix the water, because it looks really average...

I think we should use good quality screenshots. Here's one of the Pro version :

Sure the game looks better on PS5 : better lighting, reflections, shaders.

But the difference is not as big as some people say to me.

I would even say that the main difference is the density displayed on screen : much more geometry.

That is why the difference is even less noticeable in smaller areas, when the game can't show its draw distance packed with a lot of objects.

Anyway, the game looks good enough to me, so i'm perfectly fine with those graphics. They only need to fix the water, because it looks really average...

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-08bzj1p.png

IG6hio.png

ratchetclank_riftaparp6kx3.jpg

ratchetclank_riftapar94jqw.jpg

R&C PS4 with direct feed screenshot from PS4, for PS5 this comes from shitty youtube video and different demo some comes from last year gamescom and Sony June 2020 conference. The difference comes from geometry, texture quality, shading, lighting very flat on PS4, RT reflection on PS5, better physics, much better particle, scene complexity and number of NPC on screen and better vegetation PS5.

A generational leap.

R&C PS4
33157883942_4b37c5ed1c_o.png

33185317051_f9f4637213_o.png

yHwKc63Y-CSV5-SL6g3G-IDRNnmfV16fo2ZsF_s8XGM.png

Rve14dM.jpg

oOXRlHK.png

ratchet_clank_2016042zvsgl.jpg

The day people will be able to take screenshot from the final version of Ratchet Rift Apart. The difference will look crazy.

EDIT: Remove I was thinking it is a comparison with PS4.

official PS4 gameplay from Insomniac

Last edited:
The day people will be able to take screenshot from the final version of Ratchet Rift Apart. The difference will look crazy.

Indeed my comparison is a bit unfair. However, the physics got a good boost (i didn't see these gifs before).

It's because the previous gen was more CPU bound i guess.

Obviously, everything is improved in the PS5 version, but i would say the main difference is about geometry density and physics.

A last comparison, because it's getting redundant :

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-State-of-Play-PS5-mkv-snapshot-09-29-2021-05-01-02-43-17.jpg

1600105860-ratchet-clank-tm-20200914182916-resultat.jpg

But again, this comparison is not completely fair : finished game against a demo (and the PS5 screenshot is more compressed).

It is technically quite good, but I don’t know. It often felt like especially the character animation didn’t progress much beyond the level that Jak & Daxter already reached, and the latter game seems to me to have been much more creative with it.
Watch the enemies. Have a replay of the PS4 game and look at the animation on the enemies and how they reactive to Ratchet and the different weapons hitting different places. Ratchet moves so fast I can barely perceive his individual animations but the game is utterly filled with lots of incidental animations that you kind of take for granted or may not see because there are 50,000 bolts exploding onscreen. :yes:

I notices something interesting in the dynamic reflections during a scene of the preview gameplay press footage.

R&CReflections.jpg

The reflections of the scenery in the glass dome of the vilain's ship here, they have sawtooth edges as one would expect of a lower resolution and non-anti-aliased cubemap. Yet they are fully dynamic. Maybe they are rendering a dynamic cubemap (ala racing games) of distant level geometry and relying on that for very long rays instead of brute force RT for everything. I'll keep an eye for other signs of that in further footage...

I notices something interesting in the dynamic reflections during a scene of the preview gameplay press footage.
The reflections of the scenery in the glass dome of the vilain's ship here, they have sawtooth edges as one would expect of a lower resolution and non-anti-aliased cubemap. Yet they are fully dynamic. Maybe they are rendering a dynamic cubemap (ala racing games) of distant level geometry and relying on that for very long rays instead of brute force RT for everything. I'll keep an eye for other signs of that in further footage...
I am pretty sure many will do whole articles only focused on how bad the RT is implemented in this game compared to the true RT implementations running on modest 3090 GPUs (at 1080p 30fps). The title of those articles: "Ratchet and its fake RT"-something.

they might use a mix of RT and cubemaps, last gen it was pretty common to use a mix of SSR and cubemaps too.

yeah, but those are dynamic cubemaps, which are pretty rare actually. Mostly only present in racing games and some of the more urban open world games.

yeah, but those are dynamic cubemaps, which are pretty rare actually. Mostly only present in racing games and some of the more urban open world games.
It's present in RDR2 also. I noticed it while looking at the window of a shop in the city, i saw a pixelated carriage passing

Thats crazy attention to detail! If the cannisters also collided with each other it would hav ebeen perfect.
But they react perfectly with the ground and I like how they are gradually losing their glow

I am pretty sure many will do whole articles only focused on how bad the RT is implemented in this game compared to the true RT implementations running on modest 3090 GPUs (at 1080p 30fps). The title of those articles: "Ratchet and its fake RT"-something.

This type of stuff usually happens with most PlayStation 1st-party games that are graphically impressive. Truth be told, the downplaying is usually a good sign Sony teams are doing something right. This type of stuff happens to certain Xbox games as well. Between this thread and the Unreal 5 Engine thread, it's quite embarrassing seeing all the fanboy nonsense and downplaying that's going on.

Back