All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

The fact that no action was be seen to be taken is surely going to make any further witnesses reluctant to disclose documents. If documents are supposed to be sealed, are released anyway and the court seemingly doesn't care, what's the motivation to disclose in confidence? If the court so orders it then you have too legally, but you're surely going to hold up that process while you seek assurances.
I agree, though prolly the punishment is
a fine (not jailtime) which is bound to be a huge deterrent to the richest company in the world ... not.

The demand is too high, Sony think, they won't be able to catch up with it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...playstation-5-supply-to-extend-into-next-year

Sony Group Corp. warned a group of analysts the PlayStation 5 will remain in short supply through 2022, suggesting the company will be constrained in its ability to boost sales targets for its latest games console.

“I don’t think demand is calming down this year and even if we secure a lot more devices and produce many more units of the PlayStation 5 next year, our supply wouldn’t be able to catch up with demand,” Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said at the briefing, according to several people who attended and asked not to be named as it wasn’t public.

I wonder how many they're able to manufacture compared to PS4 over the same period.

Have they not currently sold more PS5 than PS4 if you align the launches? I seem to remember seeing/reading that

Yup. And although there aren't enough PS5's to go around, there weren't enough PS4s either. It's quite impressive that both Sony and Microsoft, midst-pandemic and global silicon shortage, have kept supplies of both consoles pretty well supplied. Sure, not enough, but there were never going to be enough although Series S has not been in stock everything in the UK for over a month.

Yup. And although there aren't enough PS5's to go around, there weren't enough PS4s either. It's quite impressive that both Sony and Microsoft, midst-pandemic and global silicon shortage, have kept supplies of both consoles pretty well supplied. Sure, not enough, but there were never going to be enough although Series S has not been in stock everything in the UK for over a month.

Interesting, just had a look and yeah, supply is low enough for the Series S in the US that it's selling for 420-540 USD on Amazon.

Also interestingly, the cheapest Xbox Series S sold on Amazon's US storefront? The EU version.

Amazon.com: Xbox Series S - 512GB SSD Console with Wireless Controller, Minecraft Full Game - EU Console with US Adapter Cable: Video Games

423.20 USD at the time I linked it.

I'm guessing there aren't any stock problems or it isn't nearly as bad in Europe as in the US if they are selling the EU version of the XBS-S in the US at a much cheaper price than the NA version of the XBS-S. :p

Oh and that includes the added cost of an adapter cable so that you can use it in the US. :D

Interesting thing to note about all of this... Most of the XBS-S listings are at a higher price (500+ USD) point than the MSRP for the XBS-X or PS5 (499 USD). :p

Regards,
SB

Resident Evil: Village has comfortably taken No.1 spot in this week's UK boxed charts, according to GfK Entertainment.

The horror game is the second biggest boxed launch of the year behind Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. 49% of its sales were on PS5, 31% on PS4 and 20% on Xbox.

I do wonder how many XB gamers are simply waiting for full-priced retail games like Resident Evil: Village to show up on GamePass. If developers are depending on a certain amount of XB physical and digital sales outside of the GP subscription model on covering development costs, this wouldn't be the ideal situation if that's the case (i.e., XB gamers waiting for GamePass releases).

Hopefully, RE8 digital sales on XB systems are fairing much better.

Interesting, just had a look and yeah, supply is low enough for the Series S in the US that it's selling for 420-540 USD on Amazon.

Also interestingly, the cheapest Xbox Series S sold on Amazon's US storefront? The EU version.

Amazon.com: Xbox Series S - 512GB SSD Console with Wireless Controller, Minecraft Full Game - EU Console with US Adapter Cable: Video Games

423.20 USD at the time I linked it.

I'm guessing there aren't any stock problems or it isn't nearly as bad in Europe as in the US if they are selling the EU version of the XBS-S in the US at a much cheaper price than the NA version of the XBS-S. :p

Oh and that includes the added cost of an adapter cable so that you can use it in the US. :D

Interesting thing to note about all of this... Most of the XBS-S listings are at a higher price (500+ USD) point than the MSRP for the XBS-X or PS5 (499 USD). :p

Regards,
SB

Looks like Microsoft need to slow shipping to the EU and increase proportionally in the US. It's definitely been available in the UK for a while.

I do wonder how many XB gamers are simply waiting for full-priced retail games like Resident Evil: Village to show up on GamePass.
There's also the fact that XSS is a thing.
I know that PS5DD is a thing also, but I think MS probably has had a higher portion of their sales via DD compared to physical and that will likely only grow.
This is just a feeling, can't remember if read it somewhere before.

I do wonder how many XB gamers are simply waiting for full-priced retail games like Resident Evil: Village to show up on GamePass. If developers are depending on a certain amount of XB physical and digital sales outside of the GP subscription model on covering development costs, this wouldn't be the ideal situation if that's the case (i.e., XB gamers waiting for GamePass releases).
From an older post of mine
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2202256/
Yes it now seems that its becoming a trend, Xbox software sales seem to be a lot less than they should be, I think it is caused by gamepass. In a year or so looking at the big software makers revenue splits for platforms should make this more clear

I wonder if we will see unexpected (well not really) consequences from gamepass.
1/ If Title X is only gonna sell ~10% on xbox is it worthwhile going multiplatform? I guess so since porting even at 10% would be more than the price of porting
Though if its on GP, why then would you spend money on the PS version, so PS software could suffer as well from GP
2/ if you have GP and access to hundreds of games (more than you can possibly play due to hours in a day) then would you spend money on others (big titles excepted cyberpunk,GTA6,COD or whatever title youre addicted to) so perhaps *all* software on xbox will start selling less
3/ I'm guessing theres gonna be a lot less big budget exclusive xbox game (MS developed games excepted)

On phones when 99c/free apps became the norm the market for higher priced titles disappeared, leaving a lot of quickly developed shovelware

This could be a paradigm shift, Nintendo won't follow but will Sony?

@zed

Microsoft has directly disputed that notion a number of times. They have claimed games appearing on game pass sell better and have people playing them much more. (Which should lead to more digital item sales). Is your data tracking digital sales?

I haven't seen it mentioned about game pass since the launch of the new consoles, but I don't know how much that would change it.

From an older post of mine
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2202256/
Yes it now seems that its becoming a trend, Xbox software sales seem to be a lot less than they should be, I think it is caused by gamepass. In a year or so looking at the big software makers revenue splits for platforms should make this more clear

I wonder if we will see unexpected (well not really) consequences from gamepass.
1/ If Title X is only gonna sell ~10% on xbox is it worthwhile going multiplatform? I guess so since porting even at 10% would be more than the price of porting
Though if its on GP, why then would you spend money on the PS version, so PS software could suffer as well from GP
2/ if you have GP and access to hundreds of games (more than you can possibly play due to hours in a day) then would you spend money on others (big titles excepted cyberpunk,GTA6,COD or whatever title youre addicted to) so perhaps *all* software on xbox will start selling less
3/ I'm guessing theres gonna be a lot less big budget exclusive xbox game (MS developed games excepted)

On phones when 99c/free apps became the norm the market for higher priced titles disappeared, leaving a lot of quickly developed shovelware

This could be a paradigm shift, Nintendo won't follow but will Sony?

I'm not sure we'll see anything in FY reports from major publishers since most major publishers have committed fully to Game Pass yet.

However, if Indie and AA developers are anything to go by, in general what we've heard from them is that game purchases have increased significantly for their titles after they put them on Game Pass. Easy to see why, as most "gamers" are hesitant to buy indie titles. In some of the more eye opening cases, developers have seen their sales increase +700% after putting their title on Game Pass (linked to and talked about in the Game Pass thread). And subsequently selling more titles after being on Game Pass than for the entire life of their title since launching their game but before putting it on Game Pass.

That said, while Game Pass serves to increase game purchases of Indie games, it remains to be seen whether it will or won't have a similar effect on AAA titles.

Considering that as time goes by, titles from larger publishers have come to Game Pass at an increasing rate, it at least shows that some of the larger publishers are seeing reasons to have their titles on Game Pass.

Regards,
SB

I could only find one story that mentioned sales going up when a game was on game pass, this was from mike rose of the small indie game 'no more robots' , though he doesnt give any actual data it could be from 23 -> 65. But if you have any other data, share

If Gamepass was such a good deal for publishers why did Capcom not release the new resident evil game on it already? After all its just a win for all involved
In fact why are not all the publishers releasing their games on gamepass? Do they just not know about gamepass?
Personally I'm guessing no big publisher thinks releasing on gamepass is a good idea unless MS gives them X million upfront to compensate for the lost sales

Has this ever happened in any other field, eg potato crisps become free and sales go up because ppl go I like the gesture and because I like it so much I'm gonna buy a packet of crisps (and not take a free one) just to show my support for the company.
Hmmm I suppose I could see this happening

Last edited:
I could only find one story that mentioned sales going up when a game was on game pass, this was from mike rose of the small indie game 'no more robots' , though he doesnt give any actual data it could be from 23 -> 65. But if you have any other data, share

If Gamepass was such a good deal for publishers why did Capcom not release the new resident evil game on it already? After all its just a win for all involved
In fact why are not all the publishers releasing their games on gamepass? Do they just not know about gamepass?
Personally I'm guessing no big publisher thinks releasing on gamepass is a good idea unless MS gives them X million upfront to compensate for the lost sales

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-increases-game-sales-and-playtime-says-microsoft

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-13-phil-spencer-game-pass-leads-to-more-game-sales

Last edited:
the 1st link is actually worse than I would expect it to be, this has been discussed multiple times before, see one of my old posts. basically you make something free then more ppl are gonna use it, well duh

2nd link, State of decay 2, you do realize they launched this at half price, when was the last time a AAA game launched for $29.99 (perhaps they do, no idea?)
"Spencer says that putting games on Game Pass actually increases sales of the individual game."
If this was true then all these xbox games that are now only selling 20-40% of what the Playstation manages, would be even worse without gamepass perhaps 10% :mrgreen:
As they say "These seems counter-intuitive"

EDIT - Wow, I've just thought of something, the new halo game is coming out sometime in the next year (I think) Now without gamepass this would of been easily number 1 like every other halo game, but Just think of all the extra sales they will get by also releasing on gamepass on launch day.
GTAV finally has competition for the biggest opening ever. :yes:

Last edited:
the 1st link is actually worse than I would expect it to be, this has been discussed multiple times before, see one of my old posts. basically you make something free then more ppl are gonna use it, well duh

2nd link, State of decay 2, you do realize they launched this at half price, when was the last time a AAA game launched for $29.99 (perhaps they do, no idea?)
"Spencer says that putting games on Game Pass actually increases sales of the individual game."
If this was true then all these xbox games that are now only selling 20-40% of what the Playstation manages, would be even worse without gamepass perhaps 10% :mrgreen:
As they say "These seems counter-intuitive"

EDIT - Wow, I've just thought of something, the new halo game is coming out sometime in the next year (I think) Now without gamepass this would of been easily number 1 like every other halo game, but Just think of all the extra sales they will get by also releasing on gamepass on launch day.
GTAV finally has competition for the biggest opening ever. :yes:

You've taken physical sales of a couple of games tied in your own assumptions and added snark.

I don't know the truth of it for every title, and there's a point where MS wouldn't pay to have every title on gamepass, certainly not at once. I believe a lot of developers will see value in getting a guarantee pay out up front even if it negatively impacts sales.

Has this ever happened in any other field, eg potato crisps become free and sales go up because ppl go I like the gesture and because I like it so much I'm gonna buy a packet of crisps (and not take a free one) just to show my support for the company.
Hmmm I suppose I could see this happening

Thats like saying, "if Netflix and other sub-based content providers are good for content owners, why doesn't everyone launch big theatre releases on such services from day one?"

The model for AAA games is to release at full prices and transition to sub-based service when sales die.

The question to ask is, does Game Pass makes sense for publishers once their games are far from release and when their games exist amongst 10,000s of titles receiving minimal marketing at most?

Not, can MS afford to pay me 100s of millions of dollars to put my AAA game on Gamepass at release?

Furthermore, looking at physical sales doesn't tell us much anymore.

Xbox is a more digital distribution-centric platform. It's been heavily pushing gamers to try GamePass for years, thus encouraging everyone to download digital titles. There is nothing that says the behavior of Xbox and Sony gamers is the same when choosing DL over physical.

Go look at best sellers in video games and separate by platform and just games. Both the PS5 and PS4 best-selling skus are dominated by physical titles. The Xbox One doesn't even have a physical title in its top 10 video games. The Xbox Series X/S only has three.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-Xbox-One/zgbs/videogames/6469296011
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/20972814011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_videogames

Ubisoft is one of the few publishers that still breaks down revenue by platform. Last quarter Sony garnered 27% while MS garnered 23%. Last quarter for EA 2/3rds of its full game sales was through DL. Last quarter Activision, consoles were its top platform for revenue at $799 million (out of $2.2 billion), yet retail channels only generated 7% of that revenue. Digital online channels generated 88% of that revenue.

To put this into perspective, RE8 is the second biggest PS5 title in terms of physical sales this year. It still sold 40% fewer physical units than RE7 (a late January release) which was outsold by both RE5 and RE6.

Last edited:
Thats like saying, "if Netflix and other sub-based content providers are good for content owners, why doesn't everyone launch big theatre releases on such services from day one?"

The model for AAA games is to release at full prices and transition to sub-based service when sales die.

The question to ask is, does Game Pass makes sense for publishers once their games are far from release and when their games exist amongst 10,000s of titles receiving minimal marketing at most?

Not, can MS afford to pay me 100s of millions of dollars to put my AAA game on Gamepass at release?

Furthermore, looking at physical sales doesn't tell us much anymore.

Xbox is a more digital distribution-centric platform. It's been heavily pushing gamers to try GamePass for years, thus encouraging everyone to download digital titles. There is nothing that says the behavior of Xbox and Sony gamers is the same when choosing DL over physical.

Go look at best sellers in video games and separate by platform and just games. Both the PS5 and PS4 best-selling skus are dominated by physical titles. The Xbox One doesn't even have a physical title in its top 10 video games. The Xbox Series X/S only has three.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-Xbox-One/zgbs/videogames/6469296011
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/20972814011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_videogames

Ubisoft is one of the few publishers that still breaks down revenue by platform. Last quarter Sony garnered 27% while MS garnered 23%. Last quarter for EA 2/3rds of its full game sales was through DL. Last quarter Activision, consoles were its top platform for revenue at $799 million (out of $2.2 billion), yet retail channels only generated 7% of that revenue. Digital online channels generated 88% of that revenue.

To put this into perspective, RE8 is the second biggest PS5 title in terms of physical sales this year. It still sold 40% fewer physical units than RE7 (a late January release) which was outsold by both RE5 and RE6.

Even for Sony, Digital contains the lions share of sales. Sony reported that in Q4, digital made up 79% of all software (game) revenue.

Regards,
SB

It was the MS guy (not me) that brought up the releasing a game on gamepass will make make you sell more of that game, So any beef with this assertion you can take up with him. I was just pointing out it was obviously bogus.

Ubisoft is one of the few publishers that still breaks down revenue by platform.
OK thanks, so we have some data lets look at it (next month ubisoft's next report comes out so we can also add that as well)
This is all revenue, physical,downloads whatever,
Hey it could just be a coincidence that they started to earn less with xbox hardware after gamepass came out (who truly knows), its just another data point.
Btw this is only comparing Xbox one and ps4, next report will have the ps5 & series x/s

View with firefox to see image (basically it shows post gamepass ubisoft didnt make as much money with the xbox one, a very sizable difference)
ubisoft.jpg

Last edited:
Back