Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I also aren't too impressed at all, same with Returnal, neither are very impressive
I was so stoked for Returnal until I found out what type of game it is. Knowing the developer, I don't know why I expected to be different.

Somewhat ironically, I often complain that Sony exclusives are mostly 3rd person action games with a narrative focus. And that's exactly what I wanted Returnal to be, but it's more of a bullet hell rogue-like.

First RT comparison based on full version is up
However, during shootings the performance is practically the same.
You know what's usually more taxed (than usual) during shooting? CPU. This is not a suprise as this is a regular pattern now in many comparisons since basically the start of next-gen. XSX has often some kind of lead when its GPU / bandwidth limited but that gap is often gone once the CPU start to be more seriously used, usually during more representative gameplay scenes.

You know what's usually more taxed (than usual) during shooting? CPU. This is not a suprise as this is a regular pattern now in many comparisons since basically the start of next-gen. XSX has often some kind of lead when its GPU / bandwidth limited but that gap is often gone once the CPU start to be more seriously used, usually during more representative gameplay scenes.
you sure it isn't culling and overdraw? How are you differentiating the two?

First RT comparison based on full version is up

Yeah, PS5/XBSX/S owners should stick to the non-RT mode. While the frame drops aren't necessarily lengthy, however, seeing both systems drop into the low 50s (and even the 40s) isn't a pleasant gaming experience IMHO. Capcom should provide console gamers with a 30fps capped RT-mode as well.

Yeah, PS5/XBSX/S owners should stick to the non-RT mode. While the frame drops aren't necessarily lengthy, however, seeing both systems drop into the low 50s (and even the 40s) isn't a pleasant gaming experience IMHO. Capcom should provide console gamers with a 30fps capped RT-mode as well.

I dunno, sporadic dips into the 50s aren't that bad with VRR. I'll definitely play RT on.

Hmm i dont know, i feel like dips are not so brutal for most of the time (1-2 fps) and with RE kinda slow pace it will not be so bad. I am glad they didnt cap fps to 30fps. Maybe they could go with RT inside the castle only? Outside it doesn't provide so much visual fidelity compared to how much its cost. They should definitely go with RT shadows outside, imo game would look much better.

nah, played demo village and din't notice much this 50ish drops, I read there are also drops to 45 both on xsx and ps5 but probably not that often tough this rt effect is subtle so playing rock steady 60 without is not bad idea

Yeah, VRR will be the ticket for those owners of such TV sets. PS5 gamers on the other hand... well...

VRR is coming for the PS5. After announcing several times in official statements, Sony would be open to a class action suit if they just forgot about it. And rightly so.

I don't know what the hell is going on with the PS5 firmware team, though. We're 6 months into the console gen and there's still nothing on VRR or internal M2 expansion.

Although we're indeed getting what's probably the best ever 1st year of 1st/2nd party exclusives in a new console, it's not like Sony's console firmware team is developing games, so this is getting boderline inexcusable IMO.

VRR is coming for the PS5. After announcing several times in official statements, Sony would be open to a class action suit if they just forgot about it. And rightly so.

I don't know what the hell is going on with the PS5 firmware team, though. We're 6 months into the console gen and there's still nothing on VRR or internal M2 expansion.

Although we're indeed getting what's probably the best ever 1st year of 1st/2nd party exclusives in a new console, it's not like Sony's console firmware team is developing games, so this is getting boderline inexcusable IMO.
NXGamer thoughts about ps5 vrr delay

I don't think class action lawsuits are much of a deterrent. Remember when Sony cut linux support on PS3? If you could prove you used it, Sony would compensate you $55. Otherwise you were entitled to $9. And that was a feature provided and removed.

But VRR will come. I bang on about this a lot but when Sony debuted PS4 in February 2013, they demonstrated sleep/resume and heavily marketed the immediacy this feature provided gamers. When did sleep/resume actually ship? In firmware 2.50 released in March 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
The omission of VRR isnt all that much of a problem anyway, not a huge thing to be without..
I dunno, VRR is very good if you have the TV. I 100% expect it to be on ps5 soon, so for anybody not playing this game at launch or playing it on xbox the unlocked framerate is a blessing imo.

VRR feels like a monitor play. Those of us who upgraded to 4K TVs for mid-gen refresh are probably not ready to replace the set yet to get one that includes VRR. Which is a bulk of those enthusiasts who were already willing to pay for 4K TVs etc.

I'm not sure how many people upgrading from XBO/PS4 era are going to gun for a new tv with HDMI2.1 just for VRR. Monitor and desk setups make a lot of sense though given their price differential.

Those of us who upgraded to 4K TVs for mid-gen refresh are probably not ready to replace the set yet to get one that includes VRR. Which is a bulk of those enthusiasts who were already willing to pay for 4K TVs etc.
How long has VRR been on TV's, maybe not at 4K but seems like a while now.
So I wouldn't be surprised that it's relatively common for the hardcore gamer for want of a better term.
Not common for general Joe though.

For the people that have it, it can make a big difference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back