Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
The loading/unloading is pretty cool. Makes for a slow RAM buffer. However, the details being shown are fairly simple to render. While the PS5 may be able to transfer a lot of data to VRAM, the GPU is still going to be the limit.

they said in the last gameplay video they have big open levels too, we should stop thinking open means less now with the new tech i think, since they can load almost just what's in the player's view, open worlds are going to get a hell lot more detailed than before.

I think it's more than that. When you restrict where the player can go, you open up the option of background vistas and objects that look incredibly dense and give the impression of an incredibly dense world, but that essentially aren't really there, they're just a background prop. There's nothing wrong with that and it's used to stunning effect here, but I do think it's a factor towards what has allowed them to achieve this look.

I think it's more than that. When you restrict where the player can go, you open up the option of background vistas and objects that look incredibly dense and give the impression of an incredibly dense world, but that essentially aren't really there, they're just a background prop. There's nothing wrong with that and it's used to stunning effect here, but I do think it's a factor towards what has allowed them to achieve this look.

IG6yrP.png

In this image most of the part showed you can go and play there. The big robot is on the background on the right. The biggest difference between Spiderman Miles Morales, the game design and technology is not constrained by cross gen limitation.

Last edited:
My realistic interpretarion of the dev's comment about "unloading" assets behind the camera is:
Actual streaming engines don't exactly "unload" stuff. By that, I mean, they don't wipe data out of memory. They tag it as replaceable and it gets substituted by new data when it is needed. Most engines probably have multiple priority levels of how needed and uneeded each asset is so it can prioritize better.

So my guess is, in this game, the SSD is reliable enough that they can knock assets out of the view frustrum a couple levels down in their priority level, and that means that in some extreme cases where there is an absurd amount of asset variety in view at a time, some of that stuff ends up getting replaced, but that is probably not that common, and does not happen to ALL data out of view at a time.

But condidering their portals, and how you can see parts of multiple wildly different levels simultaneously in this game, a View-Frustrum aware streaming system makes much more sense. Say, for when a player aproaches a portal, it prioritizes streaming in the assets that are directly visible from that portal's opening, and delay the stuff behind (that would only be visible after the player character GOES THROUGH the portal)

Horizon PS5 will most likely be a 30fps game.
IMO, the best thing that has happened this gen is that devs are not chasing for native 4K. Upscaling has come a long way and in some titles it can really provide crisp final visuals. We are even living in a world where Returnal devs intentionally chose 1080p over 1440p "because it looked better" for the grimey and unsettling artstyle of the game. Lower resolution was the "artistic choice".

As for Horizon 2, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Each game is made differently by different people.

IG6yrP.png

In this image most of the part showed you can go and play there. The big robot is on the background on the right. The biggest difference between Spiderman Miles Morales, the game design and technology is not constrained by cross gen limitation.

And just in that image, its nor suprassing CP2077 pc in my opinion. I think forbidden west will do better impressions across the board then rift apart does.

IG6yrP.png

I think what most people are point but not quite able to put into words in the on rails section shown is that, even though that scene takes place in the same level as you're showing in this screenshot, the fact that it's on rails has some advantages because it is constrained. For example, if you place the camera/gameplay on a rail, with a fairly fixed speed, you know exactly what parts you need to load in and when. In the gameplay area in your screenshot, you can move in any direction at variable speed. I'm not saying they need to constrain the game to an on rails section for technical reasons, but it would certainly simplify the IO to know what assets and at what LOD you need them and when, and to be able to discard what you know you will no longer need. I doubt you could even turn the camera around during that section. Again, for gameplay reasons you wouldn't want to.

How would they create that much game data in the first place.
Hold my beer. Also, size is not always of quality.

Last edited:
The PS Access guys said that when you turn enemies into pixels (voxels?) with the Pixelator, you can see that each little cube is perfectly ray traced, and you can go on photo mode to see that and play around with that. I can't deal.

Also they talked about the water effects being super advanced, but from the trailer it didn't look like the water was all that, so maybe they updated it since.

(desperately trying to ge the thread back on track)

Last edited:
The Push Square guys said that when you turn enemies into pixels (voxels?) with the Pixelator, you can see that each little cube is perfectly ray traced, and you can go on photo mode to see that and play around with that. I can't deal.

Also they talked about the water effects being super advanced, but from the trailer it didn't look like the water was all that, so maybe they updated it since.

(desperately trying to ge the thread back on track)

This is great, did not see something about the water. This would be good.

And they said it is the the longer R&C.

And I remember what they said about water technology. If yo shoot water at different point of the water but not too far from each other ripple react well when it meets another ripple.

I'd ve disapointed if they had anything but beautiful water, since it's been a pet-feature of insomniac since forever.

And just in that image, its nor suprassing CP2077 pc in my opinion. I think forbidden west will do better impressions across the board then rift apart does.

I'm not impressed by CP, even the PC version. The game was sold as the new Crysis (for the PC version at least) but we are far from that honestly.

I think PC gamers will have to wait to get their new graphic benchmark, but it's clearly not with CP imo.

So far, i'm not impressed by any new gen game anyway, even though some of them look really good like the new R&C.

Here's a promotional screenshot of their previous game :

6637-screenshot-4933.jpg

Current version :

E1Mbja0WYAs5l_C

The CGI vibe is closer on PS5 for sure, but i still think the visual gap between PS3/PS4 was more impressive.

Back