Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

It is smaller by 1/2 IIRC. The RBEs on RDNA2 are double pumped. This is okay and will produce similar results to a full sized ROP from RDNA 1, but I believe some precision math it cannot be double pumped so it runs at 1/2 rate. This is the trade off essentially.

?

I thought the number of RBEs were cut in half for RDNA2 but the number of ROPs per RBE was doubled .

Last edited:
As an XSX owner with GP I'm not at all worried: SFS, Mesh Shaders, INT4/8, VRS, 30+ Dev teams means I'll be playing a lot of beautiful games over the next 7 years that will be competitive with what Sony has to offer.

As an XSX owner with GP I'm not at all worried: SFS, Mesh Shaders, INT4/8, VRS, 30+ Dev teams means I'll be playing a lot of beautiful games over the next 7 years that will be competitive with what Sony has to offer.
As a XSX owner I agree to some extent, however its up to devs to adopt and use those features such as Mesh shaders, SFS etc. Devs are typically slow on the uptake, and even if they changed their engines right now to adopt them, the fruits of that won't be seen for years.

While the Xbox One was a legit disaster, it may have been a blessing in the long run. Since then MS has released two really high level consoles in the One X and XSX, ramped up those BC initiatives and gone hard on introducing things like Gamepass.
This might not have happened if they had done a better job with the OG One and coasted like they did in the 360 era.

Sounds good

the XSX footage looks good and “rock solid 60 FPS” sounds great. I am really curious for DF analysis but big if true. There was a great blog post how they achieve their version of rt gi on pc and soon should come updated blog about how they achieve that on consoles.
As this will be very rt heavy title I wonder how the performance will look across consoles.

Hmm. The way I see it is that it’s
64 ROPS for PS5
And 32 ROPS for XSX. Double pumped to have an equivalent output to 64ROPS. But double pumping only certain types of formats.

Even if that's the case and it uses a fmt which is slower how much does that actually impact the *real* FPS. It's the same argument as how much real impact has higher SSD bandwidth for overall load times.

I am not seeing examples of alpha effects tanking performance on the Series consoles. Certainly not in games released of late or since around March. Most of these games seem to run at equal performance on both consoles with the XSX usually also running at higher res compared to the PS5. Come to the end of this year we will start to see games released that are developed primarily with these current-gen consoles in mind, with the last-gen versions developed elsewhere.

It did appear so for a moment with muzzle flash differences (absent) in Call of Duty etc and that potentially being the cause of differences where the Series X underperformed VS the competition. But it seems there are more and more bandwidth saving routines on all platforms that this will probably end up not being a major limiting factor.

It did appear so for a moment with muzzle flash differences (absent) in Call of Duty etc and that potentially being the cause of differences where the Series X underperformed VS the competition. But it seems there are more and more bandwidth saving routines on all platforms that this will probably end up not being a major limiting factor.
That can easily have been a bug or something, and besides, I said games that have been released of late or since around March. CoD came out in Nov.
IMO whatever was tanking performance on the XSX at the start I personally doubt it has anything to do with ROPs. AFAIK ROPs and the associated alpha effects still need bandwidth, and the XSX has more than the PS5. These issues have suddenly stopped appearing. The performance profile of the XSX has changed and improved in games of late. That should tell us something about the state of the software environment at launch.

That can easily have been a bug or something, and besides, I said games that have been released of late or since around March. CoD came out in Nov.
IMO whatever was tanking performance on the XSX at the start I personally doubt it has anything to do with ROPs. AFAIK ROPs and the associated alpha effects still need bandwidth, and the XSX has more than the PS5. These issues have suddenly stopped appearing. The performance profile of the XSX has changed and improved in games of late. That should tell us something about the state of the software environment at launch.
It’s going to be a ROP or culling issue, outside of this there isn’t much stronger explanation. It may not just be alpha effects it could be an overdraw issue as well.

I would say time will show the true issue eventually.

I don't know what these times were previously. But this youtuber believes the feature is much faster now (although his counting is always one second off).

Well, it seems to be definitely faster. I guess the problem before wasn't the loading from the SSD, but more the problem to "detect" if a saved state was needed. Before the update it needed some time before the "quick resume" logo in the top right corner appeared. Now the logo is instantly there. So I guess they optimized a bit the loading workflow. Maybe they now also use HW-compression, because even ~6s is really fast, as the "old" game must get saved back to the SSD and the new gets loaded.

So I guess they optimized a bit the loading workflow. Maybe they now also use HW-compression, because even ~6s is really fast, as the "old" game must get saved back to the SSD and the new gets loaded.

How does Quick Resume work when games update? E.g. if you play Gears 5 on version 1.04, switch out to play Halo 5 and while playing Halo Gears 5 gets an update, does Quick Resume still work with the patched version of the game?

Looks as quick as the XSS now lol

What I want to know is how to have the menu like it is in the video...I find mine a mess and I'd love to have it like that but no idea how...

How does Quick Resume work when games update? E.g. if you play Gears 5 on version 1.04, switch out to play Halo 5 and while playing Halo Gears 5 gets an update, does Quick Resume still work with the patched version of the game?
As far as I know (never had that situation) this does not work. The game will "end" and get patched. I don't even know how it should work in another way. But you can at least restart your console without loosing those states, but I don't know how it behaves with console-updates.
Maybe you want to turn off automatic updates. But as soon as an update is available, the game normally asks you if you want to patch it or run it "offline".

Looks as quick as the XSS now lol

What I want to know is how to have the menu like it is in the video...I find mine a mess and I'd love to have it like that but no idea how...
I'm in the delta-preview channel (to many updates in the other channels and sometime bugs that prevent games from starting). This is already rolled out there for quite some time. I even saw a few games that were in quick-resume state, I haven't played for month ^^ (ah.. that could actually mean, that quick-resume is normally "firmwareupdate safe")
Well, xbox wire just writes something about may update. So it might not be out for everyone, as those updates get released in waves.

As far as I know (never had that situation) this does not work. The game will "end" and get patched. I don't even know how it should work in another way. But you can at least restart your console without loosing those states, but I don't know how it behaves with console-updates.
Maybe you want to turn off automatic updates. But as soon as an update is available, the game normally asks you if you want to patch it or run it "offline".

I'm in the delta-preview channel (to many updates in the other channels and sometime bugs that prevent games from starting). This is already rolled out there for quite some time. I even saw a few games that were in quick-resume state, I haven't played for month ^^ (ah.. that could actually mean, that quick-resume is normally "firmwareupdate safe")
Well, xbox wire just writes something about may update. So it might not be out for everyone, as those updates get released in waves.
cheers, QR is a complete mystery to me - sometimes a game I have played for ages works then other times a game just drops off the QR list and I have to start again for no reason. Weird.

So is XSS much faster now also or negligible impact?

Guess someone will do a before and after comparison soon enough on both machines.
I went from XSX to XSS because I snagged a 3070 and thought I couldn’t justify the XSS. To me it does everything quicker from boot up to moving around the dashboard and most importantly doing all those rewards. It was like night and day...just so much snappier.

cheers, QR is a complete mystery to me - sometimes a game I have played for ages works then other times a game just drops off the QR list and I have to start again for no reason. Weird.

I went from XSX to XSS because I snagged a 3070 and thought I couldn’t justify the XSS. To me it does everything quicker from boot up to moving around the dashboard and most importantly doing all those rewards. It was like night and day...just so much snappier.
Umm are you saying that the Xbox Series S is so much faster and so much snappier than the Xbox Series X? Because I find that very difficult to believe....Or are you comparing the Series S to the One X?

Back