Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's bonkers some people will be upset at having to wait 8.5 seconds. I mean, how the hell are you going to fill 8.5 whole seconds??? Clearly the agony of multi-minute load times from last gen are already fading in people's minds...

Most people aren't likely to be upset by the 8.5 seconds. But it does matter in 2 arenas. [1] Technical analyses and [2] my console is better than yours arguments. :p

It's possible I missed the sarcasm in your post. :)

Regards,
SB

Most people aren't likely to be upset by the 8.5 seconds. But it does matter in 2 arenas. [1] Technical analyses and [2] my console is better than yours arguments. :p

It's possible I missed the sarcasm in your post. :)

Regards,
SB
whoa.. common now. 100 loads for a game. 7.5 seconds saving. That's 750 seconds. That's nearly 12+ minutes of loading screen differences over the course of the game. Lot's of people can do a lot with 10 more minutes in their lives ;) Some marriages could use that time to work on some much needed TLC; might be able to fit 6 sessions in there if you're fast enough.

it still puzzles me how evo studios were able to make loadings so fast in driveclub on PS4, you would not wait more than 10s either to load a race from the menus.

whoa.. common now. 100 loads for a game. 7.5 seconds saving. That's 750 seconds. That's nearly 12+ minutes of loading screen differences over the course of the game. Lot's of people can do a lot with 10 more minutes in their lives ;) Some marriages could use that time to work on some much needed TLC; might be able to fit 6 sessions in there if you're fast enough.
That’s what quick resume is for lol

Great overall performance for all consoles. Series S oddly performing quite well at 1440p. Hopefully we'll see more of this going forward as we drop off last generation. RT definitely needed to come down in resolution however and get closer to holding a locked 30.

Nothing odd about it. As developers start to take advantage of the new hardware inside of these consoles the series s will perform better until of course the hardware in all three is pushed far past its prime and they start declining like last gen systems.

this is the beauty of the series s. Its extremely low cost and slots into the current price point of last gen systems while offering an experiance you can't get on those systems.

At this point if your looking at buying a console in the $300 range your choice is a ps4 , xbox one s or series s. The series s is an easy winner

Quick Resume removes all further game loads, possibly knocking that horrible 8.5 seconds down to merely 4 seconds, so just bit under 6 minutes delta. Maybe. Possibly.

EDIT: @higherARC alluded to this already.

Performance advantage in rt mode in heavy scanes roughly around 10-15% for xsx, ps5 very fast loading times 1.5s, 8.5s on xsx

Do you have a timestamp for this percentage?

I remember Rich mentioning 9-10% dealing with demo, which John referred back to as being the case with the actual retail game as timestamped.

Do you have a timestamp for this percentage?

I remember Rich mentioning 9-10% dealing with demo, which John referred back to as being the case with the actual retail game as timestamped.
nah just John confirmed is roughly same as in demo but his scene with most drops is quite dynamic and you don't have same drops per second on both console so not so easy to compare but more drops on ps5

"So PS5 has faster loading and Xbox Series X has an edge in frame-rate when using ray tracing but, honestly, both versions are extremely close to one another. It's one of the closest calls we've seen and it feels like Capcom has done justice to the two new machines "

This is the best takeaway from John's analysis and what Capcom has delivered. The game really does look beautiful on both consoles.

I get the distinct feeling that load times are a bit not right or par for par in the implementation of loading across consoles. Obviously, the PS5's SSD is not that many times faster than a series S or Xs. Most likely a different loading implementation where Series console's are not being taken advantage of in comparison.

Ok thanks makes sense.

it still puzzles me how evo studios were able to make loadings so fast in driveclub on PS4, you would not wait more than 10s either to load a race from the menus.
That has just something to do with priorities in the dev-process and streaming-capabilities of the engine. Loading times were never a priority before. Even >1m was acceptable for most players. This seems to be different now as Sony gave loading times a focus in their PS5 campaign. So the SSD can now even helps games that were not optimized for a quick loading cycle.

I am pretty sure that loading difference is due to something not implemented for Xbox Series. Like 7s difference? That's too much. Maybe the patch will fix it.

I am pretty sure that loading difference is due to something not implemented for Xbox Series. Like 7s difference? That's too much. Maybe the patch will fix it.
Those loadings on Xbox are quite good and are consistent with the loading of the others games, first party of third party. And those loadings on PS5 are also consistent will most recent first party games on PS5 with 1-2 seconds loading. There is also a big difference in Genshin using BC mode + SSD (8:37) or native PS5 mode SSD (2:40). As we can see the custom PS5 I/O is improving the loading by 3.5x in Genshin.

Most others third party games were only using the SSD with the BC mode so the results were similar to Xbox Series loadings. But as you can see with Genshin, the custom I/O on PS5 is really that fast. Just get used to those 3x to 5x faster loadings on PS5 because they are going to become the norm when more third party devs will start to use the custom I/O API.

I get the distinct feeling that load times are a bit not right or par for par in the implementation of loading across consoles. Obviously, the PS5's SSD is not that many times faster than a series S or Xs. Most likely a different loading implementation where Series console's are not being taken advantage of in comparison.

I am not surprised tbh, i was expecting much worse performance on xbox consoles having in mind that sony had some sweet deal with capcom and all footage before was only shown on sonys consoles. I can only suspect that sonys consoles got more of the developing time, and xsx/s sdd optimisations perhaps were not ready when they were developing this tile.

Those loadings on Xbox are quite good and are consistent with the loading of the others games, first party of third party. And those loadings on PS5 are also consistent will most recent first party games on PS5 with 1-2 seconds loading. There is also a big difference in Genshin using BC mode + SSD (8:37) or native PS5 mode SSD (2:40). As we can see the custom PS5 I/O is improving the loading by 3.5x in Genshin.

Most others third party games were only using the SSD with the BC mode so the results were similar to Xbox Series loadings. But as you can see with Genshin, the custom I/O on PS5 is really that fast. Just get used to those 3x to 5x faster loadings on PS5 because they are going to become the norm when more third party devs will start to use the custom I/O API.
I guess it will be the norm on both plattforms when the last gen is no longer supported. Currently it is just easier for developers to deliver one package for "all" (one for the xbox eco system and one package for the playstation eco system). But the build-tools and -workflows etc will evolve. As soon as techs are adopted that only what is needed for the next few frames is actually loaded, we will see this on a regular basis.
Just don't forget, the PS5 could fill the whole memory in a few seconds, but normally for a game-start you don't need to fill it. Most of the memory in the current-gen consoles should be used to calculate stuff and not to be a HDD buffer.

Please focus on the DF Videos and Articles and less on what others belief patterns are.

Most others third party games were only using the SSD with the BC mode
Your comment makes no sense. We know PS5 BC mode is limited to ~600mb/s and games in BC have very long loading times. Native games load much faster across the board. Not all ~2 seconds, though. Resident Evil developers just optimized their code more by the looks of it. nevertheless every native game is using the full bandwidth and aren't using the SSD in BC mode.

re8 definitely doesn't support quick resume properly, I've had it failed twice and seen other users report crashes. Weird since almost every game is fine with it, but I'd rather have good performance at launch than perfect quick resume at launch tbh

Maybe some more evidence for the 'ps5 is primary platform' theory though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back