Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post launch 2021] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT needs plenty of memory. It's I think the main reason it's not on some XSS games.
Out of the 2 you used as an example, that one wasn't correct. It happens to be the one that doesn't have a fall back either.

Anyway it depends what RTRT your talking about, it covers many things with very different implications and demands on hardware.

RT needs plenty of memory. It's I think the main reason it's not on some XSS games.
I would argue because they don't have time to optimize it for Series S given all the cross platform work they already have to do.

As you can see, it can be done on Metro. I think it really comes down to a matter of budget and time.
If Metro pulls off RT on Series S 1080p@60 locked, that's a huge win considering most people were looking at Series S as being a 720p machine.

I would argue because they don't have time to optimize it for Series S given all the cross platform work they already have to do.

As you can see, it can be done on Metro. I think it really comes down to a matter of budget and time.
If Metro pulls off RT on Series S 1080p@60 locked, that's a huge win considering most people were looking at Series S as being a 720p machine.
Does it?

Yup. That's the marketing target so far. We need to wait until June 18th I think to see if they deliver here. Granted I think upscaling is likely in effect, but I really don't know/care as it's final output will be the major determination here.

Reactions: Jay
Yup. That's the marketing target so far. We need to wait until June 18th I think to see if they deliver here. Granted I think upscaling is likely in effect, but I really don't know/care as it's final output will be the major determination here.
My bad. I thought it wouldn't be the case the way they had worded it last time I read one of their PR.

Well, it works on a RTX 2060 and with Metro at 1080p. So 6GB seems to be enough and with the ssd and less buffering, it should be enough. Maybe not 1080p for the RT, but lower res RT shouldn't be that relevant for lighting calculation with a good denoiser. It doesn't need to be that correct.

Maybe I Lost something looking at your link, but It doesn't seem to me that anywhere in the video they declare that Serie S make use of RT? They mostly talk about Serie X, and , when they nominate the S, they only say that It will have 1080*60, improved controller latency and 3d sound ?
https://www.metrothegame.com/news/t...tails-on-our-ambitious-gen-9-console-upgrades
We’re targeting 1080p on Xbox Series S, but the other benefits above will apply, including 60 FPS and full Ray Traced lighting throughout.
It's also in the chart that it contains everything.

Maybe I Lost something looking at your link, but It doesn't seem to me that anywhere in the video they declare that Serie S make use of RT? They mostly talk about Serie X, and , when they nominate the S, they only say that It will have 1080*60, improved controller latency and 3d sound ?

From Metro's own website, Series S will have RT. And more than likely the end result will be 1080p/60fps with RT.

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/t...ails-on-our-ambitious-gen-9-console-upgrades/
We’re targeting 1080p on Xbox Series S, but the other benefits above will apply, including 60 FPS and full Ray Traced lighting throughout.
NextGen-PCEnhanced-EN-Website.png

Edit: Beaten by Jay.

Yeah there is no non RT fallback in the enhanced edition. Therefore by definition the XSS has to support it as its getting the update, and there is no off solution.

@Parrish If you're interested this is worth a watch, as it also explains the benefits of the approach, throughout the development process also.

Last edited:
Would it be too early to think about mid gen updated consoles?

At the moment it seems that AMD tech schedules and both TSMC capacity and node availability is keeping both MS and Sony at similar performance levels and neither can get ahead. Plus the chip availability is an issue when everybody and their pets are using TSMC.

Would it make sense for either MS or Sony to join forces with Intel for example? Intel is getting smaller nodes working finally, and is planning to have thr 20A process ready in 2024 and the 3nm process ready in 2023. Also, early tests show that the Alder Lake will be a very good gaming CPU and the new ARC GPU's will have full DX12U compatibility with AI up-sampling technology similar to Nvidia's DLSS. Good stuff. Going Intel would be risky, yes, but could also have better 3nm or sub-3nm process node availability than TSMC which could lead to a big performance advantage.

At the moment it seems that AMD tech schedules and both TSMC capacity and node availability is keeping both MS and Sony at similar performance levels and neither can get ahead. Plus the chip availability is an issue when everybody and their pets are using TSMC.

Would it make sense for either MS or Sony to join forces with Intel for example? Intel is getting smaller nodes working finally, and is planning to have thr 20A process ready in 2024 and the 3nm process ready in 2023. Also, early tests show that the Alder Lake will be a very good gaming CPU and the new ARC GPU's will have full DX12U compatibility with AI up-sampling technology similar to Nvidia's DLSS. Good stuff. Going Intel would be risky, yes, but could also have better 3nm or sub-3nm process node availability than TSMC which could lead to a big performance advantage.
Intel's 20Å is what they used to call 5nn, though. And with 3nm I assume you mean Intel 3 which used to be called 7nm+

2023 600$ jump bigger than from ps4 to ps4pro ;d
https://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-34585/nouvelle-playstation-5-pro-en-2023-a-plus-de-600-dollars.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back