Xbox Series X|S Backward Compatibility Enhancements Detailed [XSX|S BC]

Feels like it'd be too many button presses to switch categories if the box selector is on the far right of the screen already (no tabbed switching with bumpers probably).

Wonder if they'll make use of the triggers for page up/down or to switch between categories.

Feels like it'd be too many button presses to switch categories if the box selector is on the far right of the screen already (no tabbed switching with bumpers probably).

Wonder if they'll make use of the triggers for page up/down or to switch between categories.

My thinking that's the PC version of the store. Different tabs on the main interface for the Xbox version will be needed.

Tommy McClain

Would there be much in settings page.
The impression I get is that this is specifically the new xbox store, not the general Xbox UI.

I wanted to see if it's still possible to disable autoplay of trailers, like in the current xbox store.

Reactions: Jay
Possible, but the point was made that this was xbox and hope it comes to PC also.

PC store had been in need of work since the release of WIN 10.

I thought it was interesting that Brad was using a mouse for navigation but Jez said only controller was supported even though he was using it on a PC. It looks well done. Hopefully it's supported on all Xbox One/Series consoles.

Tommy McClain

I thought it was interesting that Brad was using a mouse for navigation but Jez said only controller was supported even though he was using it on a PC. It looks well done. Hopefully it's supported on all Xbox One/Series consoles.

Tommy McClain
I expect that to be the speed on xsx, but do wonder about XO og though.
As I expect it to be rolled out to both XO and the Xbox Series.
If lucky PC also.
Makes sense MS has a single dashboard and apps for the foreseeable future just for support and maintenance reasons if nothing else.

FPS Boost listing @ https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

E0ee3NAWQAA4ViD

upload_2021-5-3_16-0-27.png

upload_2021-5-3_16-0-56.png

upload_2021-5-3_16-1-33.png

upload_2021-5-3_16-2-0.png

Pretty interesting list of FPS boosted titles. There's also some F2P titles in there along with indie games as well as quite a few UBIsoft games and even a SEGA game (Yakuza 6).

Regards,
SB

It's a shame that the 120hz games are in the base Xbox One resolution considering most new TVs would be VRR HDMI 2.1 capable. Anything upwards of 60hz would be a nice improvement.

I wonder if those backwards compatibility games will get resolution boost in the future due to Super Resolution. Auto HDR, FPS boost, possible resolution boost...

It's a shame that the 120hz games are in the base Xbox One resolution considering most new TVs would be VRR HDMI 2.1 capable. Anything upwards of 60hz would be a nice improvement.
I've not gone through list to look at all the resolutions, but it's a limited subset that run in XO mode on XSX.

I've not gone through list to look at all the resolutions, but it's a limited subset that run in XO mode on XSX.

Which 120hz BC games run higher than 1080p?

Which 120hz BC games run higher than 1080p?
I guess that will be how we define BC :)
There are enhanced BC editions that enable them to go up to 120Hz but keep the resolution. Technically they are classified as X|S enhanced, but they didn’t really change anything but some settings.

enhanced BC titles like Ori, Tourist, CODWz, SW:Squadrons all run 120fps and I’m fairly positive they are greater than 1080p.

Mass Effect legendary edition is also BC; that is 1440p@120.

looking at the recently released list: wouldn’t be surprised if BF1 and BFV and SW:BF2 all ran above 1080p@120fps. As XSX runs the X1X edition if available. So technically any X1X title at 60 FPS > 1080p bumped to 120fps should qualify. Not too many though

Last edited:
I guess that will be how we define BC :)
There are enhanced BC editions that enable them to go up to 120Hz but keep the resolution. Technically they are classified as X|S enhanced, but they didn’t really change anything but some settings.

enhanced BC titles like Ori, Tourist, CODWz, SW:Squadrons all run 120fps and I’m fairly positive they are greater than 1080p.

Mass Effect legendary edition is also BC; that is 1440p@120.

looking at the recently released list: wouldn’t be surprised if BF1 and BFV and SW:BF2 all ran above 1080p@120fps. As XSX runs the X1X edition if available. So technically any X1X title at 60 FPS > 1080p bumped to 120fps should qualify. Not too many though

The list isn't inclusive of cross generation games. I don't think any of the list of backwards compatible games @120hz run higher than 1080p.

I personally think that Microsoft should allow for XOX games to run with an unlocked framerate at the XOX resolution on HDMI 2.1 VRR compatible displays.

It'd make it a very tempting proposition for people that have the required display. The XSX would be a must buy for anyone using HDMI 2.1 screens.

For someone like me using a PS5 atm, I can already play cross gen games at 120hz (those that have it available) and not need a XSX. Whereas allowing for the above would make it incredibly tempting to get an Xbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
The list isn't inclusive of cross generation games. I don't think any of the list of backwards compatible games @120hz run higher than 1080p.

If FPSBoost is enabled by default, then it may be higher than 1080p. Those are the games I would look at first from the list. They have it default to off when it would be running OneS settings instead.

Here's the list to look through: https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

Title, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S
Battle Chasers: Nightwar 120hz 120hz
Battlefield 4 120hz 120hz
Battlefield Hardline 120hz 120hz
DiRT 4 120hz Not Available
Don’t Starve: Giant Edition 120hz 120hz
Golf with your Friends 120hz 120hz
Halo: Spartan Assault 120hz 120hz
Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition 120hz 120hz
Island Saver 120hz 120hz
LEGO Marvel Superheroes 120hz 60hz
LEGO Marvel’s Avengers 120hz 60hz
LEGO The Hobbit 120hz 60hz
Mad Max 120hz 60hz
Metro 2033 Redux 120hz 120hz
Metro: Last Light Redux 120hz 120hz
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst 120hz Not Available
Moving Out 120hz 120hz
My Friend Pedro 120hz 120hz
New Super Lucky’s Tale 120hz 120hz
Overcooked! 2 120hz 120hz
Paladins 120hz 120hz
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 120hz 120hz
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 120hz 120hz
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid 120hz 120hz
Realm Royale 120hz 120hz
STAR WARS Battlefront 120hz 120hz
Super Lucky’s Tale 120hz 120hz
SUPERHOT 120hz 120hz
The Gardens Between 120hz 60hz
The LEGO Movie Videogame 120hz 120hz
Titanfall 120hz Not Available
Totally Reliable Delivery Service 120hz 120hz
Unruly Heroes 120hz 120hz
Untitled Goose Game 120hz 120hz

And here are the ones which run OneS settings if FPSBoost is enabled by the user, since they default to Off.

Title, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Off by Default on Series X
Battlefield 1 120hz Not Available ✔
Battlefield V 120hz Not Available ✔
Hyperscape 120hz 120hz ✔
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville 120hz 120hz ✔
SMITE 120hz 120hz ✔
STAR WARS Battlefront II 120hz Not Available ✔
Titanfall 2 120hz 120hz ✔
Unravel 2 120hz 120hz ✔

Back