Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Paraphrasing @3dilettante in a slightly different way: the current PS5 "limits" (dynamic clocks and smartshift) are 100% based on number of instructions, not power consumption. A different node won't change that max number of instructions.
Just raw number of instructions? Given instructions are not all created equal, this sounds like a very weird way to limit power consumption to me.

Just raw number of instructions? Given instructions are not all created equal, this sounds like a very weird way to limit power consumption to me.

As some explain it here, one wonders why there is even downclocking implemented att all, not really worth the hassle since well, it basically doesnt even seem to exist.

Isn't that... expensive?
What do you mean?
It is x times more powerful than than the audio solution in PS4, not than the whole PS4. Which is not really that hard to achieve. Sound wasn't such a priority with PS4. Xbox one had a dedicated soundchip, bust most of that was to filter out sound from the kinect mic. And the other part is used for 3D audio stuff (dolby etc). But still most stuff was/is done by the CPU as it is much easier for developers to use it there and it is not very expensive for the cpu.

What do you mean?
It is x times more powerful than than the audio solution in PS4, not than the whole PS4. Which is not really that hard to achieve. Sound wasn't such a priority with PS4. Xbox one had a dedicated soundchip, bust most of that was to filter out sound from the kinect mic. And the other part is used for 3D audio stuff (dolby etc). But still most stuff was/is done by the CPU as it is much easier for developers to use it there and it is not very expensive for the cpu.
OH! Read that wrong :LOL:

What do you mean?
There is no silicon dedicated to any meaningful audio (effects, revert, 3D etc) on PS4. Only to decompress stuff. They are most likely talking about the CPU.

There is no silicon dedicated to any meaningful audio (effects, revert, 3D etc) on PS4. Only to decompress stuff. They are most likely talking about the CPU.
Well the PS4 has at least some dedicated DSPs for audio acceleration. So some things could be made in hardware. But as already stated, most stuff is done with really little cpu afford.

Well the PS4 has at least some dedicated DSPs for audio acceleration. So some things could be made in hardware. But as already stated, most stuff is done with really little cpu afford.

The DSP wasn't use for advanced audio effect and were very simple, the fuctionnality was to decompress hudreds of audio streams. All details are in this presentation.

http://de.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/mm-4085-laurentbetbeder

https://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/keynote-dominic-mallinson

The PS4 really wasn't that great at Audio compared to the PS3, and the CPU was the weakest link so anything that needed to be done there last gen was too much already :D. You could see it also in the PSVR needing additional hardware to support positional audio better. So yeah, Tempest steps in and makes sure Audio is covered and the CPU and GPU are free to focus on other stuff.

I wonder if some devs will manage to hijack this PA5 audio hardware [which Cerny described as CELL SPU-like in their architecture] and use it for general game processing.

Santa Monica devs did just that with God of War 2 on PS2.

I wonder if some devs will manage to hijack this PA5 audio hardware [which Cerny described as CELL SPU-like in their architecture] and use it for general game processing.

Santa Monica devs did just that with God of War 2 on PS2.
don't think so, its powerful audio hardware but not compute beast ;)

25 titles in development for the PS5

According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. “There’s an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions,” Hulst says. “Big, small, different genres.” And in many of those cases, Sony’s shared services became a lifeline for studios navigating lockdown.

Read more: https://www.wired.com/story/playstation-5-six-months-later/

According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP.
I like not revealing new IP years in advance. Because when you do, you are then under pressure to keep providing udates and by the time it arrives it feels old. It's feel old because you've been showing it for years and years.

I like not revealing new IP years in advance. Because when you do, you are then under pressure to keep providing udates and by the time it arrives it feels old. It's feel old because you've been showing it for years and years.

I don't think they will show games years in advance. I think they want people to know they are working on something.

Back